Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 04:07 PM

30 posts, read 82,827 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone- we are looking for some good opinions on living in polk county.........we love lakeland and was wondering if there are any other areas near lakeland that are also nice? We are in our late 40's , kids in college so we do not worry about schools, and still working. we will most likely be working in either tampa or orlando but want to settle around lakeland or some other nice polk county city.........any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 04:42 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,292 times
Default Auburndale

I would have to say North Auburndale is one of the best areas of Polk County. Anywhere along Lake Juliana/Lake Tennessee is a great place to live. The only downside is that you have to travel 5 miles for everything. There are plans to add stores in the near future so I think it is an excellent place to buy. Plus it's right off I-4 so you have quick easy access. Polk City is also an option if you like more rural living.

I'm always surprised when people say they like Lakeland . Out of the whole city there are only a couple nice areas . I take it you were in South Lakeland or downtown? There are some nice areas of north north Lakeland near I-4 also but overall the city is not a place I would move to.

I live in east Lakeland now and really miss the North Auburndale area. I'm tired of all the crime here. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:47 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrnwriter View Post
Hi everyone- we are looking for some good opinions on living in polk county.........we love lakeland and was wondering if there are any other areas near lakeland that are also nice? We are in our late 40's , kids in college so we do not worry about schools, and still working. we will most likely be working in either tampa or orlando but want to settle around lakeland or some other nice polk county city.........any suggestions?
We currently live in Lakeland, but another nice, smaller version of Lakeland is Winter Haven - it has a beautiful little downtown with a nice park with fountain and a wonderful new library. Winter Haven also features the chain-of-lakes which are connected by navigable canals. Cypress Gardens is here. Winter Haven is also not too far from Lake Wales, an even smaller but very picturesque town. It all depends what you are looking for. Lakeland is more convenient to Tampa, Winter Haven is further east and a bit south, another little town just east of Lakeland is Auburndale - this is the smallest, but has a really cute downtown and is only about ten minutes drive east of Lakeland. This would be more convenient to Orlando.

From Lakeland my hubby commutes to downtown Tampa and doesn't think it's too bad of a drive.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:19 PM

30 posts, read 82,827 times
Thanks- I am going to include auburndale, winter haven and lake wales-will do some looking there!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:23 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Lake Wales is lovely but the commute to Tampa or Orlando is better from West Lakeland to Tampa or Auburdale/Winter Haven to Orlando. Search areas near I-4 and the Polk Parkway. There are some great developments near the Polk Parkway between Winter Haven and Lakeland too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay