Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil45 View Post
I'm not talking about class, education or financial means. I'm referring to an antipathy for people unlike themselves.
YES unfriendly place to anyone who isn't "Redneck"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about class, education or financial means. I'm referring to an antipathy for people unlike themselves.
That's not a redneck. A redneck is a farmer and they got that name because their neck gets sunburned from being out in the sun all day busting their rear ends so you can have food on the table.

Any other definition of redneck says more about the person saying it than it does about the person they are describing as a redneck.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
My reason for this thread is that I'm a single gay man looking into possibly relocating to St. Pete....I just want to know how open minded people are in St. Pete...generally speaking..
You want an area that is open minded for you, yet you are stereotyping and insulting a group of people. Do you realize that is hypocritical?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
"Do you realize that is hypocritical?"

Fat chance. Acceptance for me and not for thee is pretty much how it goes these days. With a glass of whine.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
People attracted to an area/city/region because they feel like they are similar to the people that already live there.

So, first you have to define St. Pete people. They seem like a kind of person probably interested in culture, beaches, a little bohemian, potentially into fishing or boating and such as well, etc.

If a person had ZERO of those same interests - hated water, beaches, boating, culture, anything bohemian, etc. Than, a St. Pete person might feel 'antipathy' towards that person, as they'd have nothing in common.

However, that doesn't equate to St. Pete being filled with 'rednecks'. Your definition of 'redneck' equals 'antipathy for people unlike them' is off.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
I realize I am pretty late to this thread, but I was born and raised in South Carolina...and my family has quite a few of what some would consider "redneck" and hell, you may even consider me one or at least from some of the qualities I have.

At any rate, I can say I have met VERY FEW who would qualify as a "redneck" to someone from the South (not Florida). The ones I have met are the good ole boys from Duette, Balm, Wimauma, and on towards that area...but even then, they have this "thing" about them that I sense sometimes- almost like a like of grit that some of the rednecks I knew from back home. Maybe it is simply the ones down here have money just don't show it.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Redneck=white trash

They are found everywhere in the country, it's just that they are called different things in different areas. In the south it's redneck. No one uses the term to describe farmers anymore.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
"Redneck=white trash"

Rednecks are rednecks. White trash is white trash. The two are not necessarily the same, just because you decided to re-define the term.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Redneck=white trash

They are found everywhere in the country, it's just that they are called different things in different areas. In the south it's redneck. No one uses the term to describe farmers anymore.
Where are you from?

In South Carolina, we call white trash...white trash. We call rednecks...rednecks. However, as with all things...you can be both.

Being "redneck" is not following some guideline written in an encyclopedia. Most of you, I would assume, would have no clue what a redneck is.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
I'm from NC. To me they are the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay