Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:42 AM

4 posts, read 19,043 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I reallly need your help. Ok, so we now find ourselves moving to Tampa. My wife is an RN, working here in Hilton Head, SC at a hospital that still does paper charting, and in a work enviorment that is unhealthy and still stuck in the last decade. I understand that the pay is ok there and the hospitals are much more up to date. So we will be relocating there in June/July timeframe and want to start planning now to purchase a home (first time homebuyers)in a safe area, at an affordable price (210,00-150,000), near good shopping and with a convient commute to work every day. I know...... have my cake and eat it right? lol Anyways, can anyone please reccomend the best places to work, and live as an RN in the Tampa areas???? THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
There are a lot of threads about nursing jobs in Tampa. Would recommend using search as there has been a lot of discussion. As an RN myself, I understand there are a lot of opportunities, not only in the inpatient setting, but home health, community health/public health, schools, travel nursing, etc. Depends on what she's interested in, her expertise/specialty, and experience. Wont get the same salary as in other parts of the USA, but you have remember that there isn't a state income tax.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 AM

158 posts, read 504,127 times
Well, your wife has quite a few choices here for work. Deals on home prices are all over the board right now so you could probably find something, at least in your higher range, in most places...

Mease Hospital and Morton Plant Hospital are located in Northern Pinellas County just north of Clearwater and I'm pretty sure both are state of the art. It's very safe there. Towns/neighborhoods to look at are Dunedin, Palm Harbor, East Lake, Oldsmar, Countryside(Clearwater), Safety Harbor and Tarpon Springs.

All Childrens' and St. Anthony's Hospitals are in downtown St. Pete. I'd look in the Northeast St. Pete neighborhoods there.

Tampa General is in downtown Tampa. There are great neighborhoods in South Tampa but in that price range you may be limited to a condo or maybe a townhome. Seminole Heights would be a cheaper alternative.

Town & Country Hospital. Westchase and Countryway are nice neighborhoods near there.

University Community/Shriners/Veterans Hospitals. All near the Univ. of South Florida. Good areas are New Tampa and Wesley Chapel.

There are plenty of areas to choose from. The question is will you be commuting to work as well because that could really narrow down your possibilities.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammie28 View Post
live as an RN in the Tampa areas???? THANKS

Depends on where she finds work (St Pete, Clearwater, Brandon, USF area). If she finds work at USF (ie VA, University) - New Tampa, Temple Terrace, Lutz, or Tampa Palms area would probably be best.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,701,083 times
St. Joseph's is really nice. I would aim for there. Brandon Regional is a mess-I would avoid it like the black plague.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 AM

Glad you posted that. Was considering Brandon. Heard it was it was a little "lighter" in workload. Nurses are concerned about that (nurse-to-patient ratio).

Check ou St Joseph's website for opportunities.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:37 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
St. Joseph's is really nice. I would aim for there. Brandon Regional is a mess-I would avoid it like the black plague.
I agree with this - St. Joseph's is nice.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
Brandon Regional has come a long way. I hated them with a passion because they were the absolute worst but they did a massive overhaul from what I hear and when I ended up in the ER early last year it was a huge difference. I was Triaged right away, had a bed in about ten minutes. Had nurses left and right and all were as friendly and kind as can be. I even saw two ER doctors within 30 minutes. And all this for what turned out to be a bleeding ulcer. Also, the hospital was extremely clean this time around unlike prior visits. I really do thing they have changed and I have to give them credit for this. Hopefully they will stay that way.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 AM

I have a friend who's parent's both are bigwigs at hospitals. They said that Brandon needs a overhaul but hasn't quite done it yet. They were going to make some changes. I heard only good about the Woman's part of the hospital. Either way, I would still avoid it like the black plague. They are dirty there. My friend has issues with her kidney's always producing kidney stones, so she's in the hospital a lot. I have taken her there on several occassions and sat with her. They have even done pelvic exams and left all the USED utensils on the table! The floors don't even seem clean.

St. Jo's though is great. The woman's hospital is wonderful! They are re-modeling. The nurses are caring and the hospital is clean.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 AM

Funny enough, I have spoken with quite a few nurses who work or worked at Brandon regional (I meet a lot of people in my profession). I haven't heard good things come from them and that's pretty bad. I would make the 30 min. trip to St. Jo's, totally worth it. That's what I did when I had my baby, I went to St. Jo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Glad you posted that. Was considering Brandon. Heard it was it was a little "lighter" in workload. Nurses are concerned about that (nurse-to-patient ratio).

Check ou St Joseph's website for opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay