Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 05:36 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I wish FL would start cracking down on uninsured drivers. Most states tow cars if the driver is pulled over and doesn't have car insurance.

Here you have to pay extra to have uninsured motorist coverage.

Giving someone a ticket who is uninsured doesn't do any good, they contiune to drive.
The Uninsured Vehicle Insurance that you are forced to buy is perhaps the cheapest and best insurance you can add to your insurance policy......it protects you from the ever growing amount of uninsured vehicles and drivers on the roads...as well as from the ones that buy a car/truck/motorcycle/etc...and then purchase the cheapest policy with the minimum liability coverage so that they can get their vehicle registered and on the road......remember...you can sue your insurance company when the other vehicle operator either has no insurance or minimum coverage...

What happens when they hit you...your child...or a family member...if they don't take off and run away...they simply hand over their minimum proof of insurance card or lack there of...when you attempt to recover damages and medical bills that exceed their policy limits...you then find out that they usually do not have a pot to **** in......that's when you will wish that you had more uninsured vehicle insurance than what you probably have now...but that's only my opinion......and I do not sell insurance...

Old 11-13-2009, 05:39 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Anyone of us that drives here without high uninsured motorist coverage is foolish.

I would bet that about 25% of the people on the road have no license or insurance. A lot of the ones that have insurance have the state minimum PIP which covers nothing.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:10 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You are mostly incorrect. If the car has no insurance, and the DHSMV has a "sieze tag" order on the computer, they will take the plates off the car and you will have to get it towed. Otherwise, it is ticket offense.
It is more usually seize the plates because the insurance carrier will
notify DHSMV about the lack of insurance. They can even go on private property to seize a tag that is on the computer hit list.
Not only what you mention, but it's my understanding that for those that let it lapse or drop it alltogether the next time they try to get insurance they may be denied and /or pay substantial increases to get reinstated.

Contrary to what certain misinformed posters write, very few states impound cars statewide. Some municipalities within certain states impound cars but either way they are in the minority.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
The Uninsured Vehicle Insurance that you are forced to buy is perhaps the cheapest and best insurance you can add to your insurance policy......it protects you from the ever growing amount of uninsured vehicles and drivers on the roads...as well as from the ones that buy a car/truck/motorcycle/etc...and then purchase the cheapest policy with the minimum liability coverage so that they can get their vehicle registered and on the road......remember...you can sue your insurance company when the other vehicle operator either has no insurance or minimum coverage...
No one is forced to buy UM, buy only fools don't have it.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You are mostly incorrect. If the car has no insurance, and the DHSMV has a "sieze tag" order on the computer, they will take the plates off the car and you will have to get it towed. Otherwise, it is ticket offense.
It is more usually seize the plates because the insurance carrier will
notify DHSMV about the lack of insurance. They can even go on private property to seize a tag that is on the computer hit list.
Not in FL. I've never heard of that happening.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:45 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
Not in FL. I've never heard of that happening.
I have. It does happen. There are significant penalties for having no auto insurance in Florida. If your insurance lapses for even one day, the insurance company is required to report it to the state and your license, tag and registration will be automatically suspended. And it is extremely expensive to get the state happy with you again. If you get busted driving with no insurance and a suspended license, tag, and registration and are very lucky they will give you a notice to appear in court, if you are less lucky they will arrest you on the spot.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:56 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I know what happens when the appear in court....basically nothing special.

Just go and sit and watch....I was there as a witness and had to wait for a long time and was shocked to see what was going on.

One Got arrested and knew and was prepared for that.

One Illegal alien 16 years old driving with no ins. and no license was told that he risked to be deported and asked if he knew about that possibility...thorugh his translator he admitted to know that, than with a small fee he was free to leave

A couple of people with DUI's (not their first) were asked if they need their car for work and after stating "yes" they got a fine and were free to walk out and drive again....

Basically it is a joke....

Old 11-13-2009, 07:14 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Jail time is not the answer for not having auto insurance. I carry it here cause i have no choice. A ticket is VERY expensive. Its not worth it. What is min liability in fl ?

Old 11-13-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I have. It does happen. There are significant penalties for having no auto insurance in Florida. If your insurance lapses for even one day, the insurance company is required to report it to the state and your license, tag and registration will be automatically suspended. And it is extremely expensive to get the state happy with you again. If you get busted driving with no insurance and a suspended license, tag, and registration and are very lucky they will give you a notice to appear in court, if you are less lucky they will arrest you on the spot.
I'm not sure how many of those you see. I see it every day. I have never seen anyone lose their tags. I have never seen any one arrested for no insurance. Once in a while someone is arrested for a suspended license, but bail is low.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Jail time is not the answer for not having auto insurance. I carry it here cause i have no choice. A ticket is VERY expensive. Its not worth it. What is min liability in fl ?
$10,000 personal injury protection. Basically nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay