Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:17 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
THE RISK SHOULD BE SOMEONE'S ACTUAL DRIVING RECORD, SINCE THIS IS CAR INSURANCE WERE TALKING ABOUT...........SO, for those who have a bad record, sure increase THEIR PREMIUMS, But don't increase mine along with theirs since my record is nice and clean.
Do you have high uninsured or do you just have the minumum PIP? My uninsured will be higher because if you don't have a high liability policy and you hit me, my company will have to pay all the bills. So in a way, people with low coverage contribute to everyone's high rates.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:29 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Cool No Such Thing!!

Quote:
THE RISK SHOULD BE SOMEONE'S ACTUAL DRIVING RECORD, SINCE THIS IS CAR INSURANCE WERE TALKING ABOUT...........SO, for those who have a bad record, sure increase THEIR PREMIUMS, But don't increase mine along with theirs since my record is nice and clean.
I and everyone on this board should agree with you that your insurance rates should be based on your driving record......but unfortunately that will never happen......the insurance companies base their rates on many things...one of which is your zip code...and since the majority of accidents/incidents occur within 25 miles of your home address...they always factor in accidents/injuries/deaths/miles driven/thefts/claims/weather/uninsured vehicles/etc......I am sure the list goes on...but basically we are paying for everyone who lives and works around us......as well as what risks the insurance companies think they are exposed tooooooo......of course they never under estimate and they will never offer a refund...

Old 11-14-2009, 07:34 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
"Your credit is important because it is an indicator of personal responsibility. Like it or not, that's the way it is. Paying your bills on time means you are more likely to be a responsible person. Just the way it is."

Look, back in Europe and the rest of the world "credit" is not attached to the above/house bills and anything other than actual credit cards....and people are paying their bills just fine! Credit started and is directly related to CREDIT CARDS...me paying the electric bill which is NOT a credit card should not be related to credit.....THIS IS NOT the way it should be, remember CREDIT and CREDIT CARDS didn't start until the 50's!!!!!!!!!!
History of credit cards
and took off later in the 70's and 80's..........people lived and build and paid their bills long before credit cards....this is NOT the way it is, this is the way some people figured they can get RICH! modern day slavery because it keep people in DEBT WHICH IS NOT OK. Being in DEBT means you're NOT FREE to do whatever you want..........

Old 11-14-2009, 07:42 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Quote:
"Your credit is important because it is an indicator of personal responsibility. Like it or not, that's the way it is. Paying your bills on time means you are more likely to be a responsible person. Just the way it is."

Look, back in Europe and the rest of the world "credit" is not attached to the above/house bills and anything other than actual credit cards....and people are paying their bills just fine! Credit started and is directly related to CREDIT CARDS...me paying the electric bill which is NOT a credit card should not be related to credit.....THIS IS NOT the way it should be, remember CREDIT and CREDIT CARDS didn't start until the 50's!!!!!!!!!!
History of credit cards
and took off later in the 70's and 80's..........people lived and build and paid their bills long before credit cards....this is NOT the way it is, this is the way some people figured they can get RICH! modern day slavery because it keep people in DEBT WHICH IS NOT OK. Being in DEBT means you're NOT FREE to do whatever you want..........
Credit is no only credit cards. Not paying your electric bill is an important indicator too. You used the service and promised to pay for it, and you didn't. That reflects poorly on your credit. Utility bills don't even show up on credit reports unless it's a total disaster. How would an insurance company know about an electric bill?

If you don't want credit cards, don't get one. No one is required to have one. In fact, debit cards can now accomplish the same thing and you can't go into debt with them.

The fact remains that all businesses that extend credit to you want to know if you are a good risk and pay your bills on time. Is there anything wrong with that?

Old 11-14-2009, 07:52 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Algia....this discussion could go on forever...no one likes insurance companies...but life as you know it will never go on without them...there are many things that I don't agree with on how they decide what your rate should be...credit...education level...your neighbors driving record or lack there of...how much you weigh...do you smoke...how many children you have...single...married...divorced...separated...e mployment...etc...but it will never end...and we will go on paying forever....but I would rather pay and keep my uninsured motorist level higher...than lose everything...because some idiot with no insurance hit me...the joke of it all...is the idiot without insurance still gets to sue you...

Old 11-14-2009, 12:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Do you have high uninsured or do you just have the minumum PIP? My uninsured will be higher because if you don't have a high liability policy and you hit me, my company will have to pay all the bills. So in a way, people with low coverage contribute to everyone's high rates.
You have to carry additional insurance in FL because of all the uninsured drivers. Even when you don't cause the accident all your medical bills go against your PIP.

Once your PIP is exhausted your insurance company is supposssed to go after the person who hit you. Good luck when they have no coverage.

And in FL all you get is a "citation" when they are pulled over at a trafffic stop, the car is not impounded like most states.

Eventually they DL gets suspended, so they drive with no insurance on a suspended license.

Why do you think car insurance is so expensive here? Because of all the uninsured drivers.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:29 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I dont think it is "expensive" here compared to any where else. I think its all the senior citizens on prozac and other anti depressants that cause the higher insurance. They are all driving stoned.

You don't HAVE TO carry additional insurance, but it is wise to do.

Its a desk appearance ticket when you get stopped for no proof of insurance.
If you don't appear there is a warrant out against you and you are subject to arrest.
If you show up in court with no proof of insurance for the date you got the ticket they suspened your license.

Impounding cars is an expensive liability filled method of doing things.
It costs money to tow, managed, insure while in their posession, paperwork takes hours.

Not too many places to that. NYC does it for parking violations.

Driving with out a license is an arrestable offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You have to carry additional insurance in FL because of all the uninsured drivers. Even when you don't cause the accident all your medical bills go against your PIP.

Once your PIP is exhausted your insurance company is supposssed to go after the person who hit you. Good luck when they have no coverage.

And in FL all you get is a "citation" when they are pulled over at a trafffic stop, the car is not impounded like most states.

Eventually they DL gets suspended, so they drive with no insurance on a suspended license.

Why do you think car insurance is so expensive here? Because of all the uninsured drivers.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:12 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
So you are driving with no insurance?
What a shameful accusation to make.
A society in which people have no empathy for those in different circumstances would be an intolerably harsh society indeed.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:59 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,036,028 times
Why should anyone empathize withe someone who chooses to break the law??..or not do the responsible thing??..i do, why would anyone else be above that responsibility?? get a second job if you "can't" afford coverage..don't expect me or other responsible people to pay for your car when you cause an accident..

As for rates, back in CA. the so called largest state in the union, people-wise, my rate was $50/mo..here, it's gonna be like 75-80 bucks a month..id think it should be the other way around..Yes, i can afford this but to cover some twit's b-hind..just plane lame..

Old 11-15-2009, 03:14 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
si33
1st off, as I mentioned before, NOT ALL UNINSURED DRIVERS CHOOSE TO BE UNINSURED, get that through your head......just like with health insurance, you do indeed sound like a Californian, people there really are out of touch with reality! seems as tho you're no exception.......sorry.

2nd. The rates are higher here because of two reasons:
1. The salaries SUCK and
2. Because there is no public transit available which gives insurance companies free hand to ask for a lot of money because people are forced to drive, they don't have other options......have you filled out an online quote and answered ALL those stupid questions?

To Lilybeans: No it is NOT OK for private companies to nose into your life up to your underwear.....that was common practice in communism.....IF YOU OWN AN CAR INSURANCE COMPANY THEN mind the driving NOT my house bills......this is one reason why people default....because they are sucked into this stupid credit circle at every corner and even if they don't own a credit card, then their utility deposit will be larger due to the "lack of credit".........so, doomed if you do, doomed of you don't! There is no blanket for people who loose their jobs...in the country where loosing your job is as common as brushing your teeth! and where it's not like you lost a job and poof there is one around the corner within 2 hours!

Private companies abuse this to no end to squeeze as much money out of you as possible I wish people would wake up and see that!

If you as a company are worried and want to protect yourself, then great, nobody says you shouldn't, if someone doesn't pay their bill for months and months because I am not talking about being an hour late with your payment, then get a collection agency to get you're money and cancel that policy and make it difficult and more expensive for THAT ONE PERSON to get insured again.......not the whole village.....you see my point?

The other day my OB told me that my hubby cannot record the birth of our 3rd on Video anymore because some idiot dropped the camera while in surgery?? I don't even know HOW that was possible............so, now the new rules for everyone is no cameras allowed!!!!!!!!!!! ONE IDIOT=The whole village has to suffer!!!!!!!!! this mentality has been perpetuated now for decades and it makes me sick because it is just THAT stupid to punish the whole town because ONE person can't get their s**t straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay