Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:04 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,244,948 times

Advertisements

Nothing is free. If a community doesn't have a CDD then it means the builder paid the costs. Now, do you think the builder is going to eat that cost? No - it's passed along in the price of the house. There are those who will bad wrap a CDD simply because they see it as another tax. However homeowners will find that their purchase price is lower than a comparable property built without a CDD. The difference being the cost for the infrastructure is deferred by way of annual payment.

BTW, you could pay off your CDD and not pay it annually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 09:58 AM

809 posts, read 747,791 times
A lot of great knowledge shared here.

I'd also suggest reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commun...pment_District

As a long time condo owner, from reading the above I wish as much as possible in my Association was covered by a CDD (especially the tax implications)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post

BTW, you could pay off your CDD and not pay it annually.
B&S, can you explain the above statement? Are you saying the Association can (in mass) vote to pay off the CDD lump sum, or are you saying owners can do it individually? If individually, is there a "pre-pay" discount (ya know, the time value of money thing)?

Old 11-23-2015, 10:23 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,811,713 times
No, it's more for individual to pay off his/part upfront. Basically multiply your CDD amount by number of year (30 for brand new home) and pay it as one time lump sum.

I would disagree on price difference between communities with/without CDD. Take a look at two new communities in Wesley Chapel - Arbor Woods and The Ridge. First one has no CDD, second one does. Check prices for compatible floor plans and you will see no difference. Yes, The Ridge has great planned amenities Arbor Woods will never have, but HOA at Ridge are 3 times what Arbor Woods is charging.

The problem with CDD as I see it - bond will be paid off, there is no question about that, but maintenance part of CDD fee will with community forever... So, even paying more for home upfront makes more sense. And community with CDD might be harder to sell in the future too... Some communities in Hillsborough County have $10K+ annual CDD + HOA!!!!

Old 11-23-2015, 10:41 AM

769 posts, read 830,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
The problem with CDD as I see it - bond will be paid off, there is no question about that, but maintenance part of CDD fee will with community forever... So, even paying more for home upfront makes more sense. And community with CDD might be harder to sell in the future too... Some communities in Hillsborough County have $10K+ annual CDD + HOA!!!!
I knew someone who lives in Westchase, they have a CDD AND a HOA. Their HOA was very low (like $150/yr), but their CDD was several thousand a year.

In their case, part of the CDD payed for what a normal deed restricted community, the HOA would pay for, like maintenance and landscaping in the "general areas"

My subdivision, I have a HOA, and it's only $300/yr, no CDD, and I'm going to have to pay it probably the entire time I own the house. Because there are expenses that HAVE to be payed. It's part of the cost of doing business, or owning a house.

It's not gone up substantially since I have lived there, just like the maintenance side of the CDD wont.

If you don't like the CDD thing, live in an older neighborgood which dont have one.

If you don't like CDD or HOA, go live in some ghetto in Suitcase City or Tampa Heights and see how nice that is

Old 11-23-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
A lot of great knowledge shared here.

B&S, can you explain the above statement? Are you saying the Association can (in mass) vote to pay off the CDD lump sum, or are you saying owners can do it individually? If individually, is there a "pre-pay" discount (ya know, the time value of money thing)?
It's individual (property owner) who pays off the CDD fee. This would only be for the bond assessment, you would continue to pay for the Operations and Maintenance assessments. You would contact your District Manager to get the payoff amount.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:49 PM

809 posts, read 747,791 times
Thanks for the reply B&S. Hopefully, a competent D.M. would discount a present payment based on the expected interest rate at the Bond creation.

Another question, are the Operation & Management assessments in Florida treated like property tax? That is, superior to any mortgage on the property?

Last edited by upgrader; 11-23-2015 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
No, it's more for individual to pay off his/part upfront. Basically multiply your CDD amount by number of year (30 for brand new home) and pay it as one time lump sum.

I would disagree on price difference between communities with/without CDD. Take a look at two new communities in Wesley Chapel - Arbor Woods and The Ridge. First one has no CDD, second one does. Check prices for compatible floor plans and you will see no difference. Yes, The Ridge has great planned amenities Arbor Woods will never have, but HOA at Ridge are 3 times what Arbor Woods is charging.

As I said originally, nothing comes for free. I have no idea what differences are between two communities. From my experience there can be plenty of differences in the home to make up the difference. Prices may be comparable due to builder needing to be price competitive, but no idea what that means in regards to quality, fit, finish and features of homes in both communities.

The options for covering infrastructure:
1. Builder and passed into the cost of home and higher HOA's (HOA fees are NOT tax deductible)
2. Builder gets bonds and rolls into CDD (CDD fee IS tax deductible)
3. City/Town/Village pays for infrastructure and residents of the city/town/village absorb the cost by paying overall higher taxes (not very common these days as existing residents have tired of paying the extra cost for new communities with newer and higher cost homes)

There is a cost to pay for infrastructure - roads, sewers, landscaping, streetlights, wetland mitigation, etc. This will either be paid for by builder and rolled into the cost of the home, those items then become the assets of the community/association. The taxes will then be higher than homes without a CDD and HOA's will also tend to be higher as CDD's. In my community the CDD pays for the build and maintenance of the pool, parks, trails, landscaping and entry facility. The HOA is really low as a result (only $40/month which includes the cost of internet), and largely is only responsible for enforcement of rules and approval of ACC.

One can kid themselves that one is better or worse, bottom line is there is a cost for the infrastructure, just depends on how the developer chose to structure their development deal.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:01 PM

Found this that may be of interest - What is a CDD. As noted in the details "To defray upfront expenses and offer homes at a lower cost, developers takeout bonds to fund these improvements.". It also mentions there are 600 Community Development Districts in Florida, 120 in the Tampa area - so these have become the norm. Other basic information that may be useful. Enjoy.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:40 PM

769 posts, read 830,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Found this that may be of interest - What is a CDD. As noted in the details "To defray upfront expenses and offer homes at a lower cost, developers takeout bonds to fund these improvements.".
I recognize the need for the CDD's to some degree. but I do have to call bull**** on this "offer homes at lower cost". Just not true, for new or used homes. It does not end up being that way. It's ONLY a way for developers to make more upfront money. Plain and simple

Old 11-23-2015, 07:51 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,606,138 times
Part of Westchase has paid off their bond and have no further CDD payment. Same with a few others (Cheval East). They all still have the deed restrictions and an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay