Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 09:20 AM

544 posts, read 1,472,178 times

Advertisements

I just want general opinions about what you think it needs. Do you think Downtown Tampa is a good looking downtown? I think it lacks a lot but some parts of it if say a picture was taken of it, looks pretty neat where the shinier buildings are but when you walk it, it feels pretty empty.
I was in the park right across from the police station and thats a nice park I find but overall, Downtown Tampa seems pretty dead. Ybor = most happening part of Tampa and St Pete imo beats Tampa on the whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,751,109 times
I think Downtown Tampa has the best looking skyline in the state. I love the way its tall and compact and its location near the river and bay. Miami is to spread out, Orlando and Jacksonville are to small. But Tampa's is just right. But Downtown needs some after hours bars and clubs. You Cant complain to much. Tampa has just as much bars and clubs as any city, But insted of being in Downtown, their in Ybor and channelside. St Petes downtown might beat Tampa's as far as the restaurants, clubs, and bars, but as a whole, no way, Tampa has way more.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:26 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
Tampa's downtown does not have the residents(yet) to support lots of life after 6pm...its is a Business/Financial District first(think about the World Trade Center and Financial district in Manhatten - not as much happening there outside of 9-5 compared to other parts of the City), but that is changing big time with the new residents in Skypoint, Element, Franklin Street Lofts, Art Center Lofts, etc...you need people to actually LIVE in the downtown core in order for there to be life besides the usual 60,000 that work there during the week.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:13 AM

43 posts, read 191,090 times
It needs a mall. Malls bring people. There is an outdoor mall in downtown San Diego, which I think would be cool if Tampa had the same thing.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:25 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTampaSurfer View Post
It needs a mall. Malls bring people. There is an outdoor mall in downtown San Diego, which I think would be cool if Tampa had the same thing.
Isnt Channelside an Outdoor type of mall/venue? The Franklin Street corridor used to be the Hub of activity through the 1900's until the car came around in the 60's and people rushed to the suburbs, slowly you see more and more openeing up along Franklin Street(Fly Bar, Club 1201, The Hubb, Thai Corner, Tampa THeater, Indigo Coffee, Paninoteca Mediterranean, Boss Hogs, Westshore Pizza, Pita Place, Hattricks, CVS....)

Old 04-13-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTampaSurfer View Post
We will see a lot more shopping in downtown now that the central park village redevelopment is finally underway.
New development planned for old public housing project - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009/4/12/459583.html?title=New%20development%20planned%20fo r%20old%20public%20housing%20project&cid=rss - broken link)

Old 04-13-2009, 07:04 PM

544 posts, read 1,472,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I think Downtown Tampa has the best looking skyline in the state. I love the way its tall and compact and its location near the river and bay. Miami is to spread out, Orlando and Jacksonville are to small. But Tampa's is just right. But Downtown needs some after hours bars and clubs. You Cant complain to much. Tampa has just as much bars and clubs as any city, But insted of being in Downtown, their in Ybor and channelside. St Petes downtown might beat Tampa's as far as the restaurants, clubs, and bars, but as a whole, no way, Tampa has way more.
I can agree. In a sense when you are walking in or near Downtown Tampa, it feels a little like it could be in the east coast somewhere or the buildings are just as nice looking as Seattle. I bet Tampa beats places like Colombus OH for sure.
As far as the Tampa/St pete comparison. I think both cities are good in their own ways. Just different crowds. Like I find Ybor/Tampa has the trendier people or more mainstream rock people, but also variety too.
More rap clubs which so isnt my thing and a hipster shop or 2 or 3 in which their overpriced. Concertwise, Id say both cities are equal and as far as bars and coffee houses go, St Petes coffee houses are better on the whole. Like Indigo is extremely cookie cutter and a place like that doesnt exist in St Pete really. The bunker is like a cookie cutter/bohemian mix. King Corona is real nice. Foodwise, both cities are near =.
Homelessness Id say is more in St Pete. The bars are better in Tampa overall except for a few in St Pete that are better than most in Tampa but overall, I give Ybor the edge for bars.
Gay scene Id say is more in Ybor but still pretty plentiful in St Pete too. Both I think can draw similar crowds but Ybor can get snobbier.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
I can agree. In a sense when you are walking in or near Downtown Tampa, it feels a little like it could be in the east coast somewhere or the buildings are just as nice looking as Seattle. I bet Tampa beats places like Colombus OH for sure.
As far as the Tampa/St pete comparison. I think both cities are good in their own ways. Just different crowds. Like I find Ybor/Tampa has the trendier people or more mainstream rock people, but also variety too.
More rap clubs which so isnt my thing and a hipster shop or 2 or 3 in which their overpriced. Concertwise, Id say both cities are equal and as far as bars and coffee houses go, St Petes coffee houses are better on the whole. Like Indigo is extremely cookie cutter and a place like that doesnt exist in St Pete really. The bunker is like a cookie cutter/bohemian mix. King Corona is real nice. Foodwise, both cities are near =.
Homelessness Id say is more in St Pete. The bars are better in Tampa overall except for a few in St Pete that are better than most in Tampa but overall, I give Ybor the edge for bars.
Gay scene Id say is more in Ybor but still pretty plentiful in St Pete too. Both I think can draw similar crowds but Ybor can get snobbier.
Its all preference. If I were looking into which city to live in, I think St. Pete has the beach going for it, And Tampa has the more cosmopolitan feel. I like both. And both have their fair share of great bars, clubs and restarunts. But to stay on topic Downtown Tampa needs some of those hang out spots that the rest of the city has. The riverwalk needs to not just be completed but be lined with eating establishments and clubs. And water taxis to take people up and down the river from one club to the next. How cool would that be?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 AM

127 posts, read 427,531 times
If you are talking purely aesthetics, it really depends on which vantage point you are actually viewing downtown. I think downtown looks beautiful when driving over the Davis Island Bridge. But from certain areas of Channelside or from areas north such as Tampa Heights, maybe not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay