Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 PM

18 posts, read 59,414 times

Advertisements

Just got a great job near Clearwater airport/Ulmerton Road area. I need some expert advice...

I've done some driving around Pinellas/Hillborough area and even done a few commutes during rush hour to get a feel of where I should look for an apartment. It helped some, but still only have a general understanding and I want to make a good decision. I was not crazy about St. Petersburg. It had charm and the commute seemed shorter than to N.W. Tampa (taking I-275), but downtown St. Pete seemed in need of an update. In N.W. Tampa, I looked at Grande Oasis Apartment (about 4 miles down Dale Mabry Rd). The area seemed to have good shopping, but I'm not sure about other things (e.g., crime, singles) and there's no immediate apartment availablity.

As for being close to the beach, I'd prefer a centralized location instead. I have someone moving with me who will probably be working near downtown Tampa.

-Centralized location
-A commute of 45 minutes or less to Ulmerton Road (and Tampa)
-Area that is good for 30-something singles
-Area lower in crime and with newer shopping centers (near a Wal-Mart would be nice)
-Newer apartment, 2-bedroom, low-noise, pet-friendly aprtament complex (under $1000)

-Also, any recommendations for a weekly rental until I get an apartment?

Thanks so much for helping out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 02:13 PM

384 posts, read 2,221,180 times
Did you look round Gandy? There used to be some nice apts called Pelican Sound. Don't know if they are still nice. That would be a decent commute to the airport area/ Roosevelt.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:57 PM

Default Will look into

This is one area that I did not visit. From looking at the map, it is hard to tell whether the Gandy Bridge would be faster than I-275 in rush hour. Coud I get to the Clearwater/St. Pete airport in about 30-45 minutes? Also, what is the vibe of South Tampa compared to North West Tampa (near the football stadium)? Thanks.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:03 PM

384 posts, read 2,221,180 times
I am not sure if Gandy is better than 275 during rush hour. Hopefully someone else will reply and give you some info on that! The reason that I liked living there was because you had quick access to Tampa (Dale Mabry and Westshore area) as well as being on the St Pete side to get to stuff in St Pete easily too. My husband worked at Tech Data in Clearwater on Ulmerton and he got there in that time frame, even with traffic. I also am not sure on your last question about the vibe in South Tampa compared to the other side...sorry! Good Luck!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 12,467 times
Default Rush Hour

I moved into a house off Missouri and E. Bay about 4 years ago and I work off of Ulmerton. Its only about a 10 minute drive to and is not too bad for crime. If I had to pick a new location it would be off West Bay or 131 (clearwater, Seminole area) Its a little nicer of an area and still VERY close to Ulmerton. Walmart's are everywhere.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:46 PM

opps sorry 113 not 131

Old 06-24-2009, 07:13 PM

Overall, it sounds like there are at least two areas where I can find a great or decent commute and have the convenience of shopping. I will certainly check out these two areas on my next visit, which will be this weekend. Any apartment recommendations 2 br/2 bath under $1000? Also, are there any other areas worth looking into for a single guy? And, is N.W. Tampa (past Fletcher) a bad option for a commute, etc? Thanks.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:21 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Don't know if this would work for you but Cove Cay Condos are right on US19 just north of East Bay. They usually have some rentals in there around $900 or so.

There are many older people in it but some younger also. You won't have much going in the complex but right outside there is a bunch to do.

It is a gated golf course community right on the bay, very safe. Being on the bay it would be quick and easy to the causeway to get to Tampa and about 5-10 minutes to Ulmerton.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 PM

I used to live in New Tampa before moving over here. The commute without rush hour was about 45 minutes. On my way to work and on my way home from work took about an hour and 30 minutes. Although New Tampa is a REALLY nice place and away from crime/city stuff...it is way too far of a drive. You need to keep in mind that there are only 2 main bridges from tampa to clearwater/Ulmerton....in rush hour you could sit on those bridges for HOURS!!! I have a stepson that I have to drive to tampa every other friday and we sit on the howard franklin for 2 hours each trip if we do not time it right.....you should take that into consideration if you are going to find a place on the other side of the bridge!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:11 PM

Hunnybe15, I take it from your post that poor timing or unexpected events would leave me parked on the Gandy Bridge for 2 hours as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay