Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

Advertisements

The thing is when NEED this stuff and its not on the shelves in Wal Mart, you are without. When you have it in advance, hey, it won't go bad. The hardware will be there every year for you. Now, go back to walmart and get a rubbermaid tote for all your stuff. Keep tossing stuff in as you see it at a flea market or at a sale. Got a few LED lights? They are great. Those little propane lamps are good too, but not indoors. If you have a 12 deep cycle marine battery that is very good to run a 12vdc car fan. You see them in Walmart. They clip on the dash. Great when you're trying to sleep with no power. They blow a breeze on ya. You can recharge your battery (marine deep cycle) on your vehicle. Also, think LOW VOLTAGE with the marine battery. You can string up 12vdc lights and have lots of light even with no generator.

Its nice to be comfortable in rough times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
that's exactly what I did yesterday - picked up a few things from the Walmart camping area (10 gal water jugs, Australian shower, several gallons of drinking h20, flashlight, propane tanks, batteries, etc) - hopefully won't need the stuff, but will put them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 04:08 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
thanks - forgot to add, tote purchased and already started to fill it up.....will be disappointed if I don't ever get to use the stuff (kidding, of course).

Old 07-02-2010, 09:48 PM

51 posts, read 360,871 times
Default Fraudulent to sell safety film as 'hurricane film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
SpringHillian - sounds like you're very well prepared. This past weekend, went out and purchased a few supplies to get started on a kit. Probably will stay home and not evacuated from Tampa if there's a direct hit. I haven't added shutters, but may put some glass film soon. Probably should reinforce the garage door as well. My front door is all glass - curious why the builder had to design it like that in hurricane country. That'll need to be replaced, too.
It’s fraudulent and unlawful to sell or misrepresent safety film as 'hurricane film' in Florida. Applied films don't have any approval for this type of use in Florida. There aren’t any films that have passed the Florida Building Code or Miami-Dade product approval requirements. Applied films do not stand up to the testing protocols and lack technical proof to be added into the category of hurricane protection. There are some suspect film companies that promote and advertise these products to unsuspecting consumers. They are often disreputable con man posing as hurricane protectives companies. Go to www.truthaboutwindowfilm.info to review facts.

International Window Film Association
Clarification Letter

“The window film industry is extremely concerned about erroneous or misleading information about the benefits of its products as related to occupant protection during hurricane or other high wind events."

Florida Building Code

"Window Film is not considered to be hurricane protection, either by insurance companies or building codes."

Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board
Memo To: Interested Parties

"The Pinellas County Licensing Board has found that Window Film does not qualify under the Florida Building Code as approved hurricane protection for commercial and/or residential structures."

Applied window film is not recognized by industry experts as part of the legitimate arsenal of tools and approved products for hurricane protection. That’s not to say there aren’t reputable film company’s – there are some good film company’s that promote legitimate benefits of applied film in safety and solar properties. Applied film is a very good alternative solution to these types of safety and solar applications. The honest company’s promote film without being dishonest or deceptive. A few company’s mentioned in this thread are known perpetrators of these high pressure deceptive sales tactics – well knowing that film does not hold up in testing, does not offer insurance discounts and worse offers no protection in these severe weather events.

I know I'll get a lot of replies from film companies on this - we usually do as a researchers. But, argue as they may - the fact remains that applied film does not measure up in testing or in the engineering - to the complete performance standards and requirement as a hurricane protectives product. ALL products used in the construction of a home in FL must pass these same testing standards. The promotional videos you see on-line look dramatic, but don’t pass the muster in real life applications, after the glass is impacted by object(s) and is subjected to cyclonic pressures (negative and positive loads) over a long period of time associated to these weather events. The glass 'tears' the film away and the envelope of the home becomes exposed to the damaging effects of the winds.

Last edited by preparedness expert; 07-02-2010 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-03-2010, 08:56 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
People have no clue what to do as Tampa never faces a hurricane.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:02 AM

That's the point of being prepared. The information is available, people just need to follow the advice on being prepared. There is nothing you can do when (if) it arrives. People DO have a clue on what to do, they just need to put it in the foreground of their minds and take care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
People have no clue what to do as Tampa never faces a hurricane.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That's the point of being prepared. The information is available, people just need to follow the advice on being prepared. There is nothing you can do when (if) it arrives. People DO have a clue on what to do, they just need to put it in the foreground of their minds and take care of it.
I'm going down with the ship even if i am faced with a CAT 5. I would not leave my house.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:57 AM

I wouldnt leave my home either, however, we are well prepared to face the repercussions of doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I'm going down with the ship even if i am faced with a CAT 5. I would not leave my house.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I wouldnt leave my home either, however, we are well prepared to face the repercussions of doing so.
I'm sure you are in a more safe place than i am. I am dead on the gulf and our number is coming up soon for a cat4+ to hit just north of Tampabay.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:56 AM

39 posts, read 74,077 times
I've probably been in the state longer than most and I've probably prepared more than most. After the three storm year, I sold my home a block off the water and moved to high ground. One of the most annoying things about evacuation is they can keep you out as long as they want. And living without electricity in the middle of summer is brutal. Been there, done that. I have hurricane shutters pre-cut and ready to go up on a moments notice. I wait until the last moment because I have a lot a prep to do (I work in the marine field so I have a lot of prep to do for work) and un-prepping for a near miss is a PITA. I have a designated safe room, plus a backup plan. Food, water, medical, sanitary supplies on hand, candles, propane cooking facilities, ice chest, mosquito repellent, check. Crates to carry animals ready if forced to evacuate, check. Stored fuel for diesel auto. Prepped secondary location to go to if this one becomes un-livable.

Anyone who takes hurricanes lightly is foolish, and I don't mean that to be insulting, but it's a fact. You don't want to depend on anyone to provide for you in an emergency.

In the event of a disruption of essential services, you must be prepared for civil disturbances. If you are fortunate (or unfortunate enough, depending on how you look at life) to live in an upscale, access limited area with enough people that matter that you have actual police protection, your needs are probably met. If you live anywhere else, you'd better put some thought into deterrence. I'm a firm believer in keeping trouble out rather than dealing with it when it's in. Good fences locks and dogs are a great start. As much as I'm not comfortable with guns, you'd better be prepared. 12 gauge shot gun is an excellent start, probably the first gun for home protection one should have. I personally prefer a collapsible stock rather than no stock. The sound of a shell being pumped into the chamber is usually enough to deter anyone operating with a full deck. The loaded gun is excellent for dealing with the rest. Get some training and get comfortable with the weapon. A handgun is the next thing. Lugging around a shotgun is not always the best thing to do. If you're going from your house to the car to get ice and water, you will draw unwanted attention carrying a long rifle. That's where a handgun comes in handy. It's great to concealment, and it's just right for protecting you until you can get back to your long gun.

Enough of my gun thoughts. Now for the real fly in the ointment. As much as I've prepared to take care of myself and my loved ones if the big one comes rumbling into the Tampa area, I'm not sure I'll stay this time. There is a highly toxic soup of oil and chemicals in the gulf right now. If a storm drives that stuff ashore I don't want to be anywhere around. The dispersant BP has criminally dumped all over the gulf is a highly toxic poison. There are many harmful chemicals spewing from the broken well. So if the big one hist this year I'm packing what I can and heading north, traffic jambs be darned. I don't trust the government or any corporations to warn me of the dangers associated with what's going on in the gulf. I'm gone and the looters can pick over what's left, material goods aren't worth the health risk.

Now, does that make you feel better?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey7beard View Post
I've probably been in the state longer than most and I've probably prepared more than most. After the three storm year, I sold my home a block off the water and moved to high ground. One of the most annoying things about evacuation is they can keep you out as long as they want. And living without electricity in the middle of summer is brutal. Been there, done that. I have hurricane shutters pre-cut and ready to go up on a moments notice. I wait until the last moment because I have a lot a prep to do (I work in the marine field so I have a lot of prep to do for work) and un-prepping for a near miss is a PITA. I have a designated safe room, plus a backup plan. Food, water, medical, sanitary supplies on hand, candles, propane cooking facilities, ice chest, mosquito repellent, check. Crates to carry animals ready if forced to evacuate, check. Stored fuel for diesel auto. Prepped secondary location to go to if this one becomes un-livable.

Anyone who takes hurricanes lightly is foolish, and I don't mean that to be insulting, but it's a fact. You don't want to depend on anyone to provide for you in an emergency.

In the event of a disruption of essential services, you must be prepared for civil disturbances. If you are fortunate (or unfortunate enough, depending on how you look at life) to live in an upscale, access limited area with enough people that matter that you have actual police protection, your needs are probably met. If you live anywhere else, you'd better put some thought into deterrence. I'm a firm believer in keeping trouble out rather than dealing with it when it's in. Good fences locks and dogs are a great start. As much as I'm not comfortable with guns, you'd better be prepared. 12 gauge shot gun is an excellent start, probably the first gun for home protection one should have. I personally prefer a collapsible stock rather than no stock. The sound of a shell being pumped into the chamber is usually enough to deter anyone operating with a full deck. The loaded gun is excellent for dealing with the rest. Get some training and get comfortable with the weapon. A handgun is the next thing. Lugging around a shotgun is not always the best thing to do. If you're going from your house to the car to get ice and water, you will draw unwanted attention carrying a long rifle. That's where a handgun comes in handy. It's great to concealment, and it's just right for protecting you until you can get back to your long gun.

Enough of my gun thoughts. Now for the real fly in the ointment. As much as I've prepared to take care of myself and my loved ones if the big one comes rumbling into the Tampa area, I'm not sure I'll stay this time. There is a highly toxic soup of oil and chemicals in the gulf right now. If a storm drives that stuff ashore I don't want to be anywhere around. The dispersant BP has criminally dumped all over the gulf is a highly toxic poison. There are many harmful chemicals spewing from the broken well. So if the big one hist this year I'm packing what I can and heading north, traffic jambs be darned. I don't trust the government or any corporations to warn me of the dangers associated with what's going on in the gulf. I'm gone and the looters can pick over what's left, material goods aren't worth the health risk.

Now, does that make you feel better?
I born in Tampa in 63 and have yet to face a hurricane, be got a brush Sept of 85 while that storm sat in the middle grounds for 2 days, then we had the two state crossing storms back to back in 04 that gave Tampa some wind and rain. So in 47 years we have had some wind 3 times.

As for going down with the ship i have twin v6 gen sets i removed from my offshore boat when i sold it and have 90 guns and over a ton of ammo.

I will not leave my house for any reason even if it's a CAT5. If i die then i die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay