Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 AM

111 posts, read 223,624 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My DH is exploring an opportunity in Largo.

I'm doing my preliminary research regarding housing, schools, etc.

If someone works in Largo, what would be the outer towns that you could live in within a 30 minute commute? Largo only? Clearwater and/or Seminole? Further - like Dunedin or Palm Harbor?

What areas would you explore if schools and commute were your most important priorities? Housing in the $250,000-$350,000 range.

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,980 times
Hi,
We just recently moved to Largo from Michigan. We've only been here about three months, but so far we really like the area. My husband drives to St. Pete for work and it takes him 35 minutes with good traffic, up to an hour and a half on a Friday afternoon when everyone else is driving home too.

I think, and someone can go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm new here, that traffic is better if you go north rather than south, so Dunedin might be an option. Clearwater would definitely be doable. It's about 15 minutes from where we live.

Honestly, traffic here, and especially in Tampa, is not great. It isn't necessarily all that heavy all the time (except right in and around Tampa), but the number of people who don't pay any attention to where they are going is absolutely amazing. There are lots of accidents, so you have to take that into consideration when thinking about travel time.

My kids are in Pinellas county schools and so far they are not making me happy. We moved at the wrong time and missed the cutoff for magnet schools, which is what I would do if I had the time to do research beforehand (we had three weeks to pack and move). The administration is very uncooperative and so far I'm not happy with most of the teachers, either. I do hear wonderful things from parents whose children are involved in the magnet schools. That's the route we will be going as soon as we can.

Last edited by Maggi07; 03-02-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Thank you, that is very helpful...

I have three elementary aged kids - so schools are important.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM

Anyone else? Working in Largo - what kind of commute can I expect to Dunedin or Palm Harbor?

Or is Seminole our best bet?

I like the idea of Seminole schools - but I'd also love to get a newer home, and the homes in Seminole (in our price range) seem to be older.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 PM

23 posts, read 58,562 times
seminole to the south or palm harbour to the north have the best schools. look at the schools on www.publicschoolreview.com . seminole borders largo to the south. clearwater to the north. BUT largo is a big place. where is he gonna work, what section of largo? i live in seminole now and have lived in seminole or largo for over 30 years.

they just completed a lot of road work on US 19 that allows easy north/ south commutes with no lights all the way up to countryside mall from ulmerton road.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:44 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,305 times
If you work in largo and school is important and housing, then look at Seminole. Its a no brainer IMO
Or you could live Palm Harbor and commute, frankly commuting is not terrible in the county unless you go really far north to south and largo is pretty central. If you are driving nothing is terrible but Largo is a one minute to ten minute drive mostly.
elem schools are great and overall the sem schools are good. safe environment by beaches, lovely family kind of neighborhoods. prices right now are good to buy also.
but thats pretty well the same all over anyway.

you can always try for magnets next round, but elems are good if you can get into seminole so worry more for middle and high.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Thanks so much for your replies! It looks like Seminole it is! I can't wait to come down and drive around and check it out!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay