Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 09:16 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times

Advertisements

I've lived here my whole life and I love the heat. I guess it's a little different because I've never known anything else, but I'm okay with that. I don't use the air conditioning in the car; I drive with the windows down. I also walk the mile or so to work five or six days a week and I love it. This may not sound all that unusual, but keep in mind that I don't wear the typical "Florida wear," either. I wear long pants and shoes twelve months out of the year. And I don't think twice about wearing flannel in July.

I know that my preferences are unusual and not everyone can stand the heat, but it's frustrating when someone willingly moves here and then complains about how hot it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Frustrating? It's insane.

It seems that some people were kidnapped, tossed into a truck and let out in Florida. They've been here since, waiting for the same truck to take them home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I've lived here my whole life and I love the heat. I guess it's a little different because I've never known anything else, but I'm okay with that. I don't use the air conditioning in the car; I drive with the windows down. I also walk the mile or so to work five or six days a week and I love it. This may not sound all that unusual, but keep in mind that I don't wear the typical "Florida wear," either. I wear long pants and shoes twelve months out of the year. And I don't think twice about wearing flannel in July.

I know that my preferences are unusual and not everyone can stand the heat, but it's frustrating when someone willingly moves here and then complains about how hot it gets.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
What are you talking about no rain for weeks? In Tampa? When it is crazy hot like that in the summer it rains every afternoon, you can practically set your watch by it!
Not true when i lived in Danashores by the Tampa Airport. About 8 out of ten times T-storms would always go around us. Now i live on the gulf in west Pasco and it's even worse. For the last 20 years we have been stuck in a west wind flow the reverse of our so called southeast wind flow that brings late afternoon T- storms from the southeast. Maybe 4 to 8 days a summer we have our so called normal southeast windflow.

Now you people in Brandon and a line north to south of Brandon always get more rain than i do on the gulf. With a west flow the T storms die off just before they reach the beach, then build about 15 miles inland and then move east away from where i live. So people in east Tampa have a much better chance of getting rain with a west windflow and even a southeast windflow.

I'm not saying i never get rain on the gulf coast in the summer, anytime we have a kink in the upper levels that gives lift then i have a very good chance of getting rain with a west wind flow. I have kept weather records for over 30 years and have proof of my rainfall amounts when i lived in Danashores and on the gulfcoast.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:52 PM

17 posts, read 35,651 times
You know...The weather here is like a roller coaster all the time. It's hot then it's cold. In June or July you can typically expect almost anything. It could be rainy and near chilly one day and the next just blistering hot with high humidity(80-90%) or even breezy and 70 ish. just 2 weeks ago I was riding my motorcycle home @ lunchtime. Go back 4 weeks however and it was hard frozen. 1 week prior,60 deg. f...The problem with that is that you can never get used to the weather. So it always seems unbareable. When you are in a warmer climate that is more stable(even if it's hotter) you will get acclimated to this. Almost anyone can stand the heat or the cold...It's just what you are used to. 2-3 weeks of the summer and you won't even notice it......much......

Old 03-16-2010, 11:22 PM

47 posts, read 70,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Brilliant, people that enjoy the weather that Florida has had for hundreds of years annoy someone who complains about how hot it is in Florida. Just brilliant.

You laughed out loud? Can you find me even a 2 hour stretch in your area or the other posters area where those criteria are all going on at the same time? No you can't because as usual the complainers exaggerate the weather conditions.
You misunderstand me, I'm agreeing with you. The weather does change that much in a 2 hour span here.

Also, to me, it feels like it's been getting hotter recently. But I was kidding about being annoyed. I'm sure I annoy people who are freezing during our "winters" when they see me in shorts and a t-shirt still wishing for it to be 10 degrees cooler.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:24 PM

47 posts, read 70,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The weather? And the bugs, and the residents, and the crime, the
roads, the housing, you name it, they complain about it.

Makes me wonder what drove them insane enough to come here in the first place, but no body every answers that question.
Probably because it's just as bad elsewhere, and when they move here, they realize that every place has something wrong with it.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:34 AM

451 posts, read 933,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphix View Post
Probably because it's just as bad elsewhere, and when they move here, they realize that every place has something wrong with it.
Yeah man, must be some kind of weird coincidence how Florida has so much domestic immigration and travel. Hopefully someone will get the word out...

I was hoping to leave the whiny "you're all wrong!" haters behind in the north, but you have exemplified your own point. Any chance you can share another super cool story about how you can wear, like, less clothing than people normally do when its cold out? That'd be awesome!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Thats a reasonable explanation. They had to be unhappy where they were to come here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphix View Post

Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2
Not true when i lived in Danashores by the Tampa Airport. About 8 out of ten times T-storms would always go around us.
I recently moved to south Tampa from the Tampa airport area where I lived and worked for almost 10 years, it poured there reliably in the summer, every afternoon. Like everywhere else I've lived in coastal Florida.

Last edited by tilli; 03-17-2010 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: attributed quote

Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babor72
Almost anyone can stand the heat or the cold...It's just what you are used to. 2-3 weeks of the summer and you won't even notice it......much......
Have you actually tested this hypothesis of yours? The transplants I have known who came from temperate climates took years to adjust at a minimum and others haven't managed to truly acclimate after decades. I was a young child when we moved to Florida, can barely even remember anywhere else, and it honestly took about 15 years for me to begin to tolerate the constant heat and humidity without feeling like I was going to just drop dead at any second. I still don't enjoy it as some do, but I am sometimes able to play a trick of the mind where I pretend like it's a sauna and that I WANT to be sweating out all my fluids with no evaporative return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay