Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 10:10 AM

214 posts, read 678,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphix View Post
Very true, however you know cold is going to kill you. When would you expect 95 degrees to kill you?
Living in a "temperate" climate, we have deaths every year from cold in the winter and heat in the summer and it rarely gets above 95 here. The heat deaths are usually among elderly and /or those with underlying cardiac issues. The cold deaths are usually from exposure among the homeless and elderly who do not turn on the heat in their homes for unknown reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:17 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,014 times
So far 20 months here in Florida, the worst part is everyone at work puts the heat on when it's 60 degrees outside! I sweat when it's cold. So far hate the "hot" months here even more. Swin to tolerate, that's more fun anyway.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:28 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
So far 20 months here in Florida, the worst part is everyone at work puts the heat on when it's 60 degrees outside! I sweat when it's cold. So far hate the "hot" months here even more. Swin to tolerate, that's more fun anyway.
Might I ask what possessed you to move to a warm weather climate if you sweat when it is cold?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:32 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
That was funny!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:38 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Might I ask what possessed you to move to a warm weather climate if you sweat when it is cold?
I took it to mean that the poster sweats when that 60 degrees is cold to everyone else.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:39 AM

15 posts, read 48,785 times
Just for grins, can any of you compare the humid summers to Dallas TX and the thunderstorms to Phoenix AZs monsoons?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
I took it to mean that the poster sweats when that 60 degrees is cold to everyone else.
With her additional comment that she hates the hot months even more I took it that she does not like warm weather.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:52 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If someone thinks 79 is hot then I would say Florida is not where they should be living.
Ya think? Few more years and you and the other 18.5 million (!) residents can have Florida all to yourselves.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:07 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
If the summer heat was so bad then no one would be able to live here (79 replies at this post?). This is just a smidgen ridiculous.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM

47 posts, read 70,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
I doubt anyone would disagree about the dangers of driving in heavy summer rains in Florida. I strongly disagree with your assumption that it is as dangerous as winter driving in the north. It's laughably ignorant. It's apparent you prefer the cold-- that's fine. But you're doing a disservice to the state of Florida and Tampa in general to suggest to potential Floridians that our safety will be worse in Florida.
I disagree. I also disagree that it's laughably ignorant. Perhaps I'll give you something that's less laughable to the ignorant.

The coefficient of friction between rubber tires and snow ranges from .3-.6. Wet roads can have a coefficient of friction from .4 down to .1. The lower values equate to decreased traction.

So, visibility can be more reduced than in a snowstorm—which we've only decided empirically, unfortunately—and the road surface is more slippery. So, how exactly can it be less dangerous to drive in a thunderstorm than to drive in a snowstorm?

We're not talking iced over roads or abnormal conditions like hurricanes. We're talking a thunderstorm and a snowstorm.

Last edited by graphix; 03-09-2010 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay