Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 06:09 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomango View Post
I work for CCSD in las vegas (2nd year- still on probationary period) and was arrested last year for calling the police on an ex that was punching my face (I had a black eye and busted lip.) She told the police she did it because I choked her. So they took us both in. My charges were dropped and I know I have to report it when I renew my license, but will my principal find out???
This is probably something you ought to tell your principal about now so that you can explain it, instead of him reading it. If the situation is as you describe, and/or your principal isn't looking for an excuse to drop you, this should be a non-issue.

Why didn't you tell them last year when it happened? If you do tell him you will probably need to be prepared to answer that question.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This is probably something you ought to tell your principal about now so that you can explain it, instead of him reading it. If the situation is as you describe, and/or your principal isn't looking for an excuse to drop you, this should be a non-issue.

Why didn't you tell them last year when it happened? If you do tell him you will probably need to be prepared to answer that question.

I didn't tell her last year because the charges were dropped and I just wanted to fly under the radar since I was a first year teacher. So you think she'll notified about that? Or is that more of a thing that HR handles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 05:24 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomango View Post
I didn't tell her last year because the charges were dropped and I just wanted to fly under the radar since I was a first year teacher. So you think she'll notified about that? Or is that more of a thing that HR handles?
It really depends on your state and district. You need to find an expert in HR within your state. Call the HR department of a large school district and pretend you are thinking about applying with them and want to know how you would be expected to address the issue. Chances are it will be similar to your district. Don't give them your real name.

Try to not freak out LV is one of the school districts that struggle to put warm bodies in the classroom.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:58 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Oldhag1 has given you some good advice. Not every state or every school district is going to handle this the same way. You also might want to consult an attorney.

Believe it or not, what subject you teach could even affect the situation. I can see someone hiring a person with something like that in their background if it is a position very difficult or almost impossible to fill. On the other hand, if it's a social studies teacher...dime a dozen.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,032 times
i'm going to join my union tomorrow and ask for legal advice...

Old 02-04-2017, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,274 times
I actually had a similar situation going back a few years ago. I had been arrested for "permitting violation of title"
because I had been allowing my boyfriend, at the time, to drive my vehicle. I had seen his license countless times, but had no way of knowing that his license was suspended, as he never turned in the license to the DMV upon suspension. Apparently he had received 3 tickets while driving my vehicle, but destroyed the tickets when they arrived at our shared residence. So the one day we were riding together and he got pulled over driving my car, I didn't see the problem, But after arresting him for countless tickets, they asked to see my license before allowing me to drive away. Not knowing that I had 3 tickets on my record, I willing handed over my license, only to have my jaw drop when the handcuffs came out and they told me I had 3 tickets on my record! I didn't even know what "permitting violation of title" was. It basically means that my title states that anyone driving the vehicle is a LICENSED driver. So, each time he got pulled over with my vehicle, I was also issued a ticket. And, being the real winner that he was, he never even notified me of the tickets and didn't want me to get mad or not allow him to drive my car anymore. Sure enough, because I was arrested (though never went to jail, just went before the night court judge and was released immediately), it has come back to haunt me. the arrest shows up on my PA state criminal history and my FBI clearance. So now my only choice to getting back into teaching is to have it expunged for a mere $750. I see that as my only option because I have been told by the personnel department where I have subbed that if I ever want a full-time teaching job again, they will not hire me due to the arrest. Even though it was dismissed and I paid a fine, they have so many applicants that they can easily hire an equally qualified teacher without an arrest on his/her record. Good luck to anyone else in this boat! For me, allowing him to ever drive my car was a terrible mistake and has been a "gray cloud " over me ever since.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
You should know the jobs usually don't go to the best candidates anyway; it's simply those who are "connected" who most likely get the teaching jobs.

While that may happen on occasion, it's rare. In 20 years of hiring teachers -- I would estimate around 100 -- maybe 3 times I had an applicant who had a connection. The rest were all just applicants who had applied and knew no one in our school.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:50 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
While that may happen on occasion, it's rare. In 20 years of hiring teachers -- I would estimate around 100 -- maybe 3 times I had an applicant who had a connection. The rest were all just applicants who had applied and knew no one in our school.

Maybe that's how it is in some parts of the US, but here it is an absolute requirement, as much as having state certification. This is not even hidden and many personnel have the same last names.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Maybe that's how it is in some parts of the US, but here it is an absolute requirement, as much as having state certification. This is not even hidden and many personnel have the same last names.
I'm highly skeptical of this.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:24 PM

In my district, I'm not sure that the OP's transgression would have gotten through the legal check that was done by the local or state police (can't remember which). Let's say it did. Given two candidates of otherwise fairly equal qualifications, why would I pick the candidate who had violated the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching