Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 06:54 AM

211 posts, read 212,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Not in my building. We have health teachers who only teach health.

Our PE teachers are some of the laziest teachers. I made the mistake of joining their collaboration group last semester and even though our conversations were supposed to be about formative assessments, the majority of the conversations revolved around sports. Another one lets her homeroom class do whatever they want, disrupting my class in the process.

One of the PE teachers from the high school I attended was convicted of indecent liberties with a minor. A year later, another one was convicted of providing alcohol to a student, and also having a relationship with a student.

I guess I don't have high opinions of PE teachers.

Why target PE teachers only for to those isolated cases of improper conduct between a PE teacher and a minor?

Should I not have high opinion of general education teachers due to the countless cases of sexual misconduct from teachers that we've all seen on the news?

Old 10-03-2015, 08:15 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,721,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
Why target PE teachers only for to those isolated cases of improper conduct between a PE teacher and a minor?

Should I not have high opinion of general education teachers due to the countless cases of sexual misconduct from teachers that we've all seen on the news?
Yeah, you're right, but it's different when you experience these things personally (I wasn't the victim, but I was attending the school when all of this went down.) My dislike for PE teachers goes way back to middle school. I've never been an athletic person, and therefor was looked down upon by most PE teachers.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:31 AM

11,646 posts, read 12,722,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Yeah, you're right, but it's different when you experience these things personally (I wasn't the victim, but I was attending the school when all of this went down.) My dislike for PE teachers goes way back to middle school. I've never been an athletic person, and therefor was looked down upon by most PE teachers.
I hated PE too, with a vengeance, as a student. But I don't let my personal bias and distaste for athletic participation hinder my appreciation for the duties of a PE teacher, even though like you, they didn't care for me since I was a low performer in their class. Please don't jump on the layperson's bandwagon of it must be so "easy" to be a teacher of this and that. You might find that being a kindergarten teacher or a PE teacher is much harder than you think. All jobs have their easier and harder responsibilities. A mark of a good teacher is to make it look easy, but that only happens after hours of blood, sweat, and tears, behind the scene.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:36 PM

45,455 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I hated PE too, with a vengeance, as a student. But I don't let my personal bias and distaste for athletic participation hinder my appreciation for the duties of a PE teacher, even though like you, they didn't care for me since I was a low performer in their class. Please don't jump on the layperson's bandwagon of it must be so "easy" to be a teacher of this and that. You might find that being a kindergarten teacher or a PE teacher is much harder than you think. All jobs have their easier and harder responsibilities. A mark of a good teacher is to make it look easy, but that only happens after years of blood, sweat, and tears, behind the scene.

I don't usually do this but I had to change/edit your post.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:16 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,722,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't usually do this but I had to change/edit your post.
Yes, it is years of blood, sweat and tears. I was thinking of prepping for each lesson or activity and as someone pointed out, with little kids, it's a series of short activities for one day, sometimes requiring several hours and $$ for one 20 minute activity.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:03 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,721,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Yes, it is years of blood, sweat and tears. I was thinking of prepping for each lesson or activity and as someone pointed out, with little kids, it's a series of short activities for one day, sometimes requiring several hours and $$ for one 20 minute activity.
A coworker is now teaching 2nd grade as that's where her real passion is. She spends money all the time on classroom stuff, probably 100s of dollars a year. Maybe I'm a little bit selfish, but I try not to buy anything for my classroom using my own money. But I will occasionally buy food or drink for our club meetings.

If I don't already have it and the school or department won't buy it, it isn't getting bought at all.

I've been asking for some of those little whiteboards for years. I guess I could buy them myself, but I shouldn't have to spend my own money on it.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,025 times
After sitting here and reading these posts and comments, I am utterly disgusted! I am an Elementary Physical Education Teacher and very proud to be! I earn every penny of what I make and should not get paid less because people think all I do is set up some cones and have the kids throw the ball around. Here is just a few things of what I as a physical educator do during the day:
classroom management -over and over and over again
teaching a skill (OF MANY DIFFERENT SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES)-- with steps, practice and practice before we "play"
conduct different fitness skill movement preps (warm ups) --they don't just "run"
I make lesson plans just like every other teacher--i don't just wing it
equipment set up and break down (sometimes in between classes, not just beginning and end)(are you strong enough to do this everyday all day for 9 months) I SINCERELY DOUBT IT!!!
Behavior monitoring and disciplining
age appropriate plans for different activities/sports
Fitness Gram testing (i'm sure no classroom teacher could tell me what that is)
Data is collected, healthy fitness zone levels,
Teaching them over and over again about their heart and what it means to be heart healthy.
nutrition lessons
hygiene lessons
sex ed lessons
Dealing with all other teachers
knowing ALL of the students names
sometimes you're the counselor
sometimes you're their parent, coach, sister, brother, confidant, etc..
the difference is that i don't just have 25-30 kids to worry about, i have over 400!!!!
i go to meetings just like everyone else
most of the time, the "specials" teachers are in charge of pick up and drop off duty
some PE teachers teach grades across the board, K-8, K-5, 6-12---That is a lot of lesson planning based on age, its not all the same for each grade.
We are usually some sort of athlete in our day, so yes we do know sports and that is why we are hired to teach PE. PLus guess what I completed the same amount of university requirements as any other teacher and an internship and testing, blah blah...
just a few examples of what i do as a PE teacher. that being said, i would never put down another teachers area of expertise and demand that the state or administration fix someone's salary.
SHAME ON ALL OF YOU FOR PRETENDING LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT WE DO!!!!!
I AM SURE THAT ALL OF YOU TEACHERS ARE UNHAPPY IN YOUR JOBS AND THAT IS WHY YOU ARE POSTING NEGATIVELY ABOUT OTHERS---I JUST HOPE THAT DOESN'T REFLECT IN YOUR TEACHING ONTO THE STUDENTS!!!!
(OH PLEASE EXCUSE ALL THE GRAMMATICAL ERRORS, I GOT A LITTLE HEATED. BUT HEY I AM JUST A "GYM" TEACHER RIGHT, WE SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO READ, WRITE AND SPELL; RIGHT?)
GO BACK TO YOUR HOLES THAT YOU CRAWLED OUT OF!!!!

Old 10-13-2015, 02:57 PM

45,455 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE20 View Post

I AM SURE THAT ALL OF YOU TEACHERS ARE UNHAPPY IN YOUR JOBS AND THAT IS WHY YOU ARE POSTING NEGATIVELY ABOUT OTHERS---I JUST HOPE THAT DOESN'T REFLECT IN YOUR TEACHING ONTO THE STUDENTS!!!!
(OH PLEASE EXCUSE ALL THE GRAMMATICAL ERRORS, I GOT A LITTLE HEATED. BUT HEY I AM JUST A "GYM" TEACHER RIGHT, WE SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO READ, WRITE AND SPELL; RIGHT?)
I sat here and read what you wrote and am trying to figure out how you got that core teachers were questioning the salary of PE teachers. Almost unanimously other teachers came to your defense.

The people questioning it aren't in education and there only experience with school is that they once went to school and, maybe, graduated.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:03 PM

96 posts, read 92,034 times
Classroom teachers who have covered my colleagues in the gym have told me they could never do it everyday as a PE teacher. They don't even know what to do in the gym. Some of the general education teachers hated covering one of the PE classes when they were assigned coverages.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:22 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE20 View Post
Seriously, Dude? I, along with most of the certified teachers on here, defended PE teachers being on the same level. No need to get ugly and personal about it. I could throw out a little slam about hoping this is not a reflection of how you present yourself to your students.

That said, you shouldn't pretend like you know what other teachers' jobs entail, either. Based on what you have written it is clear you don't. But, regardless, it isn't some contest, every subject and every level has its advantages and disadvantages. It pretty much evens out, and if someone thinks others have it better they should seek an endorsement in that area, most states now have an abbreviated or alternate route set up for teachers certified in another area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching