Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 02:23 PM

45,501 posts, read 60,734,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Souza View Post
to OP

We get paid as much as you because we are as important as you are.

Lets be honest.. how many of us use math skills that we have learned past the 8th grade on a daily basis? I dont.. Skills in PE past the 8th grade, I certainly do. I also know more pro athletes (4) from my alma mater than I know of scientists/CPAs/etc (0).

And the same holds true for A LOT of people. So look past your hubris.. get over your frustration and teach your insignificant subject (im just being asinine now). Or become certified in PE if its so easy

Now, if the PE teachers are doing what you say, and you have all the information (which I doubt), they are just simply not doing their job lol...

You do know that the poster who started this thread a couple years ago is now Not a Member? Nor was he a teacher.

In fact, those of us who are teachers defended the PE guys.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 6,558 times
Ahhj dang... talk about insert foot. I was working under the assumption that only educators posted on this particular forum and in a weird way thought I was on another forum.

Trust me when I say I respect all disciplines and understand their importance in our high schools to create well-rounded individuals. I just wanted to get to the OP a bit and was under the assumption he/she was an educator and *maybe* they may see it. It was dated 2013 but hell, why not? Wouldve made for an intetesting debate :P

Old 03-30-2015, 06:16 PM

45,501 posts, read 60,734,312 times
Quote:
Ahhj dang... talk about insert foot. I was working under the assumption that only educators posted on this particular forum and in a weird way thought I was on another forum.

Trust me when I say I respect all disciplines and understand their importance in our high schools to create well-rounded individuals. I just wanted to get to the OP a bit and was under the assumption he/she was an educator and *maybe* they may see it. It was dated 2013 but hell, why not? Wouldve made for an intetesting debate :P
You get a lot of posters who have no connection with education except having gone to school and, maybe, graduating.

Usually on the order of that poster or the litany of "easy hours, work 1/2 the year, gold plated benefits, $100K pensions", etc.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,084 times
Okay I'm a PE aide but really I do 'everything' a pe teacher does except plan and grade. I will say the #1 most difficult part of the job is conflict management. You know how the little ones are super sensitive and love to tattle? Yeah...multiply that 3 times per hour. There's always contention at recess "She doesn't want to be my friend anymore" or "He called me a name" oh and the number one complaint "He's cutting". And this happens at the most inopportune time---during exercises, during instruction. Being in charge of 70+ kids all at once proves to be very difficult and really is like herding cats.

Oh yeah...at our school there is no gym so freeze or scorch I'm outside on my feet 8 hours a day. I still enjoy my job, but it can be very exhausting physically and emotionally.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:33 AM

2,998 posts, read 3,111,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
My best friend is a coach, and I'll admit he does way more work than I do, sometimes work 84/wk. On top of that, it cuts into his weekends, and its no uncommon for coaches to get back home from games at 1am. they are also sometimes used as hall monitors as well. For example, I am off now, but my buddy has an 8 am meeting tomorrow, and sometimes the meeting are at 630 am during the school year. Their job is never done, especially since the work cuts into their holidays.
I understand that with COACHES. There are many teachers who teach an academic subject AND coach a sport on top of that. LOL, they are truly saints. But I think what the OP is talking about is just plain old gym teachers period who don't coach anything or teach any academic subject.

I have a friend who "teaches" PE at a school in a really bad neighborhood. He told me he loves teaching kids in bad neighborhoods and he thinks teachers who teach at the so-called "good schools" are looking for an easy way out. But all he does is teach PE and throw the kids a ball to play with every class period. So that's easy for him to say, when he doesn't have to get them to sit still and be quiet and respectful so he can actually teach them anything, and when he has no pressure to get them to meet any state requirements or anything.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:53 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,195,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I understand that with COACHES. There are many teachers who teach an academic subject AND coach a sport on top of that. LOL, they are truly saints. But I think what the OP is talking about is just plain old gym teachers period who don't coach anything or teach any academic subject.

I have a friend who "teaches" PE at a school in a really bad neighborhood. He told me he loves teaching kids in bad neighborhoods and he thinks teachers who teach at the so-called "good schools" are looking for an easy way out. But all he does is teach PE and throw the kids a ball to play with every class period. So that's easy for him to say, when he doesn't have to get them to sit still and be quiet and respectful so he can actually teach them anything, and when he has no pressure to get them to meet any state requirements or anything.
The bolded makes a huge difference in the stress of a teacher's job, but teachers other than just PE get that break too.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:33 AM

2,998 posts, read 3,111,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The bolded makes a huge difference in the stress of a teacher's job, but teachers other than just PE get that break too.
True. But non-EOC teachers of actual subjects still have the stress of being held accountable by administration for grades and for how many students pass/fail their classes. PE teachers just throw a ball out and give everybody a 100. I've seen plenty of kids who are failing every other class on their schedule, yet miraculously have a 100 in PE. I don't teach a state tested/EOC subject, either, but if I gave all of my students a 100 every six weeks, you'd better believe the administration would be wondering what's going on in my classroom and breathing down my neck.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:11 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,195,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
True. But non-EOC teachers of actual subjects still have the stress of being held accountable by administration for grades and for how many students pass/fail their classes. PE teachers just throw a ball out and give everybody a 100. I've seen plenty of kids who are failing every other class on their schedule, yet miraculously have a 100 in PE. I don't teach a state tested/EOC subject, either, but if I gave all of my students a 100 every six weeks, you'd better believe the administration would be wondering what's going on in my classroom and breathing down my neck.
Not always true with all adminstrators - at my last school the principal would have been just fine with you giving away 100's in your non-tested area class provided the students were behaving and no parents were complaining. Our Drama and Vocational Ed teachers were told to ease up, that stringent grading needed to be saved for tested subjects, as a matter of fact. I can see the validity of both schools of thought on that one.

Also, some kids only pass PE because that is the only class they try at all in. I think, truthfully, some kids need PE simply because it is the only class they experience success in or don't struggle with. It definitely is the only class some enjoy, especially boys. There are many ways to learn and many ways to evaluate that learning, just because a PE teacher goes about it differently than academic classes doesn't automatically make them or their class less valuable. I have only worked with one PE teacher I didn't respect, the rest were true professionals who were genuinely trying to do what was best for their students.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:26 AM

75 posts, read 89,994 times
Because health and fitness is just as important to an individual's growth as it is knowing a bunch of math or science facts!

Old 04-10-2015, 05:34 AM

80 posts, read 162,440 times
Quote:
to OP

We get paid as much as you because we are as important as you are.

Lets be honest.. how many of us use math skills that we have learned past the 8th grade on a daily basis? I dont.. Skills in PE past the 8th grade, I certainly do. I also know more pro athletes (4) from my alma mater than I know of scientists/CPAs/etc (0).

And the same holds true for A LOT of people. So look past your hubris.. get over your frustration and teach your insignificant subject (im just being asinine now). Or become certified in PE if its so easy

Now, if the PE teachers are doing what you say, and you have all the information (which I doubt), they are just simply not doing their job lol...

Bravo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.