Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 11:59 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,190,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpehatman View Post
Gee I wonder why some classroom teachers get paid more than PE teachers -all some of them do is hand out worksheets and sit at their desks while I am costar;y moving and teaching students how to move, how to manipulate objects, how to think outside the box, how to work together, how to take care of their bodies so that hey can stay healthy for a long life, teaching all different types of exercise and activities so that students can find some activity they like and will enjoy...
1) Classroom teachers do not get paid more than PE teachers if they have the same credentials and years of experience.

2) All competent teachers and their subjects are of value.

3) So... did you sign up today just so you could troll?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:31 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,680,497 times
With as difficult as teaching PE is and how easy we all have it in the core subjects, I guess a substantial turn around is on the way and we will start seeing a shortage of PE teachers and a glut of math and science teachers now.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:38 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,234,072 times
I would say PE is probably one of the most important classes in school. More emphasis should be placed on this subject.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,953,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
As the department chair AND tutoring students every day after school, I got a big, fat, whopping zero in extra pay. The coaches always get paid more. In this day and age of accountability, I can't imagine the mindset of a school board that would entertain increasing the pay of a wrestling coach (my son wrestled and I saw what work they did...at least, part of it) but not the teacher who stays after school to tutor kids who need help in mathematics.
I was told, point blank, by administration that they would pay me to host arts and crafts club or free play soccer after school (aka babysitting--the kids organize and play all by themselves), but that if I stayed after to tutor kids I wouldn't be eligible for money (because that's just assumed to be part of my normal job--if the kids need tutoring, I'm not doing my job well enough I guess). Seems odd that I can make $15/hour by throwing scissors and construction paper on the table, but $0 for planning another daily lesson and corralling kids into my room for necessary extra help

I still opt to do the math tutoring. It's what the kids need, and what is going to benefit them the most. They can't/won't get help with their math anywhere else.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,395,509 times
This thread reminds me of a teacher who once asked me if a degree was necessary to teach SPED.

And really, what I did all day, because I had three aids in the classroom... The fact that one was there, strictly for Braille production was over her head. And pay grade, obviously.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:44 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,680,497 times
I think PE should be every bit as important as any other subject. I subbed a lot in PE, and the comparison was laughable. A good physical education program would be worth its weight in gold, but I have yet to see it.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:56 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,752,171 times
I am a strong pro-union person ( PRIVATE sector pro-union )

I can assure you in the union I was the local president, you would not see 2 job positions so different from a PHY-ED teacher to a math teacher get paid the same !

Old 10-02-2013, 12:00 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,752,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
My best friend is a coach, and I'll admit he does way more work than I do, sometimes work 84/wk. On top of that, it cuts into his weekends, and its no uncommon for coaches to get back home from games at 1am. they are also sometimes used as hall monitors as well. For example, I am off now, but my buddy has an 8 am meeting tomorrow, and sometimes the meeting are at 630 am during the school year. Their job is never done, especially since the work cuts into their holidays.
apples to oranges.

Being a ..........coach......... is not part of the job description of a phy-ed TEACHER.

Athletics are called extra curricular for a reason.
Neither coach nor student are forced to participate and the coach is paid an additional salary for coaching.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:20 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,843,515 times
I think this thread has now been thoroughly beaten to death (along with a few PE teachers). Can you imagine spending each day with those little savages if they didn't have some time outdoors to expend all of that excess energy? (Yes, I am referring to the kids...not the PE teachers!)

Old 10-02-2013, 06:46 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,953,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I think this thread has now been thoroughly beaten to death (along with a few PE teachers). Can you imagine spending each day with those little savages if they didn't have some time outdoors to expend all of that excess energy? (Yes, I am referring to the kids...not the PE teachers!)
Sure--I do it every day. We follow a block schedule in middle school, so every day only half the kids have PE. Then there's the quarter that they have health instead of PE, and none of the kids have physical activities.

It is actually a unique day when the kids break a sweat in PE class at my school. They do some really cool things with the kids--not downplaying their jobs or efforts--but it's not running around outside. They do an archery unit, a ping pong unit, a bowling unit...none of which are particularly strenuous sports that are going to help kids burn off excess energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching