Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 09:40 AM

395 posts, read 375,758 times

Advertisements

Subbing has helped me feel better about not being a regular teacher though. I'm way too biased and emotionally attached to kids to be a professional in this environment. I've been handling real estate like a pro and already have been talking to a lot of people who claim me to be one of the most knowledgeable people they met in the industry and I'm also helping several people repair their credit and get their finances in order. I like working with kids at summer camp and babysitting, but I don't schools are where my professional expertise is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 02:06 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,742,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
Subbing has helped me feel better about not being a regular teacher though. I'm way too biased and emotionally attached to kids to be a professional in this environment. I've been handling real estate like a pro and already have been talking to a lot of people who claim me to be one of the most knowledgeable people they met in the industry and I'm also helping several people repair their credit and get their finances in order. I like working with kids at summer camp and babysitting, but I don't schools are where my professional expertise is.
I guess I'm kind of the same way with teaching. I really enjoyed teaching college. All of my students wanted to learn, and those that didn't usually just dropped the class or stopped coming.

In the K-12 system, we are supposed to help every student, but I have a hard time using my own time before or after school to help students who never do their homework, and make no attempt to study. I'd just rather them be in another class. I hated lazy a$$es when I was in high school, and I still hate them, adults and children alike.

For me, the worst thing about teaching is the lack of adult communication during the day. I miss being in graduate school and teaching adults, and being able to talk to my colleagues. A lot of my students are very mature, but they are still children, so the conversation can only go so far because they lack the life experiences and world knowledge that adults often have.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:30 PM

20,133 posts, read 16,223,925 times
Quote:
I am very glad that you have grown in your understanding of yourself. Sorting who we are and aren't is one of those really difficult tasks of maturing.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:21 PM

It just seems some kids have no use for teachers. I was in a math and science class working on physics with kids who have no number sense at all. I was breaking it down as much as I could explaining it in detail, but I wasn't getting through to them.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,981,038 times
Quote:
It just seems some kids have no use for teachers. I was in a math and science class working on physics with kids who have no number sense at all. I was breaking it down as much as I could explaining it in detail, but I wasn't getting through to them.
The problem with this is that the kids have misconceptions about math and that hurts them in terms of relearning. If you simply repeat what they have already been taught, it won't help them get rid of the misconceptions.

I recommend reading this book and using it with kids who need help especially if you are tutoring them. There are activities books as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Math-Misconcep.../dp/0325026130

Old 10-17-2015, 09:18 PM

That looks like a good book. I'll definitely take a look at it when I start tutoring.

I've been perfectly happy subbing. I've had many kids tell me I was the best sub they ever had and I like going into new schools and classrooms every day. It's never really bothered me the kids that are talkative and full of energy. It's mostly been the ones who are very disruptive and completely inconsiderate that have bothered me.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:46 AM

20,133 posts, read 16,223,925 times
Quote:
That looks like a good book. I'll definitely take a look at it when I start tutoring.

I've been perfectly happy subbing. I've had many kids tell me I was the best sub they ever had and I like going into new schools and classrooms every day. It's never really bothered me the kids that are talkative and full of energy. It's mostly been the ones who are very disruptive and completely inconsiderate that have bothered me.
Do they say why they think you are the best sub they have ever had?

Old 10-18-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Do they say why they think you are the best sub they have ever had?
Usually it's because of my humor, energy, and youthfulness. They sometimes say because I'm funny, make the lesson fun, etc. Whether or not it's a good thing that they think I'm the best sub ever, at least it isn't because I let them get away with bad behavior, because I've sent lots of kids to the principal's office and wrote two office referrals already. I let them be kids as long as it isn't disrupting the class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching