Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 07:59 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,016,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
I was a sub today and kind of need to vent about frustration with some rude parents when I was trying to deal with an emergency.

I was subbing for an art class in a school district that is top rated and the cops there told me fights like that never really happen so that might be why the staff seemed rather unprepared to step in and take action.

So in class early a couple students, a 15 and a 17 year old were arguing and I told them to cool it. Later in the class period the older student said I needed to tell the other kid to stop talking about him or he was going to kick his *****, even though none of us heard this kid talking about him at all.

The younger kid told him was pretty petty to bully and threaten a freshman when he was a senior. He said he didn't care, he was going to f---ing kick his ass anyway. Right then I went to the hall monitor outside the door with access to a radio to tell him I needed help in the room because there was about to be a physical fight.

Now, the part I'm disgusted at, is there were about 3 parents standing there and heard me say there was a fight going on and I needed help and it was an emergency, and when the monitor told me he was going to call an administrator, the parents stepped in front of me and cut him off saying things like they needed to get their kids out for a doctor's appointment, had somewhere to go early, or some other nonsense. As if their issue was more important than keeping other kids safe. I waited about 5 seconds and when other parents started interrupting him again when he was asking them to patiently wait, I just ran back to the classroom because to make sure nothing worse was going on and the older kid was standing there punching the freshman kid all over the place and I pulled him away while he was still in attack mode and walked him down to the office.

An administrator came down to question me and the other student and said to write in the report that I went to try and get the hall monitor to cover everyone. She said I didn't do anything wrong for leaving the room trying to get help. The parents in the hall just wouldn't let him have a moment to take care of this incident and kept cutting him off and cutting in front of me when he said he needed them to give him just a moment. I told the police officers at the school that story and he said that's not surprising. The parents in school districts like this generally are selfish and care only about them and their kids.

Is it really that bad or was the cop just making a generalization?
The bizarre part of this story is that parents were in the hall outside a classroom. In my school district, you will never see a parent in the hall. It is not permitted. Unless a parent has a legitimate reason for being in the school (like volunteering) they have to go and wait in the office while a staff member calls for the kid or goes to the room. Parents roaming the school is both a distraction and a safety hazard.

Finally, I don't understand why you left students in the classroom knowing there was about to be a fight, or why the hall monitor didn't just ignore the parents and walk right past them. Couldn't you have sent one of the students out of the room?? Seems like that would have solved the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 08:04 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,625,966 times
Quote:
I just wanna know what's the matter with you guys. Most of you here admit you wouldn't become a teacher if you had to start from scratch again, so what's the point? According to the numbers, nome of you are doing anything to improve humanity or racial inequality, so what's the point if you complain about the testing, the system, and how you hate a lot of the job and wouldn't advise anyone else to go into it? Why don't you just do something else?
For many of us there are no other options. I made the change into teaching at 48. Do you know how hard it is to find a job when you're 50 something? I would leave teaching if I could find an engineering job but I can't. When companies do hire they want new graduates. I'm considered another company's throw away. I'll believe we have a shortage of engineers when 50 somethings like me can get interviews and jobs. I know several former engineers who never found work again after being downsized out. Most chose to retire as they were older than me and have reached 62 so they can get SS. I even know engineers younger than me who have never found work.

I'm resigned to my position. I'll do the best I can and part of that is making sure the world knows the real score. I would not recommend that anyone go into teaching because teaching isn't about teaching anymore. It's about testing and grade inflation. It's about looking better than you really are. I went into teaching to raise the bar but then I found out the bar is a limbo bar and the name of the game is how low can you go. Unfortunately, it was too late to make another career change when I realized that. It doesn't matter though. Looking at the other engineers I know who were downsized out I probably would still be unemployed if I hadn't become a teacher. At least I have a job and if I did leave the next person couldn't affect any more change than I can. In fact as a former engineer I might actually be able to have some impact. Next summer I plan on writing the governor who is a former engineer himself. He doesn't listen to teachers. Maybe he'll listen to another engineer.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:23 AM

395 posts, read 376,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
The bizarre part of this story is that parents were in the hall outside a classroom. In my school district, you will never see a parent in the hall. It is not permitted. Unless a parent has a legitimate reason for being in the school (like volunteering) they have to go and wait in the office while a staff member calls for the kid or goes to the room. Parents roaming the school is both a distraction and a safety hazard.

Finally, I don't understand why you left students in the classroom knowing there was about to be a fight, or why the hall monitor didn't just ignore the parents and walk right past them. Couldn't you have sent one of the students out of the room?? Seems like that would have solved the problem.
The first problem is that the office left me no phone number extensions to get a hold of anyone if I needed help. They had a sub folder with some basic information and an attendance list.

The reason the parents were in the hallway is because the offices were in the middle of the building, and they had to check in with the hall monitors.

The staff were unprepared to deal with a physical fight because it just doesn't happen there. The perpetrator wasn't listening to me or anyone else, and they were kind of going at it with words, so when I heard the threats is when I tried to get someone.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:47 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,243,422 times
Quote:
The first problem is that the office left me no phone number extensions to get a hold of anyone if I needed help. They had a sub folder with some basic information and an attendance list.

The reason the parents were in the hallway is because the offices were in the middle of the building, and they had to check in with the hall monitors.

The staff were unprepared to deal with a physical fight because it just doesn't happen there. The perpetrator wasn't listening to me or anyone else, and they were kind of going at it with words, so when I heard the threats is when I tried to get someone.
For future reference, you send a student or a pair of students to get help and you stay in the classroom.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:55 AM

17,183 posts, read 23,005,262 times
Quote:

BUT, you never leave students alone in a classroom. That is the first rule of teaching (or subbing). You send students to get help or yell out the door for the teacher in the next classroom. You left the class alone and if there was a fight and an injury, you would be held responsible.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:08 AM

11,667 posts, read 12,783,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
For future reference, you send a student or a pair of students to get help and you stay in the classroom.
Here, if a teacher leaves the classroom, that would be cause for dismissal. That should have been made clear in the training or sub/teacher handbook. If necessary, you can shout that you need help into the hall, but you can't physically set foot outside that room.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:07 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,752,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
BUT, you never leave students alone in a classroom. That is the first rule of teaching (or subbing). You send students to get help or yell out the door for the teacher in the next classroom. You left the class alone and if there was a fight and an injury, you would be held responsible.
I leave my French 4 students alone for 3 minutes for me to go to the bathroom (which is all the way upstairs). I teach 3 classes in a row from 7:30 to 12:30 with no break in between. The teacher next to me is SPED, so she cannot watch my class.

I haven't discussed this with administration because I hate complaining. But I'm really not concerned because my French 4 class is only 8 students and all of them are honors level.

Would I leave freshmen or sophomores alone? Heck no? But my 8 students in French 4 will be okay for just a few minutes. I've known them for years. After all, the students are by themselves in the morning before school starts, so what's 3 minutes during class?

Old 10-11-2015, 12:13 PM

45,595 posts, read 60,986,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I leave my French 4 students alone for 3 minutes for me to go to the bathroom (which is all the way upstairs). I teach 3 classes in a row from 7:30 to 12:30 with no break in between. The teacher next to me is SPED, so she cannot watch my class.

I haven't discussed this with administration because I hate complaining. But I'm really not concerned because my French 4 class is only 8 students and all of them are honors level.

Would I leave freshmen or sophomores alone? Heck no? But my 8 students in French 4 will be okay for just a few minutes. I've known them for years. After all, the students are by themselves in the morning before school starts, so what's 3 minutes during class?
While I've done the same, actually been called to the Office for an impromptu parent conference where the VP told me to just leave the kids alone you're right, there is no problem until there is a problem.

It is not considered a good thing in about 99% of situations to do so.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:17 PM

20,135 posts, read 16,243,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

You better hope nothing happens, honor students or not. The difference is that before school they are not legally your responsibility, a student sitting in your classroom is. Legally you would be better off locking your door and leaving them in the hall, but then your administrator might have a fit.

Many teachers have to endure 5 or more hours with no bathroom break, it sucks. It shouldn't be allowed but it is.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,752,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

Many teachers have to endure 5 or more hours with no bathroom break, it sucks. It shouldn't be allowed but it is.
When I had a different schedule, I often had the teacher next door watch my class and hers at the same time as students are coming into the classroom from their previous class. By the time the late bell rang, I was already back.

I try not to drink much during the day, but around noon every day, my juice or water from breakfast hits.

No idea what my administration would think of leaving the classroom. If they ever said something, maybe I can just call one of them to watch my classroom while I go to the BR.

Like someone else said, it's not a problem until something happens.

Add this to my list of reasons why this will be my last year teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching