Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 12:10 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,574,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
Yeah, and I guess the reality of life is just going to be that whites are always going to be thought of as the well off ones given the good schools and teachers, and th e blacks are gonna be considered a disaster who need things handed to them.
I would suggest you go sub in an inner city school. All too often minorities really are the disadvantaged ones. Being white myself I couldn't get help for school that I would have gotten if I were black or a foreigner studying engineering. However, what someone else gets doesn't impact what I have to do one iota. I can complain to the powers that be but if they choose not to change it they don't change it. I was born poor and white. Poor is poor IMO. Unfortunately my parents were divorced so I had to include BOTH family incomes on my FAF. After I was married I found I had to claim my husband's income but could not claim his bills or dependents. Yeah it sucked. So I went to community college, worked my butt off and won a full scholarship to study engineering. Then I got a job with a company that would pay for my masters in engineering. I paid for my MAT myself. Fortunately I could afford school by then.

It is what it is. Wishing won't change anything. Only hard work will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 12:33 PM

11,654 posts, read 12,733,935 times
Quote:
Oh boo hoo. There are things called libraries, internet cafe's, and computer labs. I got a college degree while being suicidal several times and had mental health therapy. If they don't get the work done, they fail. It's their diploma on the line.
OMG, you are so completely naive and ignorant. The "inner city" is not just Black and Hispanic students. These kids have never had any sense of "normalcy." They have been bounced around different caregivers, including foster parents their entire lives since infancy. They don't care about getting a diploma or graduating from HS. They are not afraid of going to jail. Their own family has been in and out of jail. They have been left to fend for themselves since they were babies. They are full of confusion and anger and they don't even know who to be angry at. No one took them to the library or got them a library card and I haven't seen an internet "cafe' in that kind of neighborhood. Lack of technology access is the least of their problems. These kids don't think about some abstract concept like "the future." They are only concerned with the present and that means instant gratification. These kids aren't suicidal. They are in survival mode and if that means taking or aggression towards others, then they do it because that's what they have experienced all their lives, survival of the fittest. If you think this is a race issue, then how do you explain how the majority of the teachers and administrators in the inner city schools in Newark, Trenton, Mt. Vernon, NYC, Washington DC. are Black and Hispanic, themselves? Go ahead and "read" about it as if when you sub, you are visiting a foreign country. I've only lived it. You are clueless. You think the charter schools in NYC are less violent than public schools? They also have metal detectors and all NYC charter and public schools have full-time "school safety officers" who are just a branch of the police stationed in the school building. There are also security cameras everywhere.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
Quote:
Yeah, and I guess the reality of life is just going to be that whites are always going to be thought of as the well off ones given the good schools and teachers, and th e blacks are gonna be considered a disaster who need things handed to them.
You are like an amalgamation of the worst talk radio commenters. Just stop.

For the millionth time, you should not be in a classroom because you are not there for the right reasons. It's not a place for you to exorcise the demons of your personal life or spread your ignorant opinions of society.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

For the millionth time, you should not be in a classroom because you are not there for the right reasons. It's not a place for you to exorcise the demons of your personal life or spread your ignorant opinions of society.
Agreed. Work on your personal issues and please, stay away from my children.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:14 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,195,599 times
Quote:
I'm not being unsympathetic. I'm saying that I'm sick of teachers giving less creative assignments and resorting to easy, concrete thinking to students just because they are black or Hispanic.

If their life is that messed up that they can't do the work, we're just supposed to make the work easier for them so they can get a diploma they haven't earned? I'm so sick of this. Kids in suburbs have anger issues, parents in a divorce, learning disabilities, or other problems as well. You don't see teachers there saying that they can't handle creative thinking assignments.

Admit it. It's not because they live in the inner city, other teachers just think they're dumb because they are black.
Uhm.... No. Three of my children are better educated than you and the last most likely will be when she is done. No teacher ever treated them different than the academically gifted students they were. We aren't even light skinned.

By the way, there is a world of difference between your parents getting divorced and your mother and fourth Baby Daddy getting in a drug fueled fight for the third time this week, only last night it ended with someone landing in the hospital and someone landing in jail instead of the usual comatose sleeping it off until past noon.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:55 PM

395 posts, read 375,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

And your evidence that I do this in the classroom is what?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
Quote:
And your evidence that I do this in the classroom is what?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
OMG, you are so completely naive and ignorant. The "inner city" is not just Black and Hispanic students. These kids have never had any sense of "normalcy." They have been bounced around different caregivers, including foster parents their entire lives since infancy. They don't care about getting a diploma or graduating from HS. They are not afraid of going to jail. Their own family has been in and out of jail. They have been left to fend for themselves since they were babies. They are full of confusion and anger and they don't even know who to be angry at. No one took them to the library or got them a library card and I haven't seen an internet "cafe' in that kind of neighborhood. Lack of technology access is the least of their problems. These kids don't think about some abstract concept like "the future." They are only concerned with the present and that means instant gratification. These kids aren't suicidal. They are in survival mode and if that means taking or aggression towards others, then they do it because that's what they have experienced all their lives, survival of the fittest. If you think this is a race issue, then how do you explain how the majority of the teachers and administrators in the inner city schools in Newark, Trenton, Mt. Vernon, NYC, Washington DC. are Black and Hispanic, themselves? Go ahead and "read" about it as if when you sub, you are visiting a foreign country. I've only lived it. You are clueless. You think the charter schools in NYC are less violent than public schools? They also have metal detectors and all NYC charter and public schools have full-time "school safety officers" who are just a branch of the police stationed in the school building. There are also security cameras everywhere.
You know what you do in situations like these? You stick up your chin, and grin, and say..... The sun will come out tomorrow.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
You know what you do in situations like these? You stick up your chin, and grin, and say..... The sun will come out tomorrow.
You don't say the sun will come out tomorrow when you don't know what the sun is or have ever seen it. If you made a suicide attempt, it doesn't seem like you were expecting to be rescued by the sun either.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:24 PM

It seems as if everyone is quick to make personal attacks because I tell it like I see it (and likely how it is). People here are actually defending giving inner city students a free diploma without having to work for it. It's disgraceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching