Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 07:56 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
If I had finished my internship and went on to be a teacher, I'd be in the administrator's office every day chewing them out over how horrible of a job most of them do with the school and the system, and refuse to do their crap because the system says so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
And as soon as you walked out the door the administrator would on the phone to HR to find out how soon he could get you out of his building and carefully taking notes on what he has to do to make sure it happens. Do you honestly not understand that you are the peon in this scenario?.....
We had a new teacher, I guess it was last year because she was supposed to co-teach a multi-level class with me, who did this.

She made it to around 10 AM the second day of pre-service. She was there one minute, tearing up the hallway to berate the Associate Superintendent who had just come in the building, and then she was gone.

It was pretty ugly to watch. I had secreted myself nearby to see how things shook out. I had cautioned her that she shouldn't do any boat rocking over her issues. Obviously she didn't pay attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No it isn't. If you had to live with the obstacles they have you might understand. It's not so much a free diploma as it is accepting what they have to give because the stigma of NOT getting a diploma will make their lives so much worse. You do what you can to get them through. What does graduating with a D- average really say to the world? Not much but that diploma is a ticket to a minimum wage job or classes at a community college.

Helping students graduate is helping them get on with their lives. NOT having a diploma can really hold them back. You have to look at the whole picture. There's only so much you can do with a student who can't read or do simple math. You do what you can and let them graduate knowing that they gave what they could, you did what you could and that piece of paper at least gives them a chance to move forward. 50 years ago you could get a job without a diploma but not today. EVERYONE is EXPECTED to graduate and there is a real stigma to not graduating.

One thing that has shocked me as a teacher is just how many kids have lives that just suck. I had no idea before I became a teacher. You do what you can for kids who come from rough backgrounds and accept what they can. As I said before. What are you really telling the world to let a student graduate with a D- average?
I only wish they held to a D average.

I've been told for certain classes (elective) no less than a C regardless of what they did or didn't do.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:39 PM

395 posts, read 374,626 times
They don't deserve a diploma if they don't earn it. Case closed. Any school that told me I must pass every student, I would simply say no, not as long as I'm on their staff.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No it isn't. If you had to live with the obstacles they have you might understand. It's not so much a free diploma as it is accepting what they have to give because the stigma of NOT getting a diploma will make their lives so much worse. You do what you can to get them through. What does graduating with a D- average really say to the world? Not much but that diploma is a ticket to a minimum wage job or classes at a community college.

Helping students graduate is helping them get on with their lives. NOT having a diploma can really hold them back. You have to look at the whole picture. There's only so much you can do with a student who can't read or do simple math. You do what you can and let them graduate knowing that they gave what they could, you did what you could and that piece of paper at least gives them a chance to move forward. 50 years ago you could get a job without a diploma but not today. EVERYONE is EXPECTED to graduate and there is a real stigma to not graduating.

One thing that has shocked me as a teacher is just how many kids have lives that just suck. I had no idea before I became a teacher. You do what you can for kids who come from rough backgrounds and accept what they can. As I said before. What are you really telling the world to let a student graduate with a D- average?
You are NOT helping a student by giving them a passing grade for doing NOTHING

Old 10-10-2015, 09:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
You are NOT helping a student by giving them a passing grade for doing NOTHING
A high school diploma in 2015 is next to useless. What will a HS diploma get you? A job at McDonalds? However, you are better off with the diploma than without.

Even 4 year degree diplomas are becoming somewhat worthless.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:39 PM

Yes, so you earn it before you get it.

If I had control of the country, those without the basic competency to get a diploma or a job would be sterilized so they cannot create offspring that they cannot take care of.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:02 PM

I just wanna know what's the matter with you guys. Most of you here admit you wouldn't become a teacher if you had to start from scratch again, so what's the point? According to the numbers, nome of you are doing anything to improve humanity or racial inequality, so what's the point if you complain about the testing, the system, and how you hate a lot of the job and wouldn't advise anyone else to go into it? Why don't you just do something else?

Old 10-11-2015, 04:56 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Quote:
I just wanna know what's the matter with you guys. Most of you here admit you wouldn't become a teacher if you had to start from scratch again, so what's the point? According to the numbers, nome of you are doing anything to improve humanity or racial inequality, so what's the point if you complain about the testing, the system, and how you hate a lot of the job and wouldn't advise anyone else to go into it? Why don't you just do something else?
I personally don't hate my job. I worked in policing before, and loved it despite the terrible reality of life. But we continue in the face of that, because of a drive to help people. You aren't able to see the big picture, which is why you don't understand. You view the world compared to your own experience and don't seem to have empathy (a common trait of an Aspsie), that's why you don't see it. This is why people on the ASD spectrum thrive in other occupations, but not this one.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:33 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
They don't deserve a diploma if they don't earn it. Case closed. Any school that told me I must pass every student, I would simply say no, not as long as I'm on their staff.
It's all good, you wouldn't be on their staff long.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:56 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I only wish they held to a D average.

I've been told for certain classes (elective) no less than a C regardless of what they did or didn't do.
That is ridiculous. A C is supposed to mean you know a minimum. I'll give a D- pass to a student who I believe has given it their all. I see no reason for my class to stand in the way of them graduating when they just can't do it. I would never give a C. That you have to earn. That just sucks that you have to. I've never been told I have to pass anyone but if I'm working with a special ed teacher they will sometimes pass kids I wouldn't have but that's on them. I put that ball in their court. I only give passes to kids who are trying and just not succeeding. Most of them will earn that D- on their own. I've pushed a few up to that mark though because there was simply no justice in making them repeat the class. When the student is trying and just not succeeding and I know they're not going to do any better next year I let them move on but I can give them a D- that says they really don't know much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching