Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 05:26 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That novel has so much more to focus on than just the suicide, especially the condoning of it for him, which was an affront to his culture. I guess, more than anything, I don't understand why the emphasis on that instead of how his father's life molded his life or the destruction of his culture and way of life by colonialism, which is what the novel is about. The suicide in the novel is only important as to how it is reflection of those things, not point of the novel.

Like I said, the last thing you want is to imply there is justification of suicide with teenagers. From a purely teacher best interest standpoint, if one of those kids ends up making a suicidal gesture or, God forbid, successfully manages it, you might find yourself on one extremely hot seat.
The novel has a lot to offer, that's true. But to shy away from the climactic act by the protagonist and not try to understand the power in what he did, its effect on his own people and the statement he was making by doing it is to do an incomplete job of discussing the text. His suicide can be seen either as an act of strength and resistance, an act of weakness (thus reflecting on his father and undercutting Okonkwo's entre life's mission) or even simply as a critique of his own traditions and his community. But unless we explore each of these (and others) which would require understanding the thought process which prompts each, we never see the possibilities in the character and the story.

Are we now to shy away from all texts that have suicide (bye bye Brave New World, so long Romeo and Juliet) because, unless we issue a blanket condemnation of the characters who kill themselves, we might appear to endorse or suborn certain behaviors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 07:55 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I wouldn't say it's necessary to shy away from texts that reference suicide (graphic violence, terror, whatever).

But it's also not necessary to make the topics focal points of assignments, especially if it's a vulnerable audience.

I taught Of Mice and Men to my 10th grade class at a behavioral school. I had a classroom full of adolescent boys with learning disabilities, emotional problems, aggressive behavior, and various neurological syndromes. It was actually a really great book to teach (although I did have to go toe-to-toe with one parent), but given my boys' issues, making indepth, focused assignments about things like crushing mice, shooting old dogs, snapping women's necks, and mercy killing your disabled sidekick would have been unwise and insensitive.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I wouldn't say it's necessary to shy away from texts that reference suicide (graphic violence, terror, whatever).

But it's also not necessary to make the topics focal points of assignments, especially if it's a vulnerable audience.

I taught Of Mice and Men to my 10th grade class at a behavioral school. I had a classroom full of adolescent boys with learning disabilities, emotional problems, aggressive behavior, and various neurological syndromes. It was actually a really great book to teach (although I did have to go toe-to-toe with one parent), but given my boys' issues, making indepth, focused assignments about things like crushing mice, shooting old dogs, snapping women's necks, and mercy killing your disabled sidekick would have been unwise and insensitive.
Understood, but if students don't grapple with what drove George to do what he did -- if they don't try to understand the thought process that pushed him and almost made the killing a necessity, then have they taken from the text enough to understand the characters and the lesson of the story? That act is the culmination of the story -- the payoff. Without investigation into it, do the students really get the full depth of the situation?

Old 05-15-2016, 10:42 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Exactly my point.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:02 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Understood, but if students don't grapple with what drove George to do what he did -- if they don't try to understand the thought process that pushed him and almost made the killing a necessity, then have they taken from the text enough to understand the characters and the lesson of the story? That act is the culmination of the story -- the payoff. Without investigation into it, do the students really get the full depth of the situation?
Yes. I read Of Mice and Men on my own when I was a teen and didn't have any trouble grasping the complexity of the issues presented in the novel. However, I am also a student of literature and I always did well in my English and Lit classes, mostly b/c I have always been interested in literature.

That said, I understand that, as a teacher, there is only so much that you can do. While you clearly care about the subject matter and consider your role as a teacher important, not all of your students are going to connect with literature as you do; some will be get, most will not.

However, the worst thing that you can do is force the situation, and that is what it seems like you are doing with some of your suggested assignments. I think that it's wonderful that you are presenting your students with assignments that will challenge them and that are not the usual rigamarole. Yet I think that it is important to be aware that your role as a high school teacher limits you.

Have you ever thought of teaching at a cc or a local uni as an adjunct? I suggest this b/c instructors have much more freedom at the college level and students tend to be more receptive to the issues presented in literature, if only because they are more mature and parents (and the school board) are a non-issue.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yes. I read Of Mice and Men on my own when I was a teen and didn't have any trouble grasping the complexity of the issues presented in the novel. However, I am also a student of literature and I always did well in my English and Lit classes, mostly b/c I have always been interested in literature.

That said, I understand that, as a teacher, there is only so much that you can do. While you clearly care about the subject matter and consider your role as a teacher important, not all of your students are going to connect with literature as you do; some will be get, most will not.

However, the worst thing that you can do is force the situation, and that is what it seems like you are doing with some of your suggested assignments. I think that it's wonderful that you are presenting your students with assignments that will challenge them and that are not the usual rigamarole. Yet I think that it is important to be aware that your role as a high school teacher limits you.

Have you ever thought of teaching at a cc or a local uni as an adjunct? I suggest this b/c instructors have much more freedom at the college level and students tend to be more receptive to the issues presented in literature, if only because they are more mature and parents (and the school board) are a non-issue.
I find that I have plenty of freedom to explore themes where I work (as I have in all of the places where I have worked). I see it as my job to communicate passion and interest and draw reluctant readers and thinkers into that world by modeling excitement over literature. I also find that that works and has in most cases (there are exceptions but I deal with those classes differently...seniors don't want to do ANYTHING).

I guess what I can't see is, then, what people normally would cover when discussing these books. If you eliminate the climax and the psychological development of character, then the book never comes to fruition. I can't teach Frankenstein without having students attack and defend both Victor and his Creation. I wouldn't see that as justifying murder but as considering emotional growth and situational ethics.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:57 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
I find that I have plenty of freedom to explore themes where I work (as I have in all of the places where I have worked). I see it as my job to communicate passion and interest and draw reluctant readers and thinkers into that world by modeling excitement over literature. I also find that that works and has in most cases (there are exceptions but I deal with those classes differently...seniors don't want to do ANYTHING).

I guess what I can't see is, then, what people normally would cover when discussing these books. If you eliminate the climax and the psychological development of character, then the book never comes to fruition. I can't teach Frankenstein without having students attack and defend both Victor and his Creation. I wouldn't see that as justifying murder but as considering emotional growth and situational ethics.
I agree with you. I teach French at the college level but will be teaching high school soon and I have to censor a lot of my lessons. For example, I have my college students listen to a Quebecois artist who sings a song about a "good bottle of wine." Another high school teacher reminded me that I wouldn't be able to show it at the high school level, even though, from my pov, the song is completely inoffensive; after all, the French and Canadian French have very different attitudes toward wine than those in the U.S. In fact, part of me thinks that it's ridiculous that I am circumscribed by U.S. laws and culture when teaching a foreign culture. Yet, sadly, I am, and I have to acknowledge that if I am going to teach high school.

So, I guess my point is that, in terms of material and, especially, ethics you are limited as a high school teacher. Although you can't see how having students attack and defend both Victor and his Creation can be interpreted as justifying murder, as a high school teacher, you are circumscribed (unfortunately) by the pov of students, parents, other teachers, the principal and the school board.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I agree with you. I teach French at the college level but will be teaching high school soon and I have to censor a lot of my lessons. For example, I have my college students listen to a Quebecois artist who sings a song about a "good bottle of wine." Another high school teacher reminded me that I wouldn't be able to show it at the high school level, even though, from my pov, the song is completely inoffensive; after all, the French and Canadian French have very different attitudes toward wine than those in the U.S. In fact, part of me thinks that it's ridiculous that I am circumscribed by U.S. laws and culture when teaching a foreign culture. Yet, sadly, I am, and I have to acknowledge that if I am going to teach high school.

So, I guess my point is that, in terms of material and, especially, ethics you are limited as a high school teacher. Although you can't see how having students attack and defend both Victor and his Creation can be interpreted as justifying murder, as a high school teacher, you are circumscribed (unfortunately) by the pov of students, parents, other teachers, the principal and the school board.
I guess I have been lucky then. All these years and no complaints of note.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:05 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
I guess I have been lucky then. All these years and no complaints of note.
Yet, based on your first post, you too realize there are potenial problems with this type of focus for this assignment. Did you just want people to say "Cool assignment, Dude!" as a response? Public K-12 teachers must always keep in mind that they are teaching other people's children and those parents have a right to decide something is not appropriate for their child.

You have been lucky. As any teacher will tell you that has ended up in some parent's crosshairs, because the parent felt the teacher put their child at moral or emotional risk, it only takes one to destroy a career.
Quote:
I have been teaching "Things Fall Apart" to a regular level 10th grade class (caution, spoilers ahead). The discussions have been good, often centering on cultural differences and how we judge others without looking at our own practices.

As an assignment, I would like them to understand what motivated a character's choice to kill himself. Without flatly condoning suicide, I want them to be able to empathize and get into the mind of the character and one way might be to have students write a "suicide note" from the character explaining his motives, couched in the cultural imperatives of his world which make his decision reasonable, necessary or at least defensible. The exercise will help them work on voice, point of view and creative expression.

But I recognize how this assignment might be insensitive, offensive or otherwise problematic.

How can I get to the same skills and expression without simply falling back on a regular old essay (or even a simple personal response)? How else can students practice the skill of putting themselves in another's shoes especially as it relates to the climactic act of the protagonist, in an interesting way? All suggestions appreciated.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Yet, based on your first post, you too realize there are potenial problems with this type of focus for this assignment. Did you just want people to say "Cool assignment, Dude!" as a response? Public K-12 teachers must always keep in mind that they are teaching other people's children and those parents have a right to decide something is not appropriate for their child.

You have been lucky. As any teacher will tell you that has ended up in some parent's crosshairs, because the parent felt the teacher put their child at moral or emotional risk, it only takes one to destroy a career.
No, my first post was a recognition that the assignment I had in mind could be a problem. I was looking for alternatives instead of being told that it was a bad idea. I knew it was a bad idea, otherwise I would not have posted anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching