Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 11:46 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
A lot of the politically vocal people don't know how to read. They get the soundbites from their network channel. They can't read beyond the headline of a story to get the background. A lot of the people on here are confusing English in high school with EASL.

The teacher has experience with these kinds of people. These people tend to argue by repeating their mantras and can't be moved by facts or logic. It's not the kind of discourse that's useful in teaching, except to hold up as an example of people who've become intellectually lazy.

To me, whatever you're going on about here is no different from people whose only method of arguing a point is to insult others, like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

You're distorting the story and the facts.

... you and like-minded people can't handle certain books ...

You're certainly not capable of arguing ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 11:54 AM

50,869 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You can't win. The teachers unions are too strong. They are now supporting BLM in our district. Makes me sick.
How EXACTLY are they doing that?

Old 08-14-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
It is here where I live. My kids 8th grade science teacher taught her class that the world was going to end in 12 years and it was their parents and grandparents' fault. He has climate change posters all over the place and he was an Elizabeth Warren supporter. You do the math.
And I assume you would be just as upset if the teacher was a Trump supporter?

Old 08-14-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
You can't win. The teachers unions are too strong. They are now supporting BLM in our district. Makes me sick.
I don't know about where you are located, but in all my years in education (33 years), I found the "teacher's union" to have little influence on the day to day workings of a school, particularly if you're in a right-to-work state.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
It is here where I live. My kids 8th grade science teacher taught her class that the world was going to end in 12 years and it was their parents and grandparents' fault. He has climate change posters all over the place and he was an Elizabeth Warren supporter. You do the math.
Did you hear the teacher say the world was going to end in 12 years, or was that second hand information?

Old 08-14-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I think he should just stick to teaching English. If he wants to get into politics or whatever else, he should go find such a job.

I also think he forgets who he works for...

A parent, a tax payer, should be able to know exactly what is being taught in the schools, but especially a parent. I have+

no idea where the teacher and others get that there should be some sort of secrecy around it.

I would like to know what his course guide says, I think this stuff should be public info, at least to the parents and tax payers.
Curriculum guides are publicly available as a matter of public record.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:09 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
Well you know what? He'll just have to worry then.

For years, schools and teachers have been saying they WISHED they could get more parents involved in their children's education.

Welp, you got it bub.

Old 08-14-2020, 05:18 PM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Curriculum guides are publicly available as a matter of public record.
10 to 1 that the curriculum says nothing about destabilizing kids of conservative parents with regards to racism, homophobia or transphobia.

I'm sure that is not the job of an English teacher.

And rather than defend his statement, he went and made his twitter account private and would not respond to the news media who wanted his comments.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:28 PM

4,872 posts, read 6,935,343 times
Quote:
Let me tell you a little (true) story.

In my school we had a top-notch gifted program history teacher in the 8th grade. She had kids debate various topics throughout the school year (e.g., should we have dropped the atomic bombs on Japan). Kids could take either side of the debate. Sometimes, if no one took a particular side of a debate, she would represent that side of the argument. I used to keep a tally each year of the complaints I received about her (I was the principal). Roughly half of the complaints were that she was a liberal trying to indoctrinate students. Roughly half of the complaints were that she was a conservative trying to indoctrinate students. In other words, overall, she was balanced, despite what an individual parents wearing blinders might think.
Nice little story. I can't even decipher if you're making an attempt through this story to de-legitimize my post or not.

Fact is, there should be more people that have the ability to present a topic without bias. IF they're capable of leading a conversation like you stated, I'm all for it. Teachers that can lead such a balanced conversation are what our schools need.

It's NOT what most students attending our university system get. They have to regurgitate what the professor spoon feeds them in order to pass their class. Too many colleges allow this to happen. Just try and get a conservative speaker into these universities who's ALLOWED to give his/her opinions without being shouted down.

I'm sure you're talking about a high school teacher, but I interjected the college part as that is the most disgusting part of upper academics that I hate.

Look again at what the person stated about his concerns. He has an agenda, and he has no wish to show any sides other than HIS.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:44 PM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Quote:
Every child ought to have a basic understanding of the various major world religions. If they're not familiar with the basics of those religions, they're uneducated and ill-equipped for making political decisions in their adulthood.

Knowledge is NOT faith.

Your kid can't pray at home? At church? Silently to himself or herself in school -- schools do still allow freedom of thought.
Even back in my own schooling, the only classes that really allowed freedom of thought were, of all things, shop class, my 8th grade history teacher, and my 12th grade English teacher. All others graded based on how well you regurgitated their opinion back to them. I'm not talking about facts such as 2+2 or 1776 but courses where interpretation and opinion were the order of the day.

Students learn quickly that if you want a good grade in such a class, whether it's elementary, middle, high school or college, tell the teacher what the teacher wants to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching