Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 01:10 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Yesterday there was a short segment showing Biden stating that he thinks schools should teach more about the muslim "religion". But our kids can't pray in school?

Parents should pay very close attention to how kids today are being taught to hate our country and Americans resulting in the rioting, looting, and destruction of our cities. Pay very close attention to what they indoctrinating your children with.
Firstly, kids can pray in school.

"What does separation of church and state mean for schools?
Two provisions in the U.S. Constitution provide the answer to this question. The first is the Establishment Clause which prohibits the government from “establishing” a particular religion. ... U.S. courts have determined that public schools are an “arm of the state” and thus can do nothing to hinder or promote religion."

Secondly, teaching and learning about different cultures and religions are vastly different than worship.

If you can't make that distinction...if you can't tolerate your child learning and being exposed to different cultures and beliefs...that's a you problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 01:37 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Save the condescension.
I would be happy to discuss the topic with you but I need you to engage in good faith as well. If you are going to respond with short quips lacking content then I will do the same.

Anyway let me know if you think it would be worth either of our time to resume discussion. If not that is fine too, no one is obligated to care about anyone elses perspective.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:34 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
The most interesting part of this discussion is how often when someone brings up the topic of a teacher injecting their own beliefs into the classroom, the chorus rings out that a teacher would never do that. Yet here we have a teacher who specifically said it and yet some still act as if he didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I think you don't realize all the roles a teacher fulfills these days. Just to name a few.

Educator. Social Worker. Counselor. Mediator. Advocate.
I think most people do realize that. The issue is only one of those is their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Of course kids can pray in schools. You need to pay more attention.

Biden is right, but he made a mistake in only mentioning Islamic religion. What he really should have said is that all schools should teach more about ALL religions. Teaching about religions is not the same thing as teaching the religions. Learning the basics about world religions is an important part of Social Studies and helps young people to become more successful as adults dealing with world societies. People who refuse to learn anything about at least the basics of all religions are ignorant people living in an isolated bubble.

Who would you teaching about religion? A Baptist preacher? An Imam? And what age group? When does it go from teaching information to indoctrination or teaching anti religion? And why shouldn't the parents have a say in how their children are taught their religion? A child is not an adult to make his or her own decisions. What you can teach and discuss in a college class of adults is far different than what you should discuss in a class of impressionable kids.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
I've numbered the questions you asked so I can address them in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

(1) Who would you teaching about religion? A Baptist preacher? An Imam?

(2) And what age group?

(3) When does it go from teaching information to indoctrination or teaching anti religion?

(4) And why shouldn't the parents have a say in how their children are taught their religion?

(5) A child is not an adult to make his or her own decisions.

(6) What you can teach and discuss in a college class of adults is far different than what you should discuss in a class of impressionable kids.
(1) I'm guessing you are asking me who would I approve of to be teaching about religions in Social Studies classes? It would have to be a neutral historian who demonstrates no bias either for or against any religions and who espouses no religious beliefs of their own when teaching in the classroom. It absolutely cannot be any kind of acknowledged religious person such as you have suggested, (you said some kind of preacher or imam), that would be wrong. An acknowledged religious teacher of any kind would defeat the purpose of teaching about the origins and histories of the world religions in a classroom setting.

(2) What age group? Whatever age group kids these days begin social studies and history lessons as part of their regular curriculum.

(3) It cannot go from teaching information to indoctrination or teaching about anti-religion or in favour of any particular religion. That would be bias, and bias cannot be allowed in the classroom setting. It MUST remain neutral at all times.

(4) Well now, who said parents should not have a say in how their children are taught their religion? Teaching kids about their own religion is the responsibility of the parents to do in the privacy of their homes and in their families' places of worship. Isn't that what parents already do? However, what parents teach to their kids about their personal religions has nothing to do with children being taught a set curriculum at school about the histories of world religions in an unbiased, neutral setting in their social studies and history classes.

(5) I agree to a large degree with your statement that a child is not an adult to make his or her own decisions and I don't believe young children should be expected to make adult decisions. By the time children are teenagers they are expected to be capable of making numerous adult decisions. But who said anything about children making adult decisions? That has nothing to do with anything I have said so I won't address it since I don't believe it is relevant to school curriculums for children.

(6) I also agree that what can be taught and discussed in college classes of adults is far different, and of course it is much more advanced than what would be discussed in classes of impressionable young kids. That goes without saying and I think everybody already knows that, so again it's not something that needs to be addressed.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:07 AM

9,117 posts, read 6,165,173 times
I would think that any parent would want to know exactly what is being taught to their child. If there is any benefit from this terrible pandemic, it is that parents are more involved with what their child is being taught.

The "teacher" shows him own biases and prejudices in the article and his postings. His goal is to destabilize (his word) the parent/child relationship. In effect he is saying that the parents are wrong and the children should follow him instead. And he is especially worried that the parents will hear him "destabilize" their children. He prefers a closed door environment so only the children can hear his preachings. They are not HIS children, however and he should focus more on interesting the children in a lifelong love of reading.

Suspicion that schools teach leftish propaganda has now been replaced by fact.

Wouldn't every parent want to know what other adults are telling their children and how the children may be swayed?

Old 08-13-2020, 08:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I would be happy to discuss the topic with you but I need you to engage in good faith as well. If you are going to respond with short quips lacking content then I will do the same.

Anyway let me know if you think it would be worth either of our time to resume discussion. If not that is fine too, no one is obligated to care about anyone elses perspective.
The teacher's assumption that part of his job is to "destablilize a kid's racism and homophobia" is faulty.

If a teacher is concerned about what parents will see and hear in his classroom, it's a huge flaming red flag that his motivation is not objective and not guided by the students' best interests.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:01 AM

43,071 posts, read 18,237,901 times
If teachers stuck to ACADEMICS then none of them would need to worry about what parents heard.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:22 AM

9,851 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Biden is right, but he made a mistake in only mentioning Islamic religion. What he really should have said is that all schools should teach more about ALL religions. Teaching about religions is not the same thing as teaching the religions. Learning the basics about world religions is an important part of Social Studies and helps young people to become more successful as adults dealing with world societies. People who refuse to learn anything about at least the basics of all religions are ignorant people living in an isolated bubble.

Do they teach about religions in Canadian schools? I've never seen it done anywhere we've lived in the US. I took an elective in college about world religions, but not nothing like that was available in elementary/high school.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:34 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Do they teach about religions in Canadian schools? I've never seen it done anywhere we've lived in the US. I took an elective in college about world religions, but not nothing like that was available in elementary/high school.
Education is a provincial matter in Canada, so I can't speak for all provinces, but yes here in BC we do. In Grade 12 of Secondary School.

https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/curricu...orld-religions

Old 08-13-2020, 10:14 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Destabilize? He means Propagandize.

Now I really wish I had homeschooled. Yet another thing my mom warned me about that she was right about, dang it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching