Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 10:08 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobineesh View Post
Hi All,

I am a 40+ year old woman who is on her way to move to the US. Been a successful entrepreneur into education sector in another part of the world. Have worked in banking for 4+ years before my venture. We are planning a move to the US as a family. With the background into education sector, I feel my love for educating Kids, a teaching job will come naturally to me. Do you think its a good idea to start looking into that direction? Please state your reasons whether its Yes or No. 2 important factors for me to decide, money and work-life balance.

A teacher's license may not be required to be employed as a teacher. It depends on the city, the state, and if the school is a government public school.

In many areas, there are three main systems of schools.

The largest system is usually the government supported public schools. These provide education for children from K-12. Teaching positions in these schools almost always require a state license and follow state mandates.

There are also two other systems of education.

One is the private schools sponsored and supported by religious organizations. These have their own requirements for teachers.

There are also private schools not affiliated with a religious organization which may or may not adhere to the minimum requirements mandated by the state in which they provide services. A friend of mine taught in a private high school despite not having a teacher's license or any formal education courses. He was an engineer who taught high school mathematics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 07:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Every state is different when it comes to the requirements to become a teacher. In my state, a master's degree is required and there are 2 levels of certifications which must be completed. I would definitely read forums about education and teaching. Try to find some for the state you're moving to. Some states pay significantly better than others. That is something to consider.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:32 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Every state is different when it comes to the requirements to become a teacher. In my state, a master's degree is required and there are 2 levels of certifications which must be completed. I would definitely read forums about education and teaching. Try to find some for the state you're moving to. Some states pay significantly better than others. That is something to consider.
For my daughter's job at a private school, it's the same - a master's degree and two levels of certifications.

My daughter's master's program required teaching experience for admissions. It was a catch-22 situation. She had experience from teaching part-time at a local museum.

Most of her grad school classmates haven't found full times jobs and are substitute teachers. A friend's niece in Westchester, NY was a substitute teachers for years before finding a full time job.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:14 PM

206 posts, read 136,315 times
Unless you have a passion to teach, and can convey your subject matter to 'today's students' very effectively, I would pass on making a 'career' decision.

There is better paying jobs and easier ones too (that also have a good QoL / Worklife balance
Alternatively, consider a job on a teacher's schedule (in-school employee). Look to jobs at Jr Colleges (while they are still in business) some will be seasonal., or follow the academic yr.

Too bad that most easy / high paying jobs do not have the summer off, but it is very common these days to get unlimited vacation time or 'work-from-home' (or campervan). A friend is an online teacher for a state program. The state does not know (or care) where she lives (Good thing!).

Old 06-27-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
For my daughter's job at a private school, it's the same - a master's degree and two levels of certifications.

My daughter's master's program required teaching experience for admissions. It was a catch-22 situation. She had experience from teaching part-time at a local museum.

Most of her grad school classmates haven't found full times jobs and are substitute teachers. A friend's niece in Westchester, NY was a substitute teachers for years before finding a full time job.
From my teacher friends, the only way to get hired is to be a substitute. It's basically a job audition. If they don't like you much as a sub or if you have problems with students, staff, or faculty, then you'll ll never be hired. I know many people who got their bachelor's and master's degrees in education and couldn't get their second certification in time. There's I think a 5 year limit on how long they have after the first one to get the permanent one and they have to work so many hours. It's a convoluted process here. Some have even given up and went into other fields because they just couldn't survive on subbing for 3+ years.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:42 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Some have even given up and went into other fields because they just couldn't survive on subbing for 3+ years.
Who could? My friend's niece substituted almost a full time sub at a local school. Still the pay was so low, she lived at home with her parents. Others have a more chaotic experience. Subs get up every morning to wait for a call. Otherwise, it's another day without pay.

Both my kids have master's degrees. Both kids have similar benefits and pensions. As a teacher, my daughter makes half of what my son makes - and - my son is not in a high paying job.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:46 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
One cannot assume that a license won't be required in a private school. State requirements will vary. I taught at a private religious affiliated school. I had a license from my home state. I had 3 years to be licensed in the new state. It wasn't a school requirement. It was the state.

In addition to education component of licensing OP, many states now require one pass several tests as part of the requirement.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:27 PM

900 posts, read 685,652 times
I don't think it would be worth it for you, not in terms of money, life balance, or job satisfaction. You seem entrepreneurial, so I would capitalize on that.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:36 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobineesh View Post
Hi All,

I am a 40+ year old woman who is on her way to move to the US. Been a successful entrepreneur into education sector in another part of the world. Have worked in banking for 4+ years before my venture. We are planning a move to the US as a family. With the background into education sector, I feel my love for educating Kids, a teaching job will come naturally to me. Do you think its a good idea to start looking into that direction? Please state your reasons whether its Yes or No. 2 important factors for me to decide, money and work-life balance.
OP, do you have the legal right to move to the U.S.? (Sorry, this seems like such an obvious question, but we get lots of posts from people who seem to think they can just pack up and move here if they want to. Of course, we in the U.S. generally can't just pack up and move to another country if WE just want to, either! ) You wrote that you are "planning to move to the U.S. as a family" but didn't mention whether you actually CAN.

I am a professor at a college that graduates a LOT of people with teaching credentials. Most DO get jobs within a few years of graduation, but often they have to be willing to move, and many aren't willing to be far from their families. That's a problem, given the demographics of New England.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, do you have the legal right to move to the U.S.? (Sorry, this seems like such an obvious question, but we get lots of posts from people who seem to think they can just pack up and move here if they want to. Of course, we in the U.S. generally can't just pack up and move to another country if WE just want to, either! ) You wrote that you are "planning to move to the U.S. as a family" but didn't mention whether you actually CAN.

I am a professor at a college that graduates a LOT of people with teaching credentials. Most DO get jobs within a few years of graduation, but often they have to be willing to move, and many aren't willing to be far from their families. That's a problem, given the demographics of New England.
Even if someone has a legal right to move to the US, they don't have the legal right to work in the US. Education abroad isn't the same either so if someone has degrees from another country, they may not mean the same thing here. This happens to many professionals. I have sen many foreign doctors move to the US and have to go through additional schooling because they are not qualified to be doctors in the US. This is just 1 example of a profession in which a foreign education does not move with them. This is always something to look into when considering relocation. Also finding out if you're eligible to work is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching