Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 01:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
I suggest you first "substitute teach." I use the quotation marks because it usually isn't really teaching. You babysit the students while they work on an assignment that their regular teacher left for them to work on. That way, you can see what American students act like, see how much of a culture shock it would be, and so on. You can chat up teachers in the lunch room or whatever, getting a feel for whether it would work for you or not. Some schools might be easy while others in the same district are pretty rough. The job doesn't pay well...

...but it doesn't require a teaching certificate, either. So with minimal investment you can investigate. I think all you need in most places is a high school diploma. They pay a little better if you have a college degree, and maybe a little more if you have a teaching certificate. I make $100 US for a day, and there are no benefits but I'm sort of retired anyway.

Back in 1999 I remember my school district was so hard up for teachers that they began to offer alternative certification. In your case, they might say, "You've been a banker, and that has a lot to do with math, plus economics, statistics, maybe some other fields. We need someone to teach algebra, someone to teach statistics, and we have an AP Economics opening but you can't qualify for that yet." Maybe you say you'll teach algebra.

They then give you a crash course in how to plan lessons, how to set up rules for your class, talk to you about record keeping, privacy laws, bloodborne pathogens training, and all the other nuts and bolts of being a teacher. On day 1, you're teaching, maybe with a master teacher to report to.

The other part of the plan is that you enroll to take a course per semester in the evenings at a local college. As long as you're passing your class, you chip away at the requirements until maybe five years later, you're a bona fide teacher with certificate. If I recall correctly while you're on this path, you're paid like any other teacher for your degree and years of experience. I imagine for some the process is a real baptism in fire but maybe you're a natural and would handle it easily.
All of this varies by state. In my state, you must have a bachelor's degree to be a sub. If you're not in an education program working on your certifications then you can only sub 40 days a year. This whole you were a banker so you can teach math thing doesn't exist in my state. There are no crash courses. There are required degrees and certifications in many states. There's fingerprinting and various background checks as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 03:17 PM

899 posts, read 671,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
All of this varies by state. In my state, you must have a bachelor's degree to be a sub. If you're not in an education program working on your certifications then you can only sub 40 days a year. This whole you were a banker so you can teach math thing doesn't exist in my state. There are no crash courses. There are required degrees and certifications in many states. There's fingerprinting and various background checks as well.
True, on second thought everything will go by state. About half don't require much. Quoting:

No Credentials
There many states that don’t require certification or college courses. Instead, these states require individuals to have their high school diploma or GED. They also run background checks. Other than that, they don’t require much more. Why? Because many of these states struggle to find substitute teachers. Of course, you may be able to make more money if you have your bachelor’s degree and teaching certificate. These states include:

Arizona
Arkansas
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Mississippi
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin

https://magoosh.com/praxis/states-re...ification/?amp

Old 10-06-2022, 09:03 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,674,170 times
OP, have you ever done any equestrian events? Trained large powerful dogs? Been a drill instructor?

You will be expected to quell and keep under control a group of kids who are just itching for a chance to run you off and take over the classroom. You will be discouraged from sending troublemakers to the office for discipline. If you do it very many times, it'll show on your performance review. And they just turn them around and send them back to you, anyway.

If you fantasize about teaching in high school, are you large and powerful enough to keep from getting stuffed into a locker?

Have you ever worked in a large dysfunctional bureaucracy, and were you able to learn how to manage under the radar to get things done despite every aspect of the organization being set up to thwart you?

Are you comfortable doing reams and reams of paperwork using buggy software and out of date computer hardware and having to do everything three or four times in quadruplicate? Are you prepared to have to buy and bring your own copy machine toner and toilet paper, while every semester brings three dozen enormous boxes of "curriculum accessories" that you have to find space for, but will never use?

It's not a bunch of sweet little kids sitting quietly and raising their hands. You can expect every classroom to have one drooler, one screamer, one fighter at least.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:41 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,421,163 times
Start with what states you are interested in..if you wouldn't buy a house there...because of crazy taxes..that would eliminate most of the Northeast.
in Wyoming, students/coaches travel far and leave early for games..that gets me a few 2 hours 8 minute plus jobs per week at 75. Good for semi retirement, but an economic crisis for most.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:36 PM

13,717 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Good teachers put in a LOT of time prepping for class, preparing materials, preparing exams, and then grading papers and correcting exams. It takes 12 -16 hours per day to be really good at it.

Teachers who just collect a paycheck don't do much prep, don't take any work home, use exams and assignments from the back of the book, and generally don't give a hoot about the profession.

Which do you want to be?

And yes, have to have the education background/courses plus certification to teach in many schools in America. Pay is generally poor for the hours you invest, but it is not about pay for good teachers: it is about being a good teacher and fostering good students.

*I never put close to 12-16 per day but I did make sure I was comfortable with the curriculum and had a battle plan come day one. The better prepared I was before the start of the semester the easier the next 14-15 weeks would be.

And if something wasn't working I was quick to make a change. This was important.

It wasn't until after the start of the semester that I could properly gage the level of a class. The course outline I was given might say one thing but the reality was often quite different.

*Wasn't teaching in the States

Old 11-27-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
You will need to be certified to teach. So plan for extra time before you actually start working.

At one time I also considered switching to being a teacher (from engineering) but abandoned the idea after learning about the salary and working conditions. You may luck out and find a good spot but be aware that in the US, the teaching profession is not looked up to, unlike in some other parts of the world.
Good point. A teacher is often highly regarded in Japan. It's unlikely you'll get rich teaching in Japan but you are a... teacher and there's status in the profession.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
OP, have you ever done any equestrian events? Trained large powerful dogs? Been a drill instructor?

You will be expected to quell and keep under control a group of kids who are just itching for a chance to run you off and take over the classroom. You will be discouraged from sending troublemakers to the office for discipline. If you do it very many times, it'll show on your performance review. And they just turn them around and send them back to you, anyway.

If you fantasize about teaching in high school, are you large and powerful enough to keep from getting stuffed into a locker?

Have you ever worked in a large dysfunctional bureaucracy, and were you able to learn how to manage under the radar to get things done despite every aspect of the organization being set up to thwart you?

Are you comfortable doing reams and reams of paperwork using buggy software and out of date computer hardware and having to do everything three or four times in quadruplicate? Are you prepared to have to buy and bring your own copy machine toner and toilet paper, while every semester brings three dozen enormous boxes of "curriculum accessories" that you have to find space for, but will never use?

It's not a bunch of sweet little kids sitting quietly and raising their hands. You can expect every classroom to have one drooler, one screamer, one fighter at least.

Either you learn to handle problems in the classroom yourself... or the school will find someone who can.

Rule #1. My job is to keep my job.

Rule #2. There are no bad students. Only bad teachers.

Being able to manage problem students is important. However, equally as important is one's ability to deal with the school administration. And the last thing they want to hear are complaints about students. Pis.s off the administration office or a department head and you may find your classes cut or if teaching full-time.. out of a job. Which brings us back to Rule #1: My job is to keep my job.

Last edited by john3232; 11-27-2022 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching