Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 07:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I don't think it can be emphasized enough that pay and qualifications vary widely across the country and even the states, but it's not that hard to find out what's required in the area you are intending to move to, just search for state teaching credentials in whatever state. Here's Ohio: https://www.teachercertificationdegr...fication/ohio/ And here are the salaries: https://ohea.org/resources/professio...er-salaries-2/

I was talking to a cousin last week who mentioned that his wife had a final salary of something like $42,000 after teaching for 20 years in Missouri. In my school district in Pennsylvania, the beginning salary for a new teacher with little experience and just a bachelors degree is $48,000 and that doesn't include the very good benefits like health care and pension.
The highest paid teacher at the school district I reside in makes close to $150K. The recently hired principal at his school makes about half that. He taught my daughter for kindergarten. No wonder he hasn't retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 08:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I don't think it can be emphasized enough that pay and qualifications vary widely across the country and even the states, but it's not that hard to find out what's required in the area you are intending to move to, just search for state teaching credentials in whatever state. Here's Ohio: https://www.teachercertificationdegr...fication/ohio/ And here are the salaries: https://ohea.org/resources/professio...er-salaries-2/

I was talking to a cousin last week who mentioned that his wife had a final salary of something like $42,000 after teaching for 20 years in Missouri. In my school district in Pennsylvania, the beginning salary for a new teacher with little experience and just a bachelors degree is $48,000 and that doesn't include the very good benefits like health care and pension.
I would definitely look into the benefits. Some states no longer have pensions for teachers or lifetime healthcare. This changed several years ago in my state. Teachers now have a 401K like everyone else. They don't have free health insurance anymore and have to pay a percentage of the cost. No more lifetime healthcare insurance either. Locally districts are paying upper $40s to low $50s for new teachers. They require a master's degree and both certifications as well. They wonder why they can't find teachers. Who wants to get 2 degrees including a master's degree to be paid $50K a year? Not to mention the politics and abuse teachers put up with.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:35 AM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I would definitely look into the benefits. Some states no longer have pensions for teachers or lifetime healthcare. This changed several years ago in my state. Teachers now have a 401K like everyone else. They don't have free health insurance anymore and have to pay a percentage of the cost. No more lifetime healthcare insurance either. Locally districts are paying upper $40s to low $50s for new teachers. They require a master's degree and both certifications as well. They wonder why they can't find teachers. Who wants to get 2 degrees including a master's degree to be paid $50K a year? Not to mention the politics and abuse teachers put up with.
Are you sure they ever had 'free health insurance'? I never had 'free health insurance' when I was working or retired.

I have an excellent retirement health insurance through my school system...but it's not free. Far from it. But less than the average guy would pay.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:07 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Are you sure they ever had 'free health insurance'? I never had 'free health insurance' when I was working or retired.

I have an excellent retirement health insurance through my school system...but it's not free. Far from it. But less than the average guy would pay.
In Mississippi, the state pays for the teacher's health insurance, not the family's, and we still have a pension system. They are two of the rare perks for teachers in a state with nearly the lowest salaries in the country. I retired after 36 years making little more than new hirees do in many states. My pension is very small and the retirees' health insurance for me and my spouse is 1200K+.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:32 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:

Yes teachers in my state used to have free health insurance back in the day. Every state is different in their benefits package. My state has numerous benefits packages based on start dates. They keep changing the offerings and making the teachers pay more.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:38 AM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Yes teachers in my state used to have free health insurance back in the day. Every state is different in their benefits package. My state has numerous benefits packages based on start dates. They keep changing the offerings and making the teachers pay more.
I agree. I asked that because there is an assumption out there among the general public that teachers get free health insurance (perhaps some do), free life insurance (I do), and a 'free retirement system'. What many (maybe even most) don't understand is that -- at least in my two states -- I paid into the retirement package every single month for 33 years, and I paid and continue to pay (in retirement) into the health insurance every single month.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:49 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Quote:
I agree. I asked that because there is an assumption out there among the general public that teachers get free health insurance (perhaps some do), free life insurance (I do), and a 'free retirement system'. What many (maybe even most) don't understand is that -- at least in my two states -- I paid into the retirement package every single month for 33 years, and I paid and continue to pay (in retirement) into the health insurance every single month.

My Florida district does not have free insurance, although it is pretty cheap. There is no 'free' pension in Florida, either. You must pay 3% of your salary into the pot. Florida teachers in my county start at 47K.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:55 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
And this is why teachers unions are instrumental in negotiating what their members want/need. At the district I work at here in So Cal, we get a fringe benefit separate from our salary which is intended expressly for, and is enough to cover medical, dental, and vision, and the district also covers life insurance.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:30 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
My Florida district does not have free insurance, although it is pretty cheap. There is no 'free' pension in Florida, either. You must pay 3% of your salary into the pot. Florida teachers in my county start at 47K.
How cheap is "pretty cheap"?

Old 09-28-2022, 01:37 PM

899 posts, read 671,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobineesh View Post
Hi All,

I am a 40+ year old woman who is on her way to move to the US. Been a successful entrepreneur into education sector in another part of the world. Have worked in banking for 4+ years before my venture. We are planning a move to the US as a family. With the background into education sector, I feel my love for educating Kids, a teaching job will come naturally to me. Do you think its a good idea to start looking into that direction? Please state your reasons whether its Yes or No. 2 important factors for me to decide, money and work-life balance.
I suggest you first "substitute teach." I use the quotation marks because it usually isn't really teaching. You babysit the students while they work on an assignment that their regular teacher left for them to work on. That way, you can see what American students act like, see how much of a culture shock it would be, and so on. You can chat up teachers in the lunch room or whatever, getting a feel for whether it would work for you or not. Some schools might be easy while others in the same district are pretty rough. The job doesn't pay well...

...but it doesn't require a teaching certificate, either. So with minimal investment you can investigate. I think all you need in most places is a high school diploma. They pay a little better if you have a college degree, and maybe a little more if you have a teaching certificate. I make $100 US for a day, and there are no benefits but I'm sort of retired anyway.

Back in 1999 I remember my school district was so hard up for teachers that they began to offer alternative certification. In your case, they might say, "You've been a banker, and that has a lot to do with math, plus economics, statistics, maybe some other fields. We need someone to teach algebra, someone to teach statistics, and we have an AP Economics opening but you can't qualify for that yet." Maybe you say you'll teach algebra.

They then give you a crash course in how to plan lessons, how to set up rules for your class, talk to you about record keeping, privacy laws, bloodborne pathogens training, and all the other nuts and bolts of being a teacher. On day 1, you're teaching, maybe with a master teacher to report to.

The other part of the plan is that you enroll to take a course per semester in the evenings at a local college. As long as you're passing your class, you chip away at the requirements until maybe five years later, you're a bona fide teacher with certificate. If I recall correctly while you're on this path, you're paid like any other teacher for your degree and years of experience. I imagine for some the process is a real baptism in fire but maybe you're a natural and would handle it easily.

As another thought, have you considered community colleges? They typically require a master's level and don't require a teaching cert. I hear it's a different can of worms. They pay well but if people don't sign up for your class, you don't get paid. I remember hearing that one guy's budget depended on him teaching four courses and when only three filled, he was scrambling to pay his bills.

I think private schools can do pretty much what they want, and that can cut both ways. I taught with a man whose wife worked in private school. She got good reviews, students liked her, etc. Then one day her principal called her in and said they had to let her go. Reason: the parents wanted a winning football team, and they pressured him to find a coach. The principal found the coach, and he taught the same subject as my colleague's wife. They couldn't afford two teachers for that topic, so she and her years of experience were unceremoniously dumped, without recourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching