Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 09:40 AM

50,988 posts, read 24,484,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Number 1 reason parents are opposed is that more people today don't like being told what to do. 2. We now have parents who grew up with phones and if they aren't able to reach others by phone they feel helpless. Like they would be able to talk their kid through a mass shooting via phone....puhlease. But mostly, it is, " I tell my kid what to do. How dare you try!" Sad really.
And it isn't just schools. I have senior friends who simply can't exist without their smart phone on them at all times, and who interrupt any conversation or meal to take calls. What would they do if they grew up with a party line like we had in the 1950s and into the 1960s? It's become an obsession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 08:55 PM

12,885 posts, read 9,118,964 times
It's really quite simple.

Trust. We do not trust school officials to do the right thing in the event of an emergency. It's already happened that in a SHTF scenario the only communication in and out of a school is through those who brought their cell phones in.

Trust. Too many videos have already surfaced of teachers out of line. Cell phone videos and online school during COVID have given parents a view into the classroom.

Trust. School systems have lost the trust of the parents. And seem to be trying hard to drive the wedge even further.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:21 AM

17,657 posts, read 17,782,381 times
Safety can involve school shooting or hit by a tornado or earthquake. Another safety issue is medical. Some devices connect to smart phones for alerts to the wearer’s condition. These can include heart and blood sugar. Sadly such useful tools as smart phones are also used for cheating and bullying.

These issues should be addressed on a case by case basis instead of a one size fits all rule.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Safety can involve school shooting or hit by a tornado or earthquake. Another safety issue is medical. Some devices connect to smart phones for alerts to the wearer’s condition. These can include heart and blood sugar. Sadly such useful tools as smart phones are also used for cheating and bullying.

These issues should be addressed on a case by case basis instead of a one size fits all rule.
They're not needed during school hours and in some cases may be problematic in some emergencies.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:24 PM

17,657 posts, read 17,782,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
They're not needed during school hours and in some cases may be problematic in some emergencies.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6539461/

It’s a long read but there are medical conditions that can be monitored and provide alerts via smart phones and wearable or implanted devices. Some can even help to monitor blood sugar. I wear hearing aids that connect to my smart phone. Though I can increase or decrease the volume without the phone, the phone offers additional features that would make paying attention in class easier such as background noise reduction, directional sound focus, and other settings. A student with a known heart issue could use the Apple Watch and phone to notify of an irregular heart rhythm. It would be to the benefit of a school system to use wearable heart monitors for student athletes during practice and games. Students with special medical conditions should at least have the option to appeal to the school for their child to have his or her smart phone on his or her person for medical reasons with proof of condition and benefits of the technology to the health of the student.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:30 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,029,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I was caught in a school lockdown once, while there on a library-related visit (representing the public library). And the first thing they said was NO PHONES!!! Everyone had to put them away, because any clicking/tapping/light/etc could actually attract a shooter to where you're hiding.

FYI: The lockdown turned out to be due to an armed robbery in the neighborhood, and they just wanted to be cautious in case they ran through school grounds. 2/3 of the robbers were later caught and charged, not sure about the third. But we didn't know all of this until after the fact, so it was a very scary experience for all of us.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:14 PM

1,157 posts, read 635,466 times
Lol @ all the ridiculous excuses for safety, and trust? WTF are you kidding?

Schools did fine since the beginning of proper edumacation without cell phones, stop making up low end excuses for "your" kid's right to their devices.

It's infuriating enough to see everyone everywhere ignoring their surroundings and staring down at their phones, how the heck can you expect a person to learn in class with them available?

Stop making up excuses and realize that the policy is for the best of your child to learn... THAT is why they're there. And to deny that the device isn't a huge distraction is just folly.

If I was a teacher, principal, administrator I would insist of ALL cell phones locked in the lockers and never ever allowed in any classrooms.

Stop pandering to entitlement. Start learning.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:55 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,717,297 times
In America we take away students' phones and encourage our teachers to carry guns in the classroom.

I like our school's policy; cell phones are allowed, but must be turned off during class time. A teacher has to give permission for students to use them. Some teachers allow/encourage their use and some do not. In an emergency, teachers are able to instruct students if and when they should turn on and use their phones.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6539461/

It’s a long read but there are medical conditions that can be monitored and provide alerts via smart phones and wearable or implanted devices. Some can even help to monitor blood sugar. I wear hearing aids that connect to my smart phone. Though I can increase or decrease the volume without the phone, the phone offers additional features that would make paying attention in class easier such as background noise reduction, directional sound focus, and other settings. A student with a known heart issue could use the Apple Watch and phone to notify of an irregular heart rhythm. It would be to the benefit of a school system to use wearable heart monitors for student athletes during practice and games. Students with special medical conditions should at least have the option to appeal to the school for their child to have his or her smart phone on his or her person for medical reasons with proof of condition and benefits of the technology to the health of the student.
Get real.

How many students out of a thousand have that kind of heart issue? Remember you're talking to a former teacher and principal (33 years combined). And for the very few students that would apply to...and it's very, very, very few...exceptions could be made.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
In America we take away students' phones and encourage our teachers to carry guns in the classroom.

I like our school's policy; cell phones are allowed, but must be turned off during class time. A teacher has to give permission for students to use them. Some teachers allow/encourage their use and some do not. In an emergency, teachers are able to instruct students if and when they should turn on and use their phones.
No, "we" don't encourage teachers to carry guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching