Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 09:03 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times

Advertisements

I recently saw a news article on Facebook that did a story on a school district that was going to require all students to put their cell phones in some sort of security bag that was locked during the entire school day. At the end of the day, students can scan the bag and the lock is released. It seems like a great idea to me.

There were a few positive comments but most of the comments were negative and were from parents saying things like "my child WILL have access to his/her phone during the school day because it's a safety issue".

I'm no longer in the teaching field but it's sad to see so many parents against cell phones in schools. They were one of the main causes of distractions, behavior issues, and even cheating in my classroom.

Why are parents so against the idea of students not having cell phone access during the school day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 09:36 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I recently saw a news article on Facebook that did a story on a school district that was going to require all students to put their cell phones in some sort of security bag that was locked during the entire school day. At the end of the day, students can scan the bag and the lock is released. It seems like a great idea to me.

There were a few positive comments but most of the comments were negative and were from parents saying things like "my child WILL have access to his/her phone during the school day because it's a safety issue".

I'm no longer in the teaching field but it's sad to see so many parents against cell phones in schools. They were one of the main causes of distractions, behavior issues, and even cheating in my classroom.

Why are parents so against the idea of students not having cell phone access during the school day?
"...it's a safety issue". Whatever happened to using the school's office phone in case of emergency, either calling a message in to the child through the office, or the school notifying a parent of illness or accident on the child's part? Or do the parents want them to have cell phones in case they get assaulted on the school bus, or as they make their way to or from school on their own? If that's what the pressing need is about, there should be no objection to the kids keeping their phone in their lockers during school.

Or is this about "just in case" a mass shooting should take place at the school? I'm trying to understand what the "safety issue" could be, that would lead parents to insist their kids have a cell phone at their desks at all times.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-27-2022 at 09:51 AM..

Old 07-27-2022, 10:38 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I know a first grade teacher here that said all the kids had cell phones, and it was causing major disruptions in her class.

It's hard to imagine....but then again the little boy next door came running up to greet me, and he had an I-phone in his hand that had a picture of pickachu on it (He was like 4 at the time.)

Old 07-27-2022, 11:10 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Correlation: don't text and drive.

Most adults are setting the example.

The apparatus in question is a distraction for the instructor.

Turn it off. Or leave it in the lock box's that are now in each wing of the schools hallways.

If a parent is supporting the child's use of this device during education time then it's more about favoring the adult antics . The parents somehow got in the driver's seat without being qualified when it comes to the education system. The parents who DO support cell usage during educational or study time are misguided on what the school system is aiming to accomplish. Less distraction.
Even during computer lessons there is a instructor overseeing the course. Kids desire guidance in learning in structure classes. ( Elementary level anyways).

My area school system had this drop system in place back in 2016. So far there hasn't been any upheaval from the parents. Most parents support the system of keeping students on task in courses.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:24 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
I retired as a principal, and we were going through this 14+ years ago, and I imagine it's only gotten worse.

Even I didn't agree with the original rule that kids couldn't have a cell phone on the way to or from school. I think safety issues on the way to and from school are a possibility, particularly for walkers, but even for kids riding a school bus.

But in school during classes. No. Not buying it. They'll just have to sacrifice their lives. What a joke.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:32 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I know a first grade teacher here that said all the kids had cell phones, and it was causing major disruptions in her class.

It's hard to imagine....but then again the little boy next door came running up to greet me, and he had an I-phone in his hand that had a picture of pickachu on it (He was like 4 at the time.)
How many of the phones owned by 5, 6, 7, 8-year-olds get lost and have to be replaced chronically? How did parents cope with their own worries, back before there was such a thing as an electronic leash for their kids?

Old 07-27-2022, 01:31 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
What's even more frustrating about this is a lot of the times, the kids sending text messages during the day are sending texts to the parents. I once took away a phone from a student who was texting and when I asked who he was talking to, he said his mom.

The school I taught at had a no cell phone during school hours unless it's between classes in the hallway rule, but they also said that teachers weren't allowed to confiscate phones for liability reasons. So what a lot of teachers did is just sent the student to the office with the cell phone and have administration deal with it. 9 times out of 10, the student returned to my classroom without the phone.

It's a shame that administration can't grow a backbone and tell parents that if they don't like the rules, they should either become a teacher themselves or send their kids to a private school.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:29 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
The schools should construct Faraday cages around each classroom.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:10 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
Number 1 reason parents are opposed is that more people today don't like being told what to do. 2. We now have parents who grew up with phones and if they aren't able to reach others by phone they feel helpless. Like they would be able to talk their kid through a mass shooting via phone....puhlease. But mostly, it is, " I tell my kid what to do. How dare you try!" Sad really.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:15 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,098,227 times
Because the parents can’t regulate their own child’s phone usage, and they fear the repercussions of a school attempting to do exactly that. If the school is successful and the kids thrive, it shows the parents are spineless. If the school isn’t successful and the kids go full on Lord of the Flies, it shows the parents that the game is already over and their kids are hopelessly addicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching