Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 03:10 PM

17,665 posts, read 17,822,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Get real.

How many students out of a thousand have that kind of heart issue? Remember you're talking to a former teacher and principal (33 years combined). And for the very few students that would apply to...and it's very, very, very few...exceptions could be made.
And yet far too many schools are taking an all or nothing approach. You say exceptions “could” be made but the tone of your reply says most likely it would be denied even with valid medical needs. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...without-nurse/
At one time students with special medical needs were allowed to keep on their person the medication they needed to stay alive. With the all of nothing approach many schools keep such medication locked up where the student cannot access thus putting their lives in danger. The above story and your tone shows me such exceptions would NOT be made unless the administration had an open mind to such exceptions.

Here is another example
https://www.boston25news.com/news/sc...te/1002540792/
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/20...asthma-attack/

Here’s another example

Last edited by victimofGM; 08-02-2022 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 04:55 PM

51,055 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
And yet far too many schools are taking an all or nothing approach. You say exceptions “could” be made but the tone of your reply says most likely it would be denied even with valid medical needs. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...without-nurse/
At one time students with special medical needs were allowed to keep on their person the medication they needed to stay alive. With the all of nothing approach many schools keep such medication locked up where the student cannot access thus putting their lives in danger. The above story and your tone shows me such exceptions would NOT be made unless the administration had an open mind to such exceptions.

Here is another example
https://www.boston25news.com/news/sc...te/1002540792/
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/20...asthma-attack/

Here’s another example
The tone of my reply. There was no tone.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:15 PM

17,665 posts, read 17,822,415 times
Quote:
The tone of my reply. There was no tone.
Try re-reading your post.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Try re-reading your post.
No tone.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:35 AM

11,161 posts, read 10,744,675 times
Quote:
No tone.
When you start your statement with the words “get real,” there’s a tone.

As for the students with cell phone issue, as the father of teenagers I’m opposed to any form of “gather all the cell phones and lock them up” strategy. We are supposed to be teaching our children to perform in a socially acceptable manner and become functional adults. You don’t do that by taking away their personal possessions over a few who can’t follow the rules. Punish the students who use their phone at inappropriate times, not the students who keep their phone in their pocket during class time.

Out of what I consider to be sheer laziness, school administrators tend to lean toward a one size fits all rule on disciplinary measures. Yet, in the real world, there is no basis for such measures. I’ve spent over a decade at this point arguing with teachers and administrators over rules that were idiotic, such as zero tolerance for fighting rules that punish the victims of bullying who stand up for themselves after the “adults” refuse to address the issue. Locking up cell phones is just more of the same idiocy.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:43 AM

2,887 posts, read 1,160,578 times
Parents model behaviors and habits for their kids. In many instances, they themselves cannot put the gadget down for one minute. Addiction? Narcissism? Both?
It's beyond the point of absurdity.
The phones are a distraction in the classroom. They have no place there.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:25 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,718,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

As for the students with cell phone issue, as the father of teenagers I’m opposed to any form of “gather all the cell phones and lock them up” strategy. We are supposed to be teaching our children to perform in a socially acceptable manner and become functional adults. You don’t do that by taking away their personal possessions over a few who can’t follow the rules. Punish the students who use their phone at inappropriate times, not the students who keep their phone in their pocket during class time.

Out of what I consider to be sheer laziness, school administrators tend to lean toward a one size fits all rule on disciplinary measures. Yet, in the real world, there is no basis for such measures. I’ve spent over a decade at this point arguing with teachers and administrators over rules that were idiotic, such as zero tolerance for fighting rules that punish the victims of bullying who stand up for themselves after the “adults” refuse to address the issue. Locking up cell phones is just more of the same idiocy.
In the real world, many employers do not allow people to use phones at the worksite. This is no different than the real world. The issue is typically that the problem is too widespread for teachers to have time to effectively manage it. Kids are taking out their phones right and left and teachers trying to stop it are often going to be forced to spend much of the class trying to manage inappropriate cell phone use. Most of my friends who have kids with phones tell me their kids are primarily texting them throughout the day with stupid requests like “I forgot my lunch” “pick me up” or “I forgot my homework” that are usually ignored anyway because the parents are working and don’t have enough leave time to be able to spend an hour driving home to pick up whatever the kid is missing and then take it to the school. If a kid is really sick, then the school will call home anyway or allow the kid to access the phone from the locker to call home.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:01 AM

11,161 posts, read 10,744,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
In the real world, many employers do not allow people to use phones at the worksite. This is no different than the real world. The issue is typically that the problem is too widespread for teachers to have time to effectively manage it. Kids are taking out their phones right and left and teachers trying to stop it are often going to be forced to spend much of the class trying to manage inappropriate cell phone use. Most of my friends who have kids with phones tell me their kids are primarily texting them throughout the day with stupid requests like “I forgot my lunch” “pick me up” or “I forgot my homework” that are usually ignored anyway because the parents are working and don’t have enough leave time to be able to spend an hour driving home to pick up whatever the kid is missing and then take it to the school. If a kid is really sick, then the school will call home anyway or allow the kid to access the phone from the locker to call home.
Sounds like your friends need to explain the rules of having a cell phone to their children, not like teachers need to be authoritarian and lock up the phones of all the students because your friends can't control their own kids.

And while many employers don't allow phones, the vast majority simply expect you to use the cell phone responsibly. That's the real world, and responsible use of technology is part of what children need to learn in order to live in it.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

How many experiences have you had where you are supervising 150 kids per day (if you're a teacher), or 1,300 kids per day if you're administrator?

How many?

Old 08-07-2022, 09:07 AM

20,132 posts, read 16,220,030 times
Quote:
How many experiences have you had where you are supervising 150 kids per day (if you're a teacher), or 1,300 kids per day if you're administrator?

How many?
This is always the problem when talking to non-educators about student behavior management - they are talking from the viewpoint of interacting with 1-4 kids raised with their values and the educator is talking about managing the behavior of 25-1,500+ kids raised with all kinds of values, some of which are truly screwy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching