Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,248,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
and you don't think sports is putting your tax dollars to good use? do you seriously not know that some kids only come to school and stay in school because of sports? i teach a lot of kids that only try to pass their classes so they can play sports. so if some sports cannot support themselves you say throw them out....and then those kids have no reason to work hard in class, which leads to them dropping out. and you are saying that putting YOUR tax dollars to sports is not putting it to good use? how much of YOUR tax dollars goes to public schools anyways? do you think all of it does? i seriously hope not. wow. so, to answer your question...yes i do have an issue with that. it makes no sense at all.
If sports is all that is keeping them in school maybe they shouldn't be there. Free up the classroom for someone that wants to be there.
And sports benefit very few students, for what it cost. The money could be better spent buying them the best computers and software. Let the NFL, NBA and Baseball pay for their future players training .

Did you know that very few college sports players ever get their diploma from college. A few years ago a college coach was asked why not one senior on the football team recieved their diploma and his answer was, "SO WHAT".

If you live in Texas you know we pay school taxes thru property taxes, I own three houses and pay school taxes on all three in different school districts. So I'd say I pay my fair share. And my children went to public schools and on to college. One is an RN and the other owns his own business. And they didn't need football to keep them in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 11:23 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,874,275 times
Quote:
that is the point i made with him about sports....but...he has not responded to it because he can't come up with an argument against it. good point.
I wish people could live a month in the shoes of a teacher and realize how hard it actually is.... some people are too closeminded I guess to put themselves in another's shoes and realize things aren't always "Peachy Keen" in TEACHER LAND As a CERTIFIED NYS K-12 ART/READING Teacher (have my masters and can teach both) I find some of these comments absolutely obnoxious....

Old 07-23-2008, 11:25 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,874,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

If you live in Texas you know we pay school taxes thru property taxes, I own three houses and pay school taxes on all three in different school districts. So I'd say I pay my fair share. And my children went to public schools and on to college. One is an RN and the other owns his own business. And they didn't need football to keep them in school.
Maybe its time to sell a house...

Most EVERYONE pays school taxes based on their property taxes... it isn't just YOU... but ALL of your taxes do not go to the Institution of EDUCATION or the TEACHER's PAYCHECKS! And because YOUR kids didn't play sports others need to be deprived of the experience?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:28 AM

870 posts, read 1,627,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
If sports is all that is keeping them in school maybe they shouldn't be there. Free up the classroom for someone that wants to be there.
And sports benefit very few students, for what it cost. The money could be better spent buying them the best computers and software. Let the NFL, NBA and Baseball pay for their future players training .

Did you know that very few college sports players ever get their diploma from college. A few years ago a college coach was asked why not one senior on the football team recieved their diploma and his answer was, "SO WHAT".

ok...you are right. forget about those kids that only come to school and work hard in class just to play sports. they should just drop out i guess. let's just let them do that....and then crime can increase because they will be on the streets joining gangs and the whole problem will be solved won't it?

you pay taxes on 3 houses? do you live in all 3 or rent two of them out? if you rent 2 of them i bet you figure in your taxes on the amount of rent you charge which results in your tenants paying the taxes for you.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:29 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,163,197 times
I could see an argument for some kinds of teachers being paid more than other kinds of teachers.

Obviously, all teachers are responsible (or should be) for developing lesson plans, planning activities, dealing with parents, and evaluating students' progress. That said, though, beyond those core responsibilities common to all teachers, some teachers have greater duties or obligations that take more time than the duties or obligations of others.

For example, if I were a P.E. teacher, I would have very little written homework to grade, if any. Most of my evaluation of my students' progress comes during class when I evaluate whether or not X student has mastered dribbling for our basketball unit, for example. I may have a midterm and final exam or some interim exams, but very often those are scan-tron tests requiring little time to grade.

OTOH, let's say I were an English teacher for A.P. I also give interim, midterm, and final exams, but most English teachers are required to give essay questions, which means that the time spent upon evaluation of my students' progress will take a substantially greater amount of time than it would if I were teaching phys. education. Additionally, I am required by the College Board to teach how to write a research paper. If the average research paper takes five minutes to read and three to evaluate, and each of my 120 students is an AP student, it takes 960 minutes (16 hours) to grade my students' papers -- 16 hours that I either do during school hours or do for free, because teachers don't have "billable hours" for the extra work they do grading papers.

Obviously, you can have a slacker English teacher who assigns no written work and a dedicated PE teacher who assigns a great deal of it. However, they are exceptions, not the rule. The nature of the job itself tends to include more work for English teachers and less work for PE teachers once the common core of their duties as generic "teachers" is accounted for.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Maybe its time to sell a house...

Most EVERYONE pays school taxes based on their property taxes... it isn't just YOU... but ALL of your taxes do not go to the Institution of EDUCATION or the TEACHER's PAYCHECKS! And because YOUR kids didn't play sports others need to be deprived of the experience?
The taxes I paid marked "school taxes" on my tax bills go to support public schools. I don't think there is any need for me to sell a house. I don't need the money right now.

And where did I ever say I was the only one to pay school taxes thru my property taxes?

Do you even bother to read everything you respond to before you stroke your key board ?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,879 times
Quote:
Perhaps, but the AVERAGE JOE works 9-5... teachers do not... teachers begin their workday at LEAST a half an hour prior to first bell, can't leave for lunch, have to pee at a specific three minute break between class, are required to stay until the end of the after school period- where the kids stay to get help after school... usually 45 minutes after last bell... THEN they can do their OWN work and hopefully get out by 5:00- since I was IN school by 6:30 AM to get to the copier first and make sure I was prepped for my first class and I would leave at 5:00.. that is 10.5 hours I am AT work... then I had lesson plans to create/ papers to correct and I would usually set aside 2 hours to do that at night... so that would make my AVERAGE work day 12.5 hours- now, if there was a dance on the weekends or sporting event I could add another three hours a week (there is usually something so I will just calculate it like this.. (12.5x5)+3=65.5... that is on the light side actually since working on weekends is not unusual.....what job do you know of where you work like that and get paid $30-$40K, don't have eye or dental insurance, and have to pay for a MASTERS to work for that pay?
But the average Joe doesn't get an 8 week break to look forward to in the summer time, or two weeks around every Christmas, and a week in late winter and a week in the spring and a lot of three day weekends. I'd gladly work more hours for 195 days a year in order to have a big two month vacation every summer. And the average Joe doesn't work in a job that they feel called to or that they have a passion for.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
ok...you are right. forget about those kids that only come to school and work hard in class just to play sports. they should just drop out i guess. let's just let them do that....and then crime can increase because they will be on the streets joining gangs and the whole problem will be solved won't it?

you pay taxes on 3 houses? do you live in all 3 or rent two of them out? if you rent 2 of them i bet you figure in your taxes on the amount of rent you charge which results in your tenants paying the taxes for you.
I can tell you don't know much about owning property, do you? No I don't live in all three at the same time, and I don't rent them out...Have you ever heard of lake homes and vacation homes ?
Most likely if they are going to join a gang, being in school will not stop them.

You know, millions of kids go to school in this country everyday and work hard to try to make good grades without having to be bribed to stay in and work hard. Just maybe they are the ones that should be rewarded.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,879 times
Quote:
I wish people could live a month in the shoes of a teacher and realize how hard it actually is.... some people are too closeminded I guess to put themselves in another's shoes and realize things aren't always "Peachy Keen" in TEACHER LAND As a CERTIFIED NYS K-12 ART/READING Teacher (have my masters and can teach both) I find some of these comments absolutely obnoxious....
Of course teaching is hard. There are tons of jobs out there that are hard that don't pay very well. Very few of those jobs are as personally rewarding as teaching can be, however.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
I could see an argument for some kinds of teachers being paid more than other kinds of teachers.

Obviously, all teachers are responsible (or should be) for developing lesson plans, planning activities, dealing with parents, and evaluating students' progress. That said, though, beyond those core responsibilities common to all teachers, some teachers have greater duties or obligations that take more time than the duties or obligations of others.

For example, if I were a P.E. teacher, I would have very little written homework to grade, if any. Most of my evaluation of my students' progress comes during class when I evaluate whether or not X student has mastered dribbling for our basketball unit, for example. I may have a midterm and final exam or some interim exams, but very often those are scan-tron tests requiring little time to grade.

OTOH, let's say I were an English teacher for A.P. I also give interim, midterm, and final exams, but most English teachers are required to give essay questions, which means that the time spent upon evaluation of my students' progress will take a substantially greater amount of time than it would if I were teaching phys. education. Additionally, I am required by the College Board to teach how to write a research paper. If the average research paper takes five minutes to read and three to evaluate, and each of my 120 students is an AP student, it takes 960 minutes (16 hours) to grade my students' papers -- 16 hours that I either do during school hours or do for free, because teachers don't have "billable hours" for the extra work they do grading papers.

Obviously, you can have a slacker English teacher who assigns no written work and a dedicated PE teacher who assigns a great deal of it. However, they are exceptions, not the rule. The nature of the job itself tends to include more work for English teachers and less work for PE teachers once the common core of their duties as generic "teachers" is accounted for.
Thank you, That's all I'm saying. You should be paid for what you do, not just because you punch the clock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching