Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I agree that professionals don't leave work at work in any field. Of course teachers get paid for parent teacher conferences. Why would they be expected to give up an unpaid day to come in and talk to parents? Conference days are included in the contract. When I worked in private industry I had training paid for by my employer (just like teacher conferences).
I don't get paid specifically for parent conferences. Many if not most schools, do not have special parent conference days. Our conferences are before school, after school, at home on the phone and I have even met parents back at school at 6 or 7 PM because it is the only time their work schedules would allow. We have a great contract in my district, but there is nothing in there which includes parent/teacher conference days.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I have lived in several school districts in more than one state, and I don't see beater cars in the parking lots. I see Lexuses, Camrys, SUVs...you get the picture. I know some teachers work very hard, but I do too, and so do many in private industry, and we do not get their benefit packages. We do not get pensions or full benefits, and you have to consider all of that part of your pay package.
One person I know went back and got her Masters, online, and it was paid for by the state. I asked her if she was going to find a new job and she said, "Heck no, they just have to pay me more now for the job I'm doing because I have my Masters degree now." Which the taxpayer paid for...so what good did that do, for her to get her Masters except to give her more money? Why do we have to pay for someone else's degree? If I want to get more education, I have to pay for it. Sure it would benefit me, but I would also do a job requiring more of myself too.
I would like to know in which district this happened? I may want to move there. I do not know of any co-workers who have had their Master's Degrees, or any other degrees, paid for by the state. They may have qualified for and gotten financial aid, but the state certainly doesn't pay for it, at least not around here.

Nancy

Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
I don't get paid specifically for parent conferences. Many if not most schools, do not have special parent conference days. Our conferences are before school, after school, at home on the phone and I have even met parents back at school at 6 or 7 PM because it is the only time their work schedules would allow. We have a great contract in my district, but there is nothing in there which includes parent/teacher conference days.

Nancy
So you do not get exchange days? That does not seem right, as the conferences are part of your job.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:34 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
$30K right out of college isn't too bad for a job with 13 weeks a year off. A lot of college grads are lucky to make $30K for working jobs with only a week or two off.

People I know here in the NYC area who are my age think I have it made, being 24 years old and starting out at 55k while working 9 months of the year. I tell them it's more difficult than they think. I don't think they'd last one day teaching in the south Bronx lol. We all do have it pretty good though.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:08 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
I would like to know in which district this happened? I may want to move there. I do not know of any co-workers who have had their Master's Degrees, or any other degrees, paid for by the state. They may have qualified for and gotten financial aid, but the state certainly doesn't pay for it, at least not around here.

Nancy
I agree. When I got my Masters one course a year was reimbursed. I believe I was reimbursed for 2 out of 10 classes.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:09 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So you do not get exchange days? That does not seem right, as the conferences are part of your job.
I don't know what exchange days are exactly, but in our district there are two student holidays in November that are set aside for conferences.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:54 AM

96 posts, read 441,886 times
In my district, we get two half days twice a year to conduct parent/teacher conferences. School ends at 12:20 on those days, but most parents can't come in between 12:20 and 3:30 because they are working. I'm happy to stay late after school and come in before school because it means I am staying in contact with parents, and this is vital. However, it also means that I don't see my husband much for a week (and sometimes I have to reschedule people into the following week). I schedule conferences before and after school on days not specifically designated conference days. I have also stayed until 7:30PM to conduct conferences in order to meet with all of the parents.

My contract states that my work hours are 8:30-3:30, however teachers know that we have other responsibilities outside of these times. As someone mentioned earlier, teachers are not paid "extra" for conferences, meetings, committee work, planning and other responsibilities that fall outside of our contracted time. I'm not complaining (though my poor husband hears it plenty); I'm just stating a fact.

I haven't met anyone who has had their masters degree paid for by their district. For every credit I take, I get an extra $50 added onto my yearly salary (most districts in my area don't do this). A 3-credit class costs me $835, so I get $150. The cost of my degree plus extra classes I've taken will total around $10,000 by the time my degree is finished.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:26 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:

Nancy

At our charter school (elementary) there are teacher conference days. No kids in school, conferences all day. Teachers wind up working long days because they try to accommodate all of the parents' schedules. My older boys also attend a private school which also has conference days.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Talking Overpaid teachers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
lets say they start at 30k but they only work 180 days thats half the year so really teachers start off making 60k. Experienced teachers make 50k thats six figures. Am I missing something?
Only all of your figuring. Except for that, it's clear that you begrudge teachers for some reason.

Let's take a look at what you're saying...

Teachers generally work 187 days.

People in "regular" jobs work 250 days.

So, your 180 day figure equalling half a year is badly bogus. Everything you based on that flawed concept is, too.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:19 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Teachers who make 60K are 55 years old and have coached, been department heads, and worked all of those extra positions they offer to MAKE that money... The beginning teacher make 30K in our area- and the pay does not increase in a speedy manner. You must consider as a teacher you work OVER TIME that you do not get paid for. When I taught I was the yearbook editor- and was given a mere $300 for the time it took to create the book that year- PEANUTS for the hours I busted my hump working late each night. THEN there are the school dances you are supposed to attend, sporting events, after school help/ before school help, plays, concerts... and don't forget all of those stupid fund raisers that your kids bring into school and ask the teachers to BUY from them for scouts or church...do you realize what you are asking a teacher to do? If they say yes to one they must say yes to all- and we aren't talking about a dollar candy bar these days... Then you must go home and create lesson plans and correct papers all night... OH, and after shelling all of that cash out for your kids cookie dough or buckets of popcorn, all of those parties teachers through, treats, rewards... come out of their now empty pocket. Also, in NY teachers are forced to get their masters- the cost of education costs so much it will take YEARS to get that money back on a teacher's salary. There are other issues with this rediculous theory that teachers are paid six figures... and they don't get paid all year... you get paid for 10 months- you have to pinch every penny you can in the summer... THAT is the reason teachers work in the summer- not to be cushy and posh- they HAVE to.... some poeple have a really warped sense of reality thinking a teacher would give up two months of relaxation and freedom to wait tables or tutor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching