Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,947,132 times

Advertisements

Another possibility though not one with great pay might be working in a book store such as Barnes and Noble. A small independent bookstore might be a good choice, but there are not many of those left.

What about starting your own business? I would love to own a bookstore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:01 AM

296 posts, read 414,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Another possibility though not one with great pay might be working in a book store such as Barnes and Noble. A small independent bookstore might be a good choice, but there are not many of those left.

What about starting your own business? I would love to own a bookstore.
That sounds very nice. Our local B Dalton bookstore closed a little while back. An employee started his own bookstore in town-- so far so good! Seems like it would need a niche of some kind to be profitable.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,335,159 times
I would have to do a ton of tutoring to even come close to making up a year's pay and benefits lost from teaching. I don't think that tutoring, or even working at a place like Barnes and Noble, would be a viable alternative for most people.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:56 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,253,358 times
What is amazing and so telling is this thread has 44 responses and over 11,000 views. To think the state of education / our schools is so BAD that so many teachers are "considering" or investigating any and all options to get out of what has become a freak show directed by people in government who have no concept what education really is.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM

141 posts, read 244,178 times
Create an educational app or website. If you don't know programming you can get a contractor that won't break your pockets to assist you. I'm still teaching but what I did was create a website ala Khan Academy with some educational games. As soon as I figure out how to monetize it hopefully I will transition from classroom teaching to "online teaching".

Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,781 times
Wow it's so good to know, as a teacher I'm not the only one who feel this way. I've never come across a forum that so accuratel describes the challenges and horror stories of being a teacher. And it isn't all bad but my goodness we don't even have a voice anymore!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,210,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I would have to do a ton of tutoring to even come close to making up a year's pay and benefits lost from teaching. I don't think that tutoring, or even working at a place like Barnes and Noble, would be a viable alternative for most people.
I moved from the midwest this year to NC. My teacher's salary paycheck has been cut in half. (WAY less pay, higher taxes, and much higher benefit contribution). I am dual certified and have an MA, but am working for peanuts! My workload is more than I can handle and my family is suffering. I am a special ed teacher bogged down with more kids at a time than I can give the "individualized" instruction I am required to give to increase their levels. Try teaching 4th grade math, 3rd grade writing, and kindergarten language arts and behavior management AT THE SAME TIME in a resource room! My caseload is killing me. I am doing paperwork until 11 at night, am at work over 9 hours a day (no planning period) and getting almost no sleep. My own kids are not getting the attention they need and deserve. My weekends are taken up planning, grading, and writing IEPs.

My co-worker tutors and makes MORE money tutoring than teaching (she has 25 years teaching experience) BUT its all nights and weekends! I still wouldnt see my kids, so I'm trying to find something else to do before I cant take it anymore. I cant keep working 12 -15 hours/day 6 days/week, plus half of Saturday.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,253,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I moved from the midwest this year to NC. My teacher's salary paycheck has been cut in half. (WAY less pay, higher taxes, and much higher benefit contribution). I am dual certified and have an MA, but am working for peanuts! My workload is more than I can handle and my family is suffering. I am a special ed teacher bogged down with more kids at a time than I can give the "individualized" instruction I am required to give to increase their levels. Try teaching 4th grade math, 3rd grade writing, and kindergarten language arts and behavior management AT THE SAME TIME in a resource room! My caseload is killing me. I am doing paperwork until 11 at night, am at work over 9 hours a day (no planning period) and getting almost no sleep. My own kids are not getting the attention they need and deserve. My weekends are taken up planning, grading, and writing IEPs.

My co-worker tutors and makes MORE money tutoring than teaching (she has 25 years teaching experience) BUT its all nights and weekends! I still wouldnt see my kids, so I'm trying to find something else to do before I cant take it anymore. I cant keep working 12 -15 hours/day 6 days/week, plus half of Saturday.
When I was in NC, I was amazed buy the attitude towards SpEd students and what they wanted SpEd teachers to do. Then I started thinking how it is in MI and realized there was little or no difference. If one had a career in public education in MI the salary was great If you worked in other venues like lock down or residential, not si great. Then there was having to move in and out of charter schools where the salary dropped each time you changed schools. And after 2-3 years and several small increases, one is summarily RIF'd for whatever reason is at the top of the list that week.

I had entertained going into counsulting or some other avenue of education, but after 20 years I am so done with that idea. I am even considering going to communityy college for a 18 month vocational program in HVAC or even truck driving school.

The cost of grad school is outrageous and I cannot get SS for another 10-15 years, depending on how far the idiots in DC raise the required age between now and my 62nd or 70th birthday.
So I am reduced to trying to create some form of viable imcome between now and August (when I receive my last check) as I have NO plans of returning to any classroom in September.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,210,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
When I was in NC, I was amazed buy the attitude towards SpEd students and what they wanted SpEd teachers to do. Then I started thinking how it is in MI and realized there was little or no difference. If one had a career in public education in MI the salary was great If you worked in other venues like lock down or residential, not si great. Then there was having to move in and out of charter schools where the salary dropped each time you changed schools. And after 2-3 years and several small increases, one is summarily RIF'd for whatever reason is at the top of the list that week.

I had entertained going into counsulting or some other avenue of education, but after 20 years I am so done with that idea. I am even considering going to communityy college for a 18 month vocational program in HVAC or even truck driving school.

The cost of grad school is outrageous and I cannot get SS for another 10-15 years, depending on how far the idiots in DC raise the required age between now and my 62nd or 70th birthday.
So I am reduced to trying to create some form of viable imcome between now and August (when I receive my last check) as I have NO plans of returning to any classroom in September.
If I had any other means of making enough money with benefits, I wouldnt come back. I'm worn out-and for longer hours and half the take home pay of WI, where I taught for 15 years, it seems unbearable. I still have 20 years to work, but know I cant do it teaching. I miss time with my own kids!
I was hoping this thread would have had good suggestions that were good-paying. Although I guess an BA and MA in education doesnt transfer over to much. Sad. I'll be paying student loans until I die!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,740,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
If I had any other means of making enough money with benefits, I wouldnt come back. I'm worn out-and for longer hours and half the take home pay of WI, where I taught for 15 years, it seems unbearable. I still have 20 years to work, but know I cant do it teaching. I miss time with my own kids!
I was hoping this thread would have had good suggestions that were good-paying. Although I guess an BA and MA in education doesnt transfer over to much. Sad. I'll be paying student loans until I die!
I could have warned you. NC is a terrible state to teach in! I'm really hoping to finally get out after this year. (Out of the state, not education.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching