Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,760,951 times

Advertisements

I don't want to offend anyone, but, having come from a executive position in a Fortune 100 company, teachers are held in very, very low regard in business.

I taught a couple of years before joining the company, and I got so disgusted after 7 years I returned to teaching. I heard horrible things about teaching. I also received numerous apologies after someone blasted teachers, and then found out I had taught for two years.

It will probably not make you feel good, but I would not count on teaching, as opening many doors.

I suggest you go to community college and get a LPN cert, or some sort of medical tech cert, radiology, ultra sound, etc.

Once you are in the career, you can use the skills you have learned as a teacher to advance.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,213,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I could have warned you. NC is a terrible state to teach in! I'm really hoping to finally get out after this year. (Out of the state, not education.)
I LOVE the state, can't tolerate the working conditions.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,213,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I don't want to offend anyone, but, having come from a executive position in a Fortune 100 company, teachers are held in very, very low regard in business.

I taught a couple of years before joining the company, and I got so disgusted after 7 years I returned to teaching. I heard horrible things about teaching. I also received numerous apologies after someone blasted teachers, and then found out I had taught for two years.

It will probably not make you feel good, but I would not count on teaching, as opening many doors.

I suggest you go to community college and get a LPN cert, or some sort of medical tech cert, radiology, ultra sound, etc.

Once you are in the career, you can use the skills you have learned as a teacher to advance.

Good luck.
I am aware of this. It's funny-I have 2 degrees and another area of certification-have more college credits than I'd care to admit, have to take more classes every few years to renew my license, work more hours than many in the corporate world, work well with people, have to data analyze for everything I do, and am thought of as a "peon" in the working world.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 AM

60 posts, read 80,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
SO what other careers would be easier for a teacher to transition?

I don't know what will happen a few years from now in the system I'm in, but I've thought about what else I could do if teaching doesn't work out.
Military.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,745,452 times
For reasons already posted on this thread, I would not count on experience in education being valued or thought highly of when considering jobs in the corporate sector (and, honestly, if most teachers HAD a burgeoning interest in business, they wouldn't have gone the education route in the first place). Even if one has worked in other fields and gained very applicable experience, due to inherent bias against education/educators in many corporate environments, it's likely that will be overlooked, and that there are those who will choose to not look past the "I see you were a teacher," thing. In my experience, some decidedly non-corporate arenas are a bit more friendly to former educators, including charities, foundations, and other nonprofits. Often (but certainly not always, so be choosy), their philosophies are more in line with those likely to be held by people who have invested in teaching, and the atmosphere has a decidedly different focus. A background teaching is sometimes more likely to mesh with employers that are more focused on human services and the like. However, large nonprofits can be exceptionally corporate-like in nature and in how they run and operate and treat employees. And there are certainly corporate gigs that would provide a teacher-friendly environment, as well...but just speaking in generalities, here.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 PM

4,546 posts, read 6,831,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I LOVE the state, can't tolerate the working conditions.
This is a national trend. The NC model is largely being copied around the country. It is not likely to get better any time soon with Race to the Top.

Additionally, the new teacher evaluation criterion will result in a lot of turnover. It isn't overtly stated, but this program is designed to reduce salary costs to school districts. Many young, low paid, college graduates will enter the field and stay for 3 to 5 years only to leave and be replaced by the next group.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 AM

4,546 posts, read 6,831,481 times
The longer one is in teaching the more likely they will find it is difficult to find meaningful and/or good-paying jobs in the private sector. Your best bet is to try and start your own business.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,309,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The longer one is in teaching the more likely they will find it is difficult to find meaningful and/or good-paying jobs in the private sector. Your best bet is to try and start your own business.
Absolutely!! Counsulting, sales, craftsman. Afetr 20 years teaching and 53 years of age finding other employment mis impossible. Even entry level insurance sale!!

Old 09-19-2014, 06:37 AM

75 posts, read 123,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post

The most important thing for you is to market your skill set and find what you'll like doing for the long-term. If you're a math teacher then maybe accounting might interest you, or maybe you're an english teacher and technical writing may be want you really want to do.
This is the best advice I've read in this thread. Additional education is often a waste of both time and money. Colleges will be happy to take your money and your time. But what counts in most fields is experience. Education and certification will give you none of that.

All teachers have a skill set--a skill set that far exceeds that of most other professionals. Market that.

As another poster said, it's not easy switching careers, but it can be done. The good thing is that you can always go back to teaching. Keep your certification valid.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:29 PM

175 posts, read 371,196 times
Has anyone mention OT? I find it quite close to teaching, just better :-) COTA would work too. And the pay is a lot higher, the demand is there. You can still work with kids, just one on one or with small groups.
COTA program is usually 15-18 months long. Salary here in TX is between $60K (40 hrs/week)-$80K(with overtime). You can get COTA certified in a community college. It's tough to get in though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching