Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 06:08 AM

989 posts, read 1,885,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
After working in the corporate world for 20 years with the nasty bosses and office politics, I thought teaching at a local community college would be an easy second job. I was so wrong. Teaching Adults in a three hour evening course is so much harder than anything I have ever done. I suspect teaching kids would be ten times harder.

I agree 100% with you that teaching is no walk in the park job. I taught elementary school for one year after college, and left it for a job in corporate America. I still work in a corporate prison with some rather difficult people, but it's much easier then dealing with a classroom not to mention the pay is much better.

People like you and me have seen both sides of the coin. What makes me nuts is some of the people in this thread who have never actually taught, but are convinced that it's so easy. They're entitled to their opinions, but perhaps they should try and talk with some more people who have transitioned into a teaching career from a previous career. Maybe they'll realize that it's not a cake job that just anyone can do and do well.

Last edited by izannimda; 05-06-2009 at 06:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 AM

31,702 posts, read 41,183,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Oh geez, you guys get more ridiculous with each post. This thread is not about me, its about a topic. A topic that I have a particular view on. I'm not stating my views to "irk teachers", I simply don't care whether teachers don't like my views about the public education system. Disagree what something I say? Address the issue or shut it.

Its rather sad that a bunch of teachers don't do much but reduce themselves to a bunch of fallacies. Me as a person is completely irrelevant to the topic, yet it keeps coming up.
Supportive data is always a welcome

Old 05-06-2009, 12:33 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,167,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
As an engineer turned secondary teacher, I cannot disagree more. While many of the classes I had to take for my credentials were worthless, others were very valuable. My expertise in engineering did not prepare me to teach 16-18 year olds. Neither did my MAT degree but it was sure better than nothing. It will take my MAT and about 3 years experience to turn me into an effective teacher.

Knowing your subject is not enough. You need to know the people you teach as well. While some of that must happen on the job, much can be handled in the college classroom. After all, it is a classroom which is where teachers prepare to work.
Like I said I already argued my position in another thread. I agree knowing your subject is not enough, but credentials do not effectively create good teachers. It is best to actually screen out the teachers in the wild as is done in the college system.

Requiring a few education courses is one thing and draconian credential program is another.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Supportive data is always a welcome
Nobody asked me for "supportive data", they just insulted me, tried to discount my views by picking me apart personally, and tried to psychoanalysis me. All of which are of course are....fallacies.

Does not exactly speak well for the profession....

Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Nobody asked me for "supportive data", they just insulted me, tried to discount my views by picking me apart personally, and tried to psychoanalysis me. All of which are of course are....fallacies.

Does not exactly speak well for the profession....
Teachers do that all of the time just as you described. Especially as students get older. Ever listen to us talk about a student we don't like? Talk about parents we don't like? Other staff members we don't care for? Spend some time in the teachers lounge we are skilled at doing what you described.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Teachers do that all of the time just as you described. Especially as students get older. Ever listen to us talk about a student we don't like? Talk about parents we don't like? Other staff members we don't care for? Spend some time in the teachers lounge we are skilled at doing what you described.
Skilled at being irrational? Well you said it not me

But yes, I know what teachers talk about it. But, I consider it "venting" and its done by most people. There is a big difference between venting and fallaciously trying to discount someone's view by attacking them personally. There are also plenty of teachers that do not partake in the latter, apparently just not here.

It is not surprising that most teachers support a corrupt and ineffective education system, people rarely bite the hand that feeds them.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:15 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,672,141 times
Quote:
Like I said I already argued my position in another thread. I agree knowing your subject is not enough, but credentials do not effectively create good teachers. It is best to actually screen out the teachers in the wild as is done in the college system.

Requiring a few education courses is one thing and draconian credential program is another.
Credentials don't create a good anything. They are simply a solid foundation upon which to build someone who is. A structure can never be stronger than it's foundation. My engineering degree is the foundation I built an engineer on and my teaching degree plus my subject are expertise the foundation I'll build an excellent teacher upon. I can't imagine doing this without that foundation.

I used to think like you. I wondered why I had to go back for another degree to teach when I already had two. The problem about not having that is you have no idea what you're missing. You can argue until the cows come home but until you actually have it you can't compare the two situations. There are things I never would have thought to research on my own that I was taught in my MAT program. I can't tell you how many times something brought up in class really challenged what I thought or changed my position.

Also, there is a such thing as paying your dues. One reason for going through a program is to determine who wants it bad enough to do it. If you make it too easy, you lose the weeding effect and in teaching you need it.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Credentials don't create a good anything. They are simply a solid foundation upon which to build someone who is. A structure can never be stronger than it's foundation. My engineering degree is the foundation I built an engineer on and my teaching degree plus my subject are expertise the foundation I'll build an excellent teacher upon. I can't imagine doing this without that foundation.
You may want to ask yourself how our superior college system works without this so called "foundation" being a requirement.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Skilled at being irrational? Well you said it not me

But yes, I know what teachers talk about it. But, I consider it "venting" and its done by most people. There is a big difference between venting and fallaciously trying to discount someone's view by attacking them personally. There are also plenty of teachers that do not partake in the latter, apparently just not here.

It is not surprising that most teachers support a corrupt and ineffective education system, people rarely bite the hand that feeds them.
I am highly critical of teachers running their mouths and reflecting complete and total unprofessional behavior. Teachers support a broke system because their professional associations profit from it and most of the time they are like sheep following the herd.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 PM

901 posts, read 2,996,133 times
Quote:
I am highly critical of teachers running their mouths and reflecting complete and total unprofessional behavior. Teachers support a broke system because their professional associations profit from it and most of the time they are like sheep following the herd.
Where in this thread and recent threads was it ever said that teachers are happy with the educational system as it is?

Also, TuborgP, you said you were a teacher. Did you teach in the inner city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching