Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 01:23 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,102,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Now THIS is irony. You have no teaching credentials, but you know all about teaching? I have extensive experience with my children's illnesses and general healthcare....can I be a pediatrician now???
There is no irony here, one does not need a teaching credential to teach in many contexts. As I've stated a number of times I've been involved in teaching in a number of capacities, including of course being an instructor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
No, cause you are not qualified, just like User_ID isn't qualified to teach either. What's so said about user_id is the fact that as he keeps posting on these teacher thread the more I learn the sad truth about him. He seems to have something against teachers, probably for having a couple of bad apples who taught him.
Yes, because I don't have a teaching credential I'm not qualified to teach Lets ignore the fact that you don't need a teaching credential to teach at a number of private schools and in the college/university system. Lets also ignore the fact that there are a number of other jobs in education except "teacher".

These personal attacks are pathetic.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:11 AM

24 posts, read 83,113 times
I thought thats what they said about farmers!? lol!

I think its just a "funny ha/ha" to add [insert whoevers' job pissed' you off that day]!
I know I certainly wouldn't take it to heart unless it was coming from someone I greatly respected, and they knew me well enough to know it would shock! Otherwise.....roll on!

Last edited by hooterville; 05-05-2009 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: didn't know I could say pissed! lol

Old 05-05-2009, 07:08 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,429,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, because I don't have a teaching credential I'm not qualified to teach Lets ignore the fact that you don't need a teaching credential to teach at a number of private schools and in the college/university system. Lets also ignore the fact that there are a number of other jobs in education except "teacher".

I can start a whole new thread on private school teachers, who by the way, aren't required at some of those private schools to have a degree as well. My cousin who left private educated because her salary was low, only had a high school diploma from an inner city high school, and yet they hired her to teach 6th grade. Not to say that she wasn't qualified cause I don't know if they required her to take a test to seee if she was even competent to teach. But, public school teachers have to go through a whole long laundry lists of requirement just to get their foot in the door.

Even if you want to substitute in CA, you have to have at least a BA, passed the basic skills test, which is called the CBEST test. If you want to teach elmentary ed permanetly, you need to have BA, passed the CBEST Test, taken the RICA Test for teaching Reading and Language Arts, as well as go through a background check. You need to be interviewed by a panel in order to be accepted, show that you are compentent to teach by being asked several classroom scenario questions regarding practices you have learned from college you would implement in your classroom.

I can go on too with the required two year BTSA induction program, that veteran teachers such as myself, help new teachers go through to get their clear credential. CA has a lot of requirements before teachers can become fully tenured, and with the Standards that the state of CA h as for teachers, it can be quite grueling for some, and that's why 50% of people who go into teaching in CA dont last after 3 years.

Last edited by antredd; 05-05-2009 at 07:20 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,429,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

LET me break it down to you this way. YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO TEACH ANY CHILD IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN CA, if you don't have a CA Teaching Credential. That's a fact. Maybe you can teach privately or on some other capacicty, but IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN, this forum is mainly about public school teachers, that you have been bashing.

What's so interesting, we don't hear too much about private school teachers, especially when the majority of their classes are small, which they should be, if I am paying $6000-$25000 a year to have my child in private school. Also, most parents who send their kids to private school, and this was discussed on another thread do so mainly for three reasons-1. to keep their child separated from bad influence in public school; 2. to give their child a better education that public schools in that person's town don't provide, and 3. they simply can afford it.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,565,760 times
Quote:
LET me break it down to you this way. YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO TEACH ANY CHILD IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN CA, if you don't have a CA Teaching Credential. That's a fact. Maybe you can teach privately or on some other capacicty, but IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN, this forum is mainly about public school teachers, that you have been bashing.

What's so interesting, we don't hear too much about private school teachers, especially when the majority of their classes are small, which they should be, if I am paying $6000-$25000 a year to have my child in private school. Also, most parents who send their kids to private school, and this was discussed on another thread do so mainly for three reasons-1. to keep their child separated from bad influence in public school; 2. to give their child a better education that public schools in that person's town don't provide, and 3. they simply can afford it.
Private schools are very different, for the reasons you noted. They have a, completely, different demographic. Parents who care about their child's education and parents with enough affluence to afford private school. Private schools can also choose which students to take and which to pass on. In public shcools you get everyone from the local drug dealer's kids to the college bound and if you have a problem with a child, unless they commit a crime, you can't expell them.

I've never taught in a private school but I kind of have a comparison. I did my student teaching in a school that had not started the chemistry for all initiative (all students must take chemistry to graduate) so the students I taught were, mainly, the college bound. I'm in a charter school that requires all students to take chemisty so I get the ones who want to be there and the ones who don't want to be there. It makes a world of difference.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I can start a whole new thread on private school teachers, who by the way, aren't required at some of those private schools to have a degree as well.
Teaching is teaching. Whether you teach at a private school or a public school you are still a teacher. I have multiple degrees, I just don't have a need to impress people with them.

Quote:
LET me break it down to you this way. YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO TEACH ANY CHILD IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN CA, if you don't have a CA Teaching Credential. That's a fact.
Don't play games. You are conflating being "qualified to teach" in a general sense with having a teaching credential. The teach credential is just a (stupid) technical requirement one needs to teach in the public school system, it says nothing about how "qualified" one is in a more general sense. I am far more qualified to teach in the public school system than the vast majority of newly credentialed teachers. That's a fact.

But all of this is irrelevant. You guys simply can't deal with the actual issues, you can only attack people.

Last edited by user_id; 05-05-2009 at 02:30 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 01:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Now THIS is irony. You have no teaching credentials, but you know all about teaching? I have extensive experience with my children's illnesses and general healthcare....can I be a pediatrician now???
Funny you should say that! I work in a pediatrician's office, and we get many parents who call in wanting certain meds prescribed, X-rays and labs ordered, all w/o seeing the kid. They think they can diagnose their kids' illnesses, and just want us for the formality.

Quote:
I can start a whole new thread on private school teachers, who by the way, aren't required at some of those private schools to have a degree as well. My cousin who left private educated because her salary was low, only had a high school diploma from an inner city high school, and yet they hired her to teach 6th grade. Not to say that she wasn't qualified cause I don't know if they required her to take a test to seee if she was even competent to teach. But, public school teachers have to go through a whole long laundry lists of requirement just to get their foot in the door.

Even if you want to substitute in CA, you have to have at least a BA, passed the basic skills test, which is called the CBEST test. If you want to teach elmentary ed permanetly, you need to have BA, passed the CBEST Test, taken the RICA Test for teaching Reading and Language Arts, as well as go through a background check. You need to be interviewed by a panel in order to be accepted, show that you are compentent to teach by being asked several classroom scenario questions regarding practices you have learned from college you would implement in your classroom.

I can go on too with the required two year BTSA induction program, that veteran teachers such as myself, help new teachers go through to get their clear credential. CA has a lot of requirements before teachers can become fully tenured, and with the Standards that the state of CA h as for teachers, it can be quite grueling for some, and that's why 50% of people who go into teaching in CA dont last after 3 years.
OK, maybe you can help me understand something. I know two people in CA, neither or whom have teaching certificates, who are teaching in public schools. One has an engineering degree, she started taking courses to get certified, but was hired before she finished those courses. The other has a BS in biology, took some test, then an intensive six week course, and she's teaching. What's the deal?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:06 PM

45,456 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Katiana, many states have an "emergency" or "provisional" certificate process, especially in hard to fill subjects. Usually the new teacher has to agree to begin courses to attain certifiction. Sometimes the school system pays for those courses. Where I am offers it across all disciplines and has even set up learning cohorts with a couple of the State Universities in addition to covering much of the cost.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Katiana, many states have an "emergency" or "provisional" certificate process, especially in hard to fill subjects. Usually the new teacher has to agree to begin courses to attain certifiction. Sometimes the school system pays for those courses. Where I am offers it across all disciplines and has even set up learning cohorts with a couple of the State Universities in addition to covering much of the cost.
I am aware of that, and I know people in Colorado who have done that. I just want to hear about what's going on in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching