Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,261,625 times

Advertisements

I know this is way off topic, but fits your sense of frustration.

Many years ago my aunt got a job at Saunders, an ice cream store. She really needed the job, but was mortified when the first day of work they gave her a uniform that was pink, with a pink round collar with white lace, so tight it strained across the bust, she was quite well-endowed, she said she felt like a tramp in it, asked for a better-fitting uniform and was told that's it, take it or leave it, she spent the first day in extreme discomfort and mortificaiton, came home and quit, although she needed the job.

Sometimes things like that can be simply unbearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 02:07 PM

17 posts, read 204,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
If you have to wear knee socks (gosh, that's nuts!) I would wear hose underneath.
I'll bet she's not allowed to wear pantyhose underneath with knee socks. Many Catholic schools don't even permit pantyhose to be worn with uniforms. Some allow tights in cold weather, but not underneath the knee socks at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmom View Post
Wearing the jumper was not at all good for working in the library, and I had these two seniors loitering over me for most of that Wednesday and Thursday while I moved books and materials. Much of that time I had to be low on the floor either sitting or squatting, and the hem was constantly creeping mid-thigh. I knew they were eyeballing me when I wasn't looking directly at them. What also got to me is I think one of them took a quick photo of me with his camera phone from behind while I was reaching for some books.
This shows exactly what I was saying on Sunday - the OP is going to endure this kind of harrassment throughout her internship dressed in a Catholic school uniform. She's a full-figured 5'11" adult, and shouldn't have to worry that everytime her back is turned, a high school-aged boy is going to be photographing her or worse - upskirting her with a inconspicuous cameraphone.

I can't imagine having to work under those conditions, especially when her career is so dependant on obtaining a positive review from the school.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:19 PM

605 posts, read 2,164,632 times
As a pre-service teacher, I am empathetic to your situation. I'd be uncomfortable too.

A couple of thoughts:

What those boys did to you in the library is sexually harassing behavior. You have a right not to be harassed. I encourage you to bring the incident to your advisor separate from the uniform issue. He/she should then help you to negotiate bringing it up with the school administration. Even though harrassment by students may not meet the legal definition of workplace harrassment, an institution should feel morally/ethically bound to do something about the matter. If in the course of "doing something" the uniform can be shown to be a substantial part of the problem for you, so much the better.

Many have pointed out here that you agreed to wear a uniform by taking the position. It seems that you concur on this point. Despite this agreement, you are entitled not to be made to feel uncomfortable about your body, particularly in a sexualized context. No matter what someone else thinks your response should be, you can not change the way you feel in your own skin. Debating that is the same as trying to argue someone out of a phobia; it is a valid emotional reaction that you can't simply be talked out of. Perhaps your college/university or the school at which you are working has a written policy that addresses issues of community respect/comfort or an individual's rights within the school setting. Maybe they define sexual harrassment more broadly than the legal definition. If so, read up and see if it applies to your situation.

Your adviser may, in fact, be uncomfortable about ruffling feathers at the Catholic school. However, I imagine you paid tuition to the institution that employs your adviser. Remember that you are your adviser's client and should be treated as such. As for the school, they willingly accepted the costs of having teaching interns. As much as they may want for their interns to stay on for FT jobs, they still get the benefit of overall reduced recruiting costs and a trained adult in the classroom for much less than the price of a veteran teacher. Your college/university can not effectively serve its students if it sees its role as serving as an employment agency for local schools.

In terms of getting the hours you need for graduation/certification, it's still early in the year. If you get yourself on a sub list, maybe you could make up any hours lost by working at summer school or subbing at schools that are in session while the Catholic school is on holiday break(s). Every institution has its own rules about these things, so it might not work. Just a thought.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,395,103 times
I hope this works out favorably for you MM. You decided to take this assignment, despite the fact the school flaked out on you with the uniform, despite your initial feelings and reservations because you felt the benefits outweighed the negatives. If you still feel that way, then give it your best. Be the most excellent student teacher that school has ever had.

I don't think you will necessarily change the inherent culture of the school, sounds like they are very firm in their beliefs, rooted in another time and era perhaps. You may not be able to change them, but you can be in control of you and your responses to them.

One good thing, the school year tends to go by fast with the breaks and off days. If you stay, be the best.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:18 PM

17 posts, read 204,366 times
I am curious as to how this situation turned out for the OP. Anyone hear any updates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching