Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can find information on which states honor Michigan teaching certs? My husband is applying for a job in Pennsylvania and we can't figure out if my certs would be good there.

Anyone know of a school near Allegany county PA that might want a chemistry/physics/math teacher?

Thanks.
Ivory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 05:43 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
For jobs:

www.usreap.net (public)
www.pareap.net (public)
www.schoolspring.com (public/private)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS): Career Center (private)
www.pa-educator.net/
www.teaching.state.pa.us/ (for questions re:certification)

Most NE states require out-of-state teachers to be certified in the state that they are coming from, have completed a teacher-preparation program and have three years of teaching experience in order to be considered for positions in another/their state (although there are loopholes if they really want to hire you.)

Old 08-19-2009, 05:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Pennsylvania requires all teachers to take certain Praxis tests. Teaching in PA: About Certification for Applicants Prepared Outside of Pennsylvania (http://www.teaching.state.pa.us/teaching/cwp/view.asp?a=94&Q=32455 - broken link) They say that they have reciprocal agreements with different states but what they mean is that your education will be accepted but to be certified you must take the specific Praxis tests. That said, if they need/want a teacher they can give emergency certification, but best to take the tests asap.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
For jobs:

www.usreap.net (public)
www.pareap.net (public)
www.schoolspring.com (public/private)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS): Career Center (private)
www.pa-educator.net/
www.teaching.state.pa.us/ (for questions re:certification)

Most NE states require out-of-state teachers to be certified in the state that they are coming from, have completed a teacher-preparation program and have three years of teaching experience in order to be considered for positions in another/their state (although there are loopholes if they really want to hire you.)
If they require three years experience, how does anyone certify? If you need the certificate to get the job and the job to get the experience to get the certificate how do you ever get the first certificate?

I'm sunk if that's the case. I'm just entering my second year teaching. With chemistry and physics single subject certs and a math minor (praying the university converts that to a major soon -- I have the credits, I'm missing one class that I can't get anywhere.), I'm not in high demand so I can't see anyone wanting to hire me very badly.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Pennsylvania requires all teachers to take certain Praxis tests. Teaching in PA: About Certification for Applicants Prepared Outside of Pennsylvania (http://www.teaching.state.pa.us/teaching/cwp/view.asp?a=94&Q=32455 - broken link) They say that they have reciprocal agreements with different states but what they mean is that your education will be accepted but to be certified you must take the specific Praxis tests. That said, if they need/want a teacher they can give emergency certification, but best to take the tests asap.

Testing will not be an issue. My advisor was a bit in awe when my test scores came in. They'd be higher now because I've been teaching the subjects and have had time to do a real review. I had to take my state tests on only seven weeks notice due to losing my job and jumping through hoops for emergency student teaching placement and still scored very high across the board. (student teaching was planned for the following year and I had planned on taking my tests one at a time not three in one day on 7 weeks notice :eek)

I'm chemistry, physics and math so there won't be any emergency certification. It's hard to find a job with my certs. Districts want general science teachers not teachers who can only teach a few subjects like me. While I'm considered a subject matter expert, districts value flexibility over expertise.

If he gets this, I'm guessing it will be best for me to stay here for a while. I don't have the three years experience they'd require anyway. How far is Maryland from Alagany County PA? Maybe I can look there... I wonder how the engineering market is there? I do have a chemical engineering masters and 18 years in manufacturing, product design and testing to fall back on. Unemployement in PA is only half of what it is in Michigan. Maybe I can find something in the private sector.

We'll see what happens. My husband just asked for $20K more than they were offering. He's worth more than that but it is a buyers market.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-19-2009 at 06:44 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 07:45 PM

I wasn't talking about how easy or hard the tests are, it's that they are only given at certain times of the year and the processing takes a while. My daughter graduated from college in IL two years ago, took the PA praxis tests and then moved to China. She came back a year later and was fortunate to get a job and emergency certification here in PA, but her official certification didn't come for about 3 months, and this was with the administration pushing the paperwork through. Pennsylvania produces a surprising amount of teachers and all of them are certified and good to go when they graduate.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about how easy or hard the tests are, it's that they are only given at certain times of the year and the processing takes a while. My daughter graduated from college in IL two years ago, took the PA praxis tests and then moved to China. She came back a year later and was fortunate to get a job and emergency certification here in PA, but her official certification didn't come for about 3 months, and this was with the administration pushing the paperwork through. Pennsylvania produces a surprising amount of teachers and all of them are certified and good to go when they graduate.
Okay, I misunderstood. Michigan does the same thing. They're offered four times a year. It doesn't really matter though if they require 3 years experience to get a certificate. I don't have that. I'd need to stay here two more years before I could even apply.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:26 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Does anyone know where I can find information on which states honor Michigan teaching certs? My husband is applying for a job in Pennsylvania and we can't figure out if my certs would be good there.

Anyone know of a school near Allegany county PA that might want a chemistry/physics/math teacher?

Thanks.
Ivory
The site you want is NASDTEC Clearinghouse

There, you will find the 2005-2010 Interstate Agreement ("Facilitating Mobility of Educational Personnel") as well as charts spelling out what each state has agreed constitutes certification from another state - that is, which parts of the agreement they accept.

In the case of PA, they accept Section A and Sections B2 and B4 for pretty much everywhere, including Michigan. See the red areas below:
Quote:
[CENTER][CENTER]SECTION III. ESTABLISHING ELIGIBILITY FOR CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE UNDER THE NASDTEC INTERSTATE AGREEMENT[/CENTER][/CENTER]

A. Bases for eligibility common to all parties under this Agreement:

1. Completion of an approved program: an applicant shall be entitled to certification based upon completion of an approved program if the applicant presents reasonable proof to the receiving Member that the following requirements have been met:

a. completion of an approved program in a comparable or broader discipline;

b. compliance with any requirements of the receiving Member relating to citizenship and moral, ethical, physical, or mental fitness;

c. compliance with all recency requirements of the receiving Member;

d. compliance with all ancillary requirements of the receiving Member common to all comparable certificates issued by that Member; and

e. completion of any post-baccalaureate study required by the receiving Member.

2. Completion of an approved program, certification, and experience: an applicant shall be entitled to certification based upon completion of an approved program, certification and experience if the applicant presents reasonable proof to the receiving Member that the following requirements have been met.

a. completion of an approved program in a comparable or broader discipline;

b. possession of a valid Level II or III certificate issued by a Member;

c.compliance with any requirements of the receiving Member relating to citizenship and moral, ethical, physical, or mental fitness;

d. compliance with all ancillary requirements of the receiving Member common to all comparable certificates issued by that Member;

e. completion of any post-baccalaureate study required by the receiving Member; and

f. provision of satisfactory service as an educator in a school, in an assignment covered by the certification which is sought, on at least a half-time basis in one or more other Member Jurisdictions for not fewer than twenty-seven months during the seven years immediately preceding application for certification by the receiving Member.

3.The alternative preparation certificate (Pre-Level I) is jurisdiction-specific and not accepted by other jurisdictions under Section (A) on page 4 and Section (B) on page 5.

B. Bases for eligibility which may, by express concurrence of the affected Members as reported to the NASDTEC Executive Director, be available under this Agreement:

1. Alternative preparation: if both the issuing Member and the receiving Member have accepted this Subsection, an applicant shall be entitled to certification based upon alternative preparation if the applicant presents reasonable proof to the receiving Member that the following requirements have been met. NOTE: the alternative preparation certificate (Pre-Level 1) is jurisdiction-specific and not required to be accepted by other jurisdictions under Sections III. A and III.B. (Refer to definition under Section II.E.)
a. possession of at least a Level I certificate;

b. possession of a baccalaureate and completion of an alternative preparation program leading to certification by the issuing Member;

c. compliance with any requirements of the receiving Member relating to, citizenship and moral, ethical, physical, or mental fitness;

d. compliance with all recency requirements of the receiving Member;

e. compliance with all ancillary requirements of the receiving Member common to all comparable certificates issued by that Member; and

f. completion of any post-baccalaureate study required by the receiving Member.

2. Certification and experience: if both the issuing Member and the receiving Member have accepted this Subsection, an applicant shall be entitled to certification in the receiving Member based upon certification and experience if the applicant presents reasonable proof to the receiving Member that the following requirements have been met:

a. completion of a baccalaureate and possession of a valid Level II or Level III certificate in a comparable or broader discipline issued by a Member;

b. compliance with any requirements of the receiving Member relating to citizenship and moral, ethical, physical, or mental fitness;

c. compliance with all ancillary requirements of the receiving Member common to all comparable certificates issued by that Member;

d. completion of any post-baccalaureate study required by the receiving Member; and

e. provision of satisfactory service as an educator in a school, in an assignment covered by the certification which is sought, on at least a half-time basis in one or more other Member Jurisdictions for not fewer than twenty-seven months during the seven years immediately preceding application for certification by the receiving Member.

3. Recognition of Level II or Level III certification: if both the issuing Member and the receiving Member have accepted this Subsection, an applicant shall be entitled to receive not less than a Level II certificate in the receiving Member based upon comparable level certification if the applicant presents reasonable proof to the receiving member that the following requirements have been met:

a. possession of a valid Level II or III certificate issued by a Member;

b. compliance with any requirements of the receiving Member regarding experience, degrees held, citizenship, and moral, ethical, physical, and mental fitness; and

c. completion of any post-baccalaureate study required by the receiving Member.

4. Certification by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS): if both the issuing Member and the receiving Member have accepted this Subsection, an applicant shall be entitled to issuance of the highest level certificate included within the scope of the NBPTS certification if the applicant presents reasonable proof to the receiving member that the following requirements have been met:

a. possession of a valid NBPTS certificate;

b. possession of a corresponding, valid certificate (at least a Level 1) issued by any Member;

c. compliance with any requirements of the receiving Member regarding experience, degrees held, citizenship, and moral, ethical, physical, and mental fitness; and

d. completion of any post-baccalaureate study required by the receiving Member.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:23 AM

My daughter did not have two years of experience before she got her PA certification. She had one year in China.

Realtors, See This.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
My daughter did not have two years of experience before she got her PA certification. She had one year in China.
Thanks. Michigan has two levels. Provisional which means you've completed an approved teacher education program and professional which means you've completed additional educational requirements and accumulated three years of teaching experience. You can teach for, up to, 12 years on a provisional certificate before you have to convert.

I would assume that I could get the same kind of certificate I have but you never know. I looked at the job postings in the area. Same thing I see here. Only charters and private schools looking for teachers so I'd expect the same kind of opposition to my single subject certs I see here.

If dh gets this job, I think I'll find a recruiter and let them decide whether I should go the teaching or engineering route. One of them should result in employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching