Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,312,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I wonder if they'd have the guts to tell a police officer or a judge they have to earn their respect.

I'm having an issue with a couple of students right now to claim I disrespect them because I expect them to refrain from making comments when I lecture (intended to be funny. they're trying to get a rise out of the class) and actually do their work when I give them time in class to do it. What is with me actually expecting good behavior and doing what you're supposed to. I'm accused of not respecting them because I won't tolerate the disruptions. Apparently, they're entitled to play class clown and not do their work.
Can you flunk their ass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 02:58 PM

141 posts, read 331,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Boy, I really detest this kind of thinking. It's not old school at all. It's just complete self-centeredness.

Respect isn't conditional. Period.
I beg to differ. First, cpg, are you an educator or do you work within a school system? Second, how many children do you have or have raised?

I am no expert but my mother and step-father have 60 years experience combined and they will tell you the same thing I am going to tell you. Respect is earned, it is very conditional. I, nor my children, have one self-centered bone in our bodies but I raised them to earn respect and to give respect. A child has just enough right to be respected and give respect as an adult. Society as a whole has altered and in order for our kids to grow up faster (compare their lives to yours as a child) we push adult issues and instincts on to them.

We have had to adjust our way of raising our children over the years. Mine say yes ma'am and yes sir and if I catch them out of line I deal with it. Harshly! It kills me that they have to grow up so quickly. Why can't they take their time and grow up like us? Society doesn't allow it.

Here are four instances where my kids were polite but I would not have been:

1. After a wrestling match a coach slammed my child against a basketball guard because he lost. Respect lost.

2. A teacher ripped a wadded piece of paper out of a child's mouth and cut him with her nail because she wanted that paper and that note. Class respect gone.

3. A teacher told and laughed at a very personal medical problem of a student (a 14 year old freshmen) to another teacher loud enough the whole cafeteria heard and the child was so devastated by the remarks she went homebound. Respect of parents lost.

4. A technology teacher placed a 300 pound student by himself in a paired group project stating "your about 2 students you can work by yourself", one week into the school year. Students respect lost.

I could go on and on and I expect repercussions for this post. But my view as a public school worker remains. You gotta give respect to earn respect.

Look at these examples and tell me how much respect you have for them.

We made this culture we have today, we ruined a good thing. We made this bed and now we have to lie on it. Everyone is responsible not just the teachers.

Now come and get me but don't make me cry please.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:11 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,635,172 times
Quote:
Can you flunk their ass?
Oh, they're flunking but it's going to be a long year. Unfortunately, they'll stay in my class even after they flunk first semester.

One of the kid's mom called the school complaining about me (her son has threatened me) and demanded another teacher (I wish there was one for this kid), the principal asked her "What shall we do about the other 5 classes he's failing?" This kid has a real problem with female authority figures. If I were a betting woman, I'd bet he'll be expelled by Thanksgiving. If not for slugging me, for attacking another student.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:44 PM

Ivory, kids are horrible these days and most parents blame you guys without taking responsibility for their kids. That just goes to show how they have been raised. My mother was hit openly years ago and it was horrible. I feel sorry for these children. That's why the need for respect all the way around. I very much respect your opinions.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbottomkidok View Post
Ivory, kids are horrible these days and most parents blame you guys without taking responsibility for their kids. That just goes to show how they have been raised. My mother was hit openly years ago and it was horrible. I feel sorry for these children. That's why the need for respect all the way around. I very much respect your opinions.
Yup, his mom blames me. Apparently, expecting her son to actually pay attention and do his work is a bit much.

You know you're in trouble when the parents start excusing things like destruction of a teacher's personal property (he took something off of my desk and pulverized it because he was bored. Fortunately, it wasn't something near and dear to me. I have a lot of little trinkets from old professors and such. I'm glad I haven't brought them to school.

I had a sub yesterday and two of my demos that were up front in the class were stolen. You'd really improve our school if you expelled about 20% of the students. Not only are they not getting an education, they're making sure no one else does either.

I can't imagine what kind of lives these kids are going to have. With attitudes like these, they'll never hold down jobs.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:52 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,713,842 times
Quote:
oh, i think lazy teachers constitute perhaps 5% of the problem. In my opinion, teachers are the unsung heroes in all this. Meanwhile, here are the villains:

1) the education bureaucracy. Massive amounts of money now go to administration, rather than in the classroom itself. I read somewhere that the city of atlanta shells out close to $13,000 per child and still gets substandard performance. $13,000. You could literally pay a teacher $65,000 a year to tutor five children for the entire year on that money. Heck, you could even ask her to make them bologna sandwiches with the money you gave her. Obviously, that's an exaggeration, but it tells you the amount of waste that's involved in the huge edifice known as public education nowadays.

2) the politicians. Every time some idiot child shoots up a lunchroom á la columbine, kills himself because of bullying, or ods on drugs, some politician will be grandstanding within nanoseconds with new legislation to combat the nightmare du jour. So every time the school has to make time for sensitivity awareness, security procedures, etc. Etc. Etc., we dilute the mission of educating our kids. Last time i heard, schools still teach from 8 to 3, right? Yet less and less time is devoted to actual teaching of the core curriculum.

3) the parents. Yep, the #1 offender. Show me a kid without a major learning disability making cs, ds, and fs, and i'll show you a parent who is asleep at the switch. Show me a kid who is a discipline problem in the classroom, and i'll show you a kid whose parents failed to be firm at home. Show me a kid who doesn't value his teacher in particular and education in general every time he walks his happy ass into the classroom, and i'll show you a parent who didn't instill those values in the first place.

More on that. If your kids is an ongoing discipline problem, it isn't because the principal or teacher hates your kid. It's because you're a crappy parent because you haven't taught him how to behave. If your kid is flunking a couple of subjects, it's not because the teacher isn't trying to teach him or her. It's because you're a crappy parent for not making him study.

Thank you. I've wanted to get that off my chest.
amen!!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

You know you're in trouble when the parents start excusing things like destruction of a teacher's personal property (he took something off of my desk and pulverized it because he was bored. Fortunately, it wasn't something near and dear to me.

I had a sub yesterday and two of my demos that were up front in the class were stolen.

Our parents and children have to read and sign a school handbook every year. These are two things that are grounds for police involvement and expulsion.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,312,821 times
Quote:
I beg to differ. First, cpg, are you an educator or do you work within a school system? Second, how many children do you have or have raised?

I am no expert but my mother and step-father have 60 years experience combined and they will tell you the same thing I am going to tell you. Respect is earned, it is very conditional. I, nor my children, have one self-centered bone in our bodies but I raised them to earn respect and to give respect. A child has just enough right to be respected and give respect as an adult. Society as a whole has altered and in order for our kids to grow up faster (compare their lives to yours as a child) we push adult issues and instincts on to them.

We have had to adjust our way of raising our children over the years. Mine say yes ma'am and yes sir and if I catch them out of line I deal with it. Harshly! It kills me that they have to grow up so quickly. Why can't they take their time and grow up like us? Society doesn't allow it.

1. After a wrestling match a coach slammed my child against a basketball guard because he lost. Respect lost.

2. A teacher ripped a wadded piece of paper out of a child's mouth and cut him with her nail because she wanted that paper and that note. Class respect gone.

3. A teacher told and laughed at a very personal medical problem of a student (a 14 year old freshmen) to another teacher loud enough the whole cafeteria heard and the child was so devastated by the remarks she went homebound. Respect of parents lost.

4. A technology teacher placed a 300 pound student by himself in a paired group project stating "your about 2 students you can work by yourself", one week into the school year. Students respect lost.

I could go on and on and I expect repercussions for this post. But my view as a public school worker remains. You gotta give respect to earn respect.

We made this culture we have today, we ruined a good thing. We made this bed and now we have to lie on it. Everyone is responsible not just the teachers.

Total, absolute rubbish. I'm sorry that you cannot tell the difference between a few bad teachers and the vast majority of educators.

On the off chance that these anecdotes of yours aren't ginned up or exaggerated wholesale, I'll say this: Bad and abusive educators must be removed immediately.

But this apparent belief of yours that, on the first day of class, the educator has to earn the respect of the student is pure drivel. If the teacher does not have the immediate respect on the very first day of class, then the rest of the year will be total chaos. My children have had a few mediocre teachers during their academic careers. But do you think I would allow my children to do anything less than to cheerfully do their assignments or behave in the classroom? Hell no.

Children are, in no way, shape, or form, the social equivalent of adults. Yes, children should, of course, begin their relationship with a fundamental degree of respect from the teacher. But the teacher runs the classroom without question. It is not a democracy. It is not a popularity contest. It is not egalitarian.

Otherwise you have a bunch of entitled brats running the classroom. Evidently, that's perfectly okay with you.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Our parents and children have to read and sign a school handbook every year. These are two things that are grounds for police involvement and expulsion.
They should be. I'm stunned that we're just having a meeting with mom over this. Even though the item was inexpensive, there is NO EXCUSE for picking it up off of my desk and destroying it. NONE. IMO, he should have been, at the very least, suspended right then and there. Administration is too worried about keeping the funding in the school to expel anyone.

This student has also threatened me and once approached me like he was going to slug me in front of the class. And the administration blames me for poor control in this classroom. With this kid modeling what you can get away with, I don't have a chance.

I don't know who took the items from my classroom but if they're caught, I would hope something is done. Somehow, I doubt it though. Unfortunately, these were my personal demos not school property so I get to replace them. I spent $61 yesterday ordering replacements because I need them for next week. If the other ones turn up, I'll send the ones I ordered back but I'm guessing they won't turn up.

It really bugs me that I can't leave interesting displays up in my room. I think they add something but if they're not safe if I'm not there to babysit them, then they'll be under lock and key until I use them.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:

You think respect is lost when a teacher tries to retrieve a note a child was trying to chew up? Why was the child eating the note? Was the teacher supposed to let them get away with eating the note?

The others I'll give you but if I tell a student to hand me a note, I'll be darned if they're going to eat it instead. I probably wouldn't grab it though. I'd just march them to the office and write them up for insubordination. I wouldn't want to touch their spit.

Remarks about medical conditions and a student's weight are uncalled for but those teachers are not the norm. I have kids/parents who abuse medical diagnosis to get their way but I keep my thoughts to myself. There's no winning there. They're not winning either but there's nothing I can do about it. Some parents just want every thing they can get instead of what their child really needs. You just have to bite your tongue and deal with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching