Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 10:25 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,242,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez181 View Post
No offense, but step into the shoes of a teacher......we get abused every day! You have no idea the amount of crap that you have to take from kids and parents, and respond to it with a smile on your face. You have kids whose parents do not respect teachers, and talk to you like you are the gum on his/her shoe! I have had things stolen off my desk, personal property destroyed, and have been screamed at because a student received a B on his/her report card. I work hard for my students, and do the best that I can on a daily basis. I also do my best to be respectful towards my students, and treat them the way I would want my own kids treated. Yet I still get abused? Whats the answer then? And don't say I am an example of a crappy teacher, because I am not, I was nominated for teacher of the year for crying out loud! eta:To be clear, I'm speaking of respect going from the teacher to student in this post.

My fault........don't think so, I did not raise these kids. Respect is not part of our society anymore......take a look around you.
I'm still not clear what people consider as respect to students other than a teacher doing what they're supposed to be doing, which is teaching. Some seem to be suggesting that respect goes beyond that, which again, is unclear to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,684,266 times
Quote:

No offense, but step into the shoes of a teacher......we get abused every day! You have no idea the amount of crap that you have to take from kids and parents, and respond to it with a smile on your face. You have kids whose parents do not respect teachers, and talk to you like you are the gum on his/her shoe! I have had things stolen off my desk, personal property destroyed, and have been screamed at because a student received a B on his/her report card. I work hard for my students, and do the best that I can on a daily basis. I also do my best to be respectful towards my students, and treat them the way I would want my own kids treated. Yet I still get abused? Whats the answer then? And don't say I am an example of a crappy teacher, because I am not, I was nominated for teacher of the year for crying out loud!

My fault........don't think so, I did not raise these kids. Respect is not part of our society anymore......take a look around you.

If you were teacher of the year doesn't that mean that your students respected you enough to nominate you. If so, why do you not like your students?

Old 10-16-2009, 10:36 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,089,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Perhaps I don't understand what you mean by the teacher respecting the student. When I think of respect in a classroom I think of students listenting, doing what they're told, and not disrupting the class. I don't see how this would translate to a teacher (doing what s/he's told, listening, not disrupting the class).

Well, I'm not a teacher, tho, I did teach in grad school. I did not suggest all kids do this. I'm not sure why you are being so defensive.
Let me apologize, I was mixing up your posts with someone elses, and confused the two together, so please accept my apology.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,242,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Let me apologize, I was mixing up your posts with someone elses, and confused the two together, so please accept my apology.
Ah, thanks (I was confused lol), and no problem. It's easy to do.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:08 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,618,189 times
Quote:

No offense, but step into the shoes of a teacher......we get abused every day! You have no idea the amount of crap that you have to take from kids and parents, and respond to it with a smile on your face. You have kids whose parents do not respect teachers, and talk to you like you are the gum on his/her shoe! I have had things stolen off my desk, personal property destroyed, and have been screamed at because a student received a B on his/her report card. I work hard for my students, and do the best that I can on a daily basis. I also do my best to be respectful towards my students, and treat them the way I would want my own kids treated. Yet I still get abused? Whats the answer then? And don't say I am an example of a crappy teacher, because I am not, I was nominated for teacher of the year for crying out loud!

Do you teach in the same school I do? I wish this was unusual. It's not. I think this has something to do with the attrition rate for teachers being as high as it is. A significant number never make it past year 5.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
No one is denying that the kids should do what they are told. But, you were saying they should respect you and you shouldnt have to respect them.

Not all kids are disrespectful, and not all kids are going to not do as they are told.

you make it sound like all kids are this way. If that is the case, you are in the wrong profession.
I will answer this. I do not feel a need to respect my students until they've done something worthy of respect. Respect is earned through accomplishments and demonstration of character. To respect someone is to hold them in esteem, to look up to them. You don't hold people in esteem just for showing up to class. If you want me to look up to you, you need to do something to earn that. It's not a given.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:46 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,089,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I will answer this. I do not feel a need to respect my students until they've done something worthy of respect. Respect is earned through accomplishments and demonstration of character. To respect someone is to hold them in esteem, to look up to them. You don't hold people in esteem just for showing up to class. If you want me to look up to you, you need to do something to earn that. It's not a given.

So please tell, what does a student of yours have to do to earn your respect?

And yes held in high esteem is one definition of respect, but it is not limited to that.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 13,445 times
I agree 100%

Old 10-16-2009, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 13,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
The news is full of stories recently about how terrible the schools are in America and how we are slipping behind the rest of the world. Of course the group that gets the most blame is the teachers. The second amount of blame goes to the Principal and the rest of the blame goes towards the school administrators and bureaucrats.

If a failing school in the worst neighborhood in the City does not do as well as the school in a rich suburb with parents who are doctors, lawyers, and scientists with high IQ's and PHD's, then the failing school's Teachers and Principal are fired.

Why won't the media admit the problem with American schools are: uninterested parents, a messed up popular culture and students who are more interested in acting out than learning?

Do you think the Teachers and Principals should get most of the blame for the problems in American Schools?
I think the issue is not who is responsible for the low grades, lack of interest, etc.. It is about finding solutions to this mess.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
So please tell, what does a student of yours have to do to earn your respect?

And yes held in high esteem is one definition of respect, but it is not limited to that.
What every person who earns respect does. Demonstrate good character. Do what you say you will do. Follow the rules. Do what is expected of you. Accomplish something. These, BTW are all things that teachers have done before they set foot in the classroom. You don't get the job without a background check, without having followed the rules and gotten the proper certifications. Without accomplishing something. Without proving you know your material. I'm still trying to figure out why I have students who think they don't have to respect me or my authority unless I first respect them. I've earned my position. They just showed up to school.

I know I'm not alone in saying that I look up to people who have demonstrated, by their actions, that they are people to be looked up to. If you're a student of mine and you want me to look up to you, you need to demonstrate that you are someone worthy of being looked up to. We don't respect Bill Gates because he exists, we respect him because of what he has done.

And yes, I have students who have done that. They've demonstrated good character, good decision making ability, I know they're true to their word, they don't show disrespect to those who are in positions of authority....the list goes on. There are lots of ways you can show me and everyone else that you are someone who should be looked up to. However, it's not a given that you are. Respect is something you earn through positive actions.

I expect my students to do their work, put in their best effort and do what they tell me they are going to do. If they want me to look up to them, to hold them in esteem, which is what respect means, they're going to have to show me that they are someone to look up to.

Respect is not free. It's conditional on things like position. When I stand in front of the classroom, I'm the person in charge. I'm the authority figure. The subject matter expert. When I sit in a graduate class, it's the professor. When I'm in a meeting with my administration, it's my principal and for her the superintendent when she's in a meeting.

To today's youth, all too often, they only show respect to someone who will do something for them. They have no respect for accomplishments or character. I'm reminded almost daily that other teachers let kids get away with things I do not. I'm not other teachers. I have my own character to answer to. Yes my standards are high. IMO, standards aren't worth having if they aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching