Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:32 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,866,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc.random View Post
If that is the case then wouldn't there be no postings at all after awhile? If you had an opening like the one above it should take at most a week to fill the spot.

Things are just not adding up............any HR insiders know?
Most of the jobs are filled by someone on the inside. Most schools have no intention of hiring new teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:35 PM

125 posts, read 1,039,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Most of the jobs are filled by someone on the inside. Most schools have no intention of hiring new teachers.
So true.....I recently contacted the head recruiter for a large school district in CA and he said that there hasn't been an opening for a middle school math teacher in over 1.5 YEARS!!!! not one! and i naively thought math was in demand.

yet universities are churning out teachers left and right

Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,434,823 times
After reading your other posts, consider it a blessing that you're unable to find a teaching job.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,556,943 times
Colleges are "churning" out graduates period. Unfortunately, a diploma does not come with a job attached, no reason ed majors should expect a job more then any other major.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:05 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,544 times
I have been saying this in other posts. The colleges are pumping out too many teachers. They have been doing this for years. Even before our current mess in many ways it is a con game. Bluebelt1234 is right most of the time they have no intention of hiring new teachers. They post it because they have to. They know they have someone already picked out. I see things in the media we need teachers year in year out. And for the most part this is not the case. Colleges are churning out way too many graduates period. Most fields are flooded and have been for some time. My issue is they selling teaching as the job of the future. Lots of kids are thinking hey they can not send it overseas. We will always need teachers. You got a pension and medical and the pay is ok down the road. The colleges know things are bad. So they sell it come be a teacher the retirements are around the bend. You will find a job somewhere but that is not the case. They know they have pumped out way to many to start with. Look if they told these kids you can be an ed major. But you will be going up against 200 to 300 would be teachers for one jobs. Kids might think this is a bad idea. Sure we need Math teachers and a few other areas. Most colleges of educations are made up of kids doing areas that have been flooded for years. The colleges know this they get their cash. Thus they could care less. That is why they sell the retirements are coming they have to. There are to few Special education and Math education majors to keep their doors open. So they have to sell kids on PE Art Social Studies ect. Otherwise deans and presidents of colleges would shut them down for having their numbers to low. At my college they talked about shutting down the Math dept to few majors. If colleges of education started being more open about the job outlook. Most would have to shut their doors. And they know it.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:56 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,544 times
Cleveland laying off 545 teachers. There is nowhere for these teachers to go. But you can bet colleges in the Cleveland area will pump out tons of teachers. But nobody needs them and all the states are broke.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:38 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,570,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Cleveland laying off 545 teachers. There is nowhere for these teachers to go. But you can bet colleges in the Cleveland area will pump out tons of teachers. But nobody needs them and all the states are broke.
Michigan always has graduated more teachers than we need. We're still doing it. It was only a few weeks back, I heard a news report about the "shortage" of math and science teachers when there isn't one.

An upswing in teacher jobs will also lag behind an area recovery in jobs. It will take time for taxes to come up and people to return to an area they are leaving. Unfortunately, it is not the career to be in today. Not by a mile.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:56 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Definitely...I confirmed this when I was in journalism, and covering ed/school boards beats. Just because a job is posted, as it is often legally required to be, doesn't mean that it isn't already filled, off the record. My dad was a school board member for over two decades, many of them spent as president, and he waged a usually one-man fight against this type of charade within his district, but few backed him up...lots of people promising out jobs, lots of done deals.

It's really not that different than in the private sector, where jobs are promised out all the time. It's just that because of public funding, there are requirements set up to ostensibly keep the hiring practices fair, but just like in the private sector, much wheeling and dealing is done behind closed doors.
so very true and so much federal system OPM and county and city, many many non existant jobs are on the board to meet procedural requirements. we as a people do so much of this, advertise things we have no intention of selling it runs deep in the human nature.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:51 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,324,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc.random View Post
So true.....I recently contacted the head recruiter for a large school district in CA and he said that there hasn't been an opening for a middle school math teacher in over 1.5 YEARS!!!! not one! and i naively thought math was in demand.

yet universities are churning out teachers left and right
Middle school math is not in demand. What is in demand is teachers who are "HIGHLY QUALIFIED" according to No Child Left Behind Law requirements in AP Calculus and AP Physics. These are subjects that basically require a degree in physics or math to teach. and people with those degrees generally didn't go for secondary education; they work in business, government research, or universities, not high schools.

My son could probably go teach them right now(and make more than I do after 40 years) but he's on a university research track in nuclear physics.

Z

Old 04-23-2010, 06:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,556,943 times
I'd like to know what majors are guaranteed a job at graduation? Is it supposed to be the colleges job to only allow people to major in something where they will for sure be employed in upon graduation? My daughter graduated three years ago and has had a teaching job every year but we knew going in that there was a good possibility that she would be subbing or out of work when she was done.

Why is teaching any different then any other career?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching