Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:02 AM

400 posts, read 850,455 times

Advertisements

Do they typically pay the in-demand math and science teachers more or it the same deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 AM

4,880 posts, read 6,952,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
Do they typically pay the in-demand math and science teachers more or it the same deal?
In SD they pay the math and science teachers the same as jumping jack teachers (PE) which of course to a rational thinking person makes no sense at all.

Your pay is all based on years taught total, years taught at your current school, masters degree attained, and additional schooling on top of the current degree held (bachelors, masters, doctorate). The only place where wages are tiered based on the difficulty of the position and time spent seems to be in the extracurriculars.

Quality of the teacher doesn't matter. If that were a factor, then of course you run into the problem of determining who is a good teacher and who isn't (which is constantly bantered about on other threads).

Old 04-23-2010, 02:35 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,325,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I'd like to know what majors are guaranteed a job at graduation? Is it supposed to be the colleges job to only allow people to major in something where they will for sure be employed in upon graduation? My daughter graduated three years ago and has had a teaching job every year but we knew going in that there was a good possibility that she would be subbing or out of work when she was done.

Why is teaching any different then any other career?
As of the moment, school speech therapists and OT's are almost not available. We head hunted one from Florida to PA, but she left in a year because some other place offered to pay her more.

Yeah right about the college's job. Not likely.

Majors in math or physics with a minor in secondary education are almost guaranteed a job at the moment.

Winning football coaches can get a job anywhere.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:37 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,338,793 times
These are the areas of critical need that I copied from our district's website:
  • Family and Consumer Sciences
  • Mathematics
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physical Therapy
  • Physics
  • Special Education (All areas*)
  • Speech Pathology
  • Technology Education
*Learning Disabilities, Autism, Mental Retardation, Emotional Disability, Early Childhood Special Education

Old 04-24-2010, 01:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
Even the special services stuff isn't a guarantee in the current economy.

My brother got a job in a different state than where he and his speech-language pathologist wife have been living and working for the past five years. She's been looking for something comparable to her school SLP gig in the new state since he took the job several months ago, but prospects are slim. So right now, they're living in two different states, renting two different homes, and seeing one another on the weekends. Mid-school year is a tough time to be looking, of course, but the real issue is all the positions that are being cut for the next year due to state budgetary issues.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:17 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,867,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

My brother got a job in a different state than where he and his speech-language pathologist wife have been living and working for the past five years. She's been looking for something comparable to her school SLP gig in the new state since he took the job several months ago, but prospects are slim. So right now, they're living in two different states, renting two different homes, and seeing one another on the weekends. Mid-school year is a tough time to be looking, of course, but the real issue is all the positions that are being cut for the next year due to state budgetary issues.
Even math and science teachers are having trouble finding work in this economy. A former coworker of mine gave up looking for a math teaching job and just decided to go back to school. She said that it is just too hard to find a math teaching job.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:42 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,848,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
So true. Three SPED teachers at my school have already been notified that they're RIF'd for next year.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,579,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
I make less than many of the other teachers at the school. 1) I didn't realize that you need to negotiate your starting wage at a charter school (thought they had a stepped pay scale like public schools do.) and 2) since I teach lab based classes, I don't have time to do things like coach or proctor the after school credit recovery program for extra pay.

I won't find out if I have a job next year until June 11th. EEK!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
So true. Three SPED teachers at my school have already been notified that they're RIF'd for next year.
This is one of the times I'm thankful that I work for a private special ed school that's not dependent upon state funding...there are sacrifices, and I'd earn more working in public school, but I don't have to worry about state funding. With the economy as it is, I was worried that since so many of our families are private-pay, we'd lose students (and therefore teachers) due to parents losing jobs and other financial constraints, etc. But people do seem to find a way to drum up the money for their profoundly disabled kids, and that hasn't really happened. We are full to capacity despite the not insignificant expense of private, specialized ed.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:40 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,325,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Even math and science teachers are having trouble finding work in this economy. A former coworker of mine gave up looking for a math teaching job and just decided to go back to school. She said that it is just too hard to find a math teaching job.
It does depend on where to look. Looking in California or in any state where their budget problems are of epic proportions won't work. You do have to be willing to move to a place that is advertising such a position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching