Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 PM

119 posts, read 384,468 times

Advertisements

We have been down in Oak Ridge now for about 6 weeks and LOVE it! I can't imagine how we didn't live here our whole lives. We have sold our home in Indiana and close on a home here in Oak Ridge on July 6! Yay!

People here are really nice....and like LauraC...I don't speak with a southern accent...but I think with one already. haha

Cost of living here is sooooo much cheaper than in Indiana....and the no income tax is great! My DH is loving his job at ORNL and my son has already made many friends at his preschool.

I'm still looking for a job....but have faith that the right one will open up....I may have to commute to Knoxville...but honestly it only takes me about 15 minutes to get there....I've had six interviews in three weeks and have a second interview at the end of the week...and so I'm getting to be an old pro at finding my way around Knoxville too...haha Glad I can come home to Oak Ridge though!

We went to the Secret City festival and had a blast. I highly recommend anyone come to it next year. It really was worth it!

Well just checking in quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 08:06 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
So glad that you have found a home! Your comment on thinking with an accent is cute!! What field of work are you in? My hubby works in OR and we live in Maryville; commutes aren't so bad when you have such gorgeous scenery huh? I really wanted to go to the Festival but couldn't make it. I think that hik and LauraC might have gone?? We should all definitely meet up next year. Again, welcome and howdy!

Old 06-21-2007, 07:02 AM

661 posts, read 2,897,034 times
I always enjoy an update from people who have moved close by. Thanks for posting it.

I'm so glad things are working out for you and that you're happy with the area you chose. We're next door in Clinton and we feel the same way. This place is so convenient to everything, yet at the end of the day it's nice to come home to the peace and quiet of the woods.

Check in from time to time and let us know how the job hunt turned out.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
So glad that you have found a home! Your comment on thinking with an accent is cute!! What field of work are you in? My hubby works in OR and we live in Maryville; commutes aren't so bad when you have such gorgeous scenery huh? I really wanted to go to the Festival but couldn't make it. I think that hik and LauraC might have gone?? We should all definitely meet up next year. Again, welcome and howdy!
I'm not gone. Just give me until next week to start posting regularly, again. I just got my PC back from the repair shop and picked up high speed Internet yesterday from Comcast. My desk is supposed to come Saturday. After Saturday, I'll post regularly again. The library only gives you 2 hours per day on the Internet and I need that time for other things.

I took some great photos at the Secret City Festival and some photos around town. I'll post them next week although one of the best things at the festival (the Y-12 tour) no cameras were allowed. I couldn't remember the name of INAVE's church.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I looked for you, LauraC. So many people! I also sent you a PM. The festival is great!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:49 AM

I'm a graphic designer. Mostly I've had interviews in Knoxville...which was fine...the commute isn't that bad at all. I did apply for one job in Sevierville....and one in Maryville actually! Haven't heard back yet. One interview was here in Oak Ridge.....it seems really promising....we'll see.

We should hook up next year....or sometime. Get together for coffee or something.

Well off to do some laundry and cleaning. I also try to explore around town some during the days to get to know the place better. I'm really actually enjoying my "time off." haha

Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 AM

358 posts, read 999,728 times
Default I was there!!

Welcome, G. Yes, Laura, I was at the Festival...West Village Christian Church. Booth was between the Coldwell Banker booth and the children's petting zoo. Sorry to have missed everyone. I was at the booth from 8:30 until 11:30 Saturday morning and then spent 2 hours with grandson, mostly at the petting zoo. Things were a lot more crowded this year than last year. I like the idea of getting together in real life. Count me in.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Godsdove, my coworker is a graphic designer. He works with me NOT doing that and making $10 an hour. He's a life-long resident. Born in Clinton.

inave, I got to the festival too late. We got there about 12:30. LauraC told me where she was sitting, and I was sooooo close. She was sitting in a chair and i don't think I looked for anyone sitting down.

Lauren and I were at the petting zoo after the reenactment. We probably passed right by each other!

Old 06-21-2007, 06:29 PM

Inave....I was there at that time! I probably walked right by you! We spent a lot of time at the petting zoo too. My son loved it....the zebra snorted at me and spit on me. LOL He just wanted some love. haha We went to the renactment at the 3:15pm time....it was good....DS got a bit scared at one point but he made it through. We of course had to eat too much of the food there and we drank a lot of water. I loved walking through the crafts and antiques booths too. DH bought me a ring at one of the craft tents....only a $5 ring...but very pretty.

hiknapster....I've thought about trying to just do something else....but honestly I know I wouldn't be happy...so we are doing fine and I know something will come up very soon.

We ventured out to a local used bookstore tonight and it was awesome!!! I love this place.

Okay off to put my son to bed.

Ta-ta from Tennessee.....

Old 06-24-2007, 09:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
Welcome, G. Yes, Laura, I was at the Festival...West Village Christian Church. Booth was between the Coldwell Banker booth and the children's petting zoo. Sorry to have missed everyone. I was at the booth from 8:30 until 11:30 Saturday morning and then spent 2 hours with grandson, mostly at the petting zoo. Things were a lot more crowded this year than last year. I like the idea of getting together in real life. Count me in.
Okay, I just posted a photo of that booth. But, I was there on Friday. I did the first Y-12 tour Friday morning and then went over to the exhibits and booths near the library after the tour. On Saturday, I only went to the WWII reenactment. I thought that was your church (near the big tiger) booth but was afraid to ask for you by your posting name.

I told Hiknapster to look for me at the reenactment. I told her I would be wearing a blue tee shirt that said America. DUH! Me and a bazillion other people. Who knew there would be so many people? There were a lot less people on Friday (probably because many were at work). I think I read that they got 25,000 people, 5,000 more people than last year.

One disappointment --- after the Y-12 tour, I took my camera with me to the area where you were (main area of the festival) but because I had the camera, I was not allowed in to the indoor Oak Ridge history/military thing (there was a sign over the door about no cameras) and because I took the shuttle, I had no place to put it so I missed something I really wanted to see.

On the other hand, fake Elvis sat in my lap and sang to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee