Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:59 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times

Advertisements

CT electric rates are the highest in the country. By the time I pay my electric for lighting and a.c. plus the oil for heating in the winter, it costs about $4,000 a year. This is why I'm moving out of CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 10:34 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
My electric bill for the month ended July 17 (32 days) was $52.45. Consider that I am home more because I am retired. I have a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment. I have all electric appliances including a washer and dryer and central air. The month before it was about $8 - $10 less and I suspect, because of the heat wave in the high 90s - 102 that we have been having, that the next month's bill will be $8 - $10 more only because I've spent more time indoors.

I expect my bill to be lower in the winter because I don't turn the heat on unless it goes below 62 degrees indoors and I'm outside more when it's cold outside.

Does anyone here have their own pool? Does that make your electric bill go up a lot? I thought I read that in the Florida forum last year.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:06 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,584 times
My electric bill for NH averages about $160 a month and I keep every light off that I'm not using and my hot water is generated by a forced hot water heating system, and I have no A/C. I have an inground pool and I find that it only raises my light bill by a few dollars a month and I run the circulation system every day for at least an hour. There is no signifigant difference in the bill between summer and winter.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:44 AM

[quote=46Barb;1347002]CT electric rates are the highest in the country. QUOTE]

Why is that, do you think?

Forget about Tennessee and the TVA, for a minute. Why does the whole Northeast pay so much. It can't be the number of people. Maine, for example, with no really big cities (none with a population over 80,000) pays almost as much as you do.

See rate map:

http://www.kaec.org/images/stand/0607_RateMap.pdf

Old 08-25-2007, 07:26 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,856 times
Default Hot 'n Humid

Our bill last month was $188. That sounds pretty high to me. This month's should be a bit lower, as it's been cool and rainy lately, and we haven't been running the a/c very much. Hubby turns on the a/c more than I do, but he works outdoors in the heat and wants it cool at home. Me, I'm just as happy just opening doors and windows and getting the fresh air in. Altho, I turn it on at nite, just to sleep more comfortably.

I'm looking forward to the lower electric bills - they should make up for the higher temps. Just another reason to move to the Cumberland Plateau where I hear the temps run a little cooler. Depending on different events coming up, we may come down anywhere from end of November to March. Just depends on circumstances.

I've just discovered something. Right now, I'm working on my laptop. Every other time, I've been on my Mac. Seems the Mac strips away the Rich Text capabilities of replying on this site, like it does on my Hotmail. This site must run on MSN. I love my Mac, but unless you pay more for special software, it's limited. That's why I needed to buy this laptop so I could work on my websites, which are hosted on MSN. Oh well - there's always a trade-off!
I can insert photo's here, fonts, insert links, *sigh! I'll just have to use my laptop more often for certain things. I bought it not only for working on my websites, but for our trip to TN so I can communicate, take notes of areas and properties, and to download photo's.

blessings, Shen

Old 08-25-2007, 09:29 AM

203 posts, read 766,324 times
Thanks for that link, LauraC! I never really paid attention to what I was paying here in CA for my electricity. I just paid it. We'll be paying almost half as much when we finally move to TN. Sure glad I don't live in Hawaii though. Beautiful as it is, 20.5 cents is a bit much!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Old 08-25-2007, 11:10 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
I actually paid a lot less in CA. The beach climate was so temperate, I hardly ever had to use AC or heat. In TN, I have to use one or the other pretty much all the time, so my utilities have quadrupled for less than twice the square footage. It was a real shocker!

Something else I didn't expect: having to write separate checks for gas, electricity, water and trash. In LA, the last three are all on one bill and it's only billed every other month-- that's so much easier!

Old 08-25-2007, 11:43 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
I actually paid a lot less in CA. The beach climate was so temperate, I hardly ever had to use AC or heat. In TN, I have to use one or the other pretty much all the time, so my utilities have quadrupled for less than twice the square footage. It was a real shocker!

Something else I didn't expect: having to write separate checks for gas, electricity, water and trash. In LA, the last three are all on one bill and it's only billed every other month-- that's so much easier!
Why do you have to write separate checks for all that? I pay just the one check to KUB except for trash, which is covered in my city property taxes. Even when I lived in rural Knox County it was the same.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:22 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Why do you have to write separate checks for all that? I pay just the one check to KUB except for trash, which is covered in my city property taxes. Even when I lived in rural Knox County it was the same.
KUB for gas, LCUB for electric, First Utility for water, Tennessee Trash for trash (I live in the county). Plus, I have to pay $350 a year for the Rural Metro Fire Department-- can't get homeowners insurance without it. It's ridiculous... and I had to pay a separate hookup/initiation charge for each one, which added another $100+ to establish service.

And I don't live in the sticks-- I live close-in, not terribly far from the city line. What a racket!

Old 08-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Maybe because wherever they are moving to the city/town performs one service and the county or private company (sometimes trash) performs another? Just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee