Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 PM

529 posts, read 363,837 times

Advertisements

With it being the TSA. I don't fly,nor do I take a bus so really don't see the concern. I understand government is getting to large always has been that way but like napster said above until they are frisking me for no reason at some rest stop I will just do the best to stay low to the ground and stay out of the way.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Proof of birth with a raised seal.....marriage license if you changed your name....
Is that any different than it has always been? I really cant remember what documentation I had to show when I got my DL at 16. It has been a gazillion yrs. ago. I never changed my name on my DL when I got married. Made it easier when I got divorceda. I do remember getting a renewal and some poor kid just a week after school started was trying to get his DL but couldnt because he couldnt show he had decent grands for the yr. because school hadnt been in long enough to get a grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
No one asked me but I think the thread should be closed. The post had a political agenda and did not represent the facts.
I dont think it should be closed. It may have a political agenda, but it is TN politics. People need to know and discuss this type of issue. Im always torn on these issues of gov. interference in our private lives. One thing I like about TN is the lack of rules, regulations and gov interference. But I have seen much change over the years. At what point do we become complacent enough to give up our freedoms, that we perhaps take for granted, for the greater good. There are sacrifices that we must make but, it is always good to question.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Is that any different than it has always been? I really cant remember what documentation I had to show when I got my DL at 16. It has been a gazillion yrs. ago. I never changed my name on my DL when I got married. Made it easier when I got divorceda. I do remember getting a renewal and some poor kid just a week after school started was trying to get his DL but couldnt because he couldnt show he had decent grands for the yr. because school hadnt been in long enough to get a grade.

I dont think it should be closed. It may have a political agenda, but it is TN politics. People need to know and discuss this type of issue. Im always torn on these issues of gov. interference in our private lives. One thing I like about TN is the lack of rules, regulations and gov interference. But I have seen much change over the years. At what point do we become complacent enough to give up our freedoms, that we perhaps take for granted, for the greater good. There are sacrifices that we must make but, it is always good to question.
Mrs.B and I never showed a marriage license or birth certificate 5 years ago.....Don't know if I have one come to think of it....

No, the thread should not be closed or moved.
I'm not going to bury my head in the sand like it doesn't exist over more government control.....

Old 10-23-2011, 09:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
There is a fine line between government watching out for terrorists and crossing the line into individuals rights and privacy. Agreed. Cheney and Bush took a lot of criticism for requesting phone records, internet search records. And I have been a strong advocate for probable cause since my reporter days. I've seen far too many law enforcement officers in Florida go far beyond their boundaries and it is actively encouraged by their departments.

But this thread was started by someone from another state and on a premise that isn't true. No one is asking "papers please." The feds are at weigh stations looking at trucks.

And they are saying there is no specific threat. Sounds doubtful. Why this state?

Then the accusation was made regarding the driver's licenses, that TN was second in line. Not true.

Turns out this really isn't a TN issue but everyone wants to make it one. A quick glance by someone wanting to move here is going to get the wrong impression. This is a federal matter on all accounts. Heck, most of the truck drivers that will be "affected" we probably be from somewhere else.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:08 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
It was Tennessee officials who invited the TSA to assist with truck inspections.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
It was Tennessee officials who invited the TSA to assist with truck inspections.
Not according to your link.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:16 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
"Where is a terrorist more apt to be found? Not these days on an airplane more likely on the interstate," said Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security Commissioner Bill Gibbons.

Tuesday Tennessee was first to deploy VIPR simultaneously at five weigh stations and two bus stations across the state.
Sounds like it to me. And I didn't even notice at first, but Tennessee deployed VIPR teams to two bus stations, though that wasn't detailed in the story. So much for the lack of concern because this is only occurring at weigh stations.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Then the accusation was made regarding the driver's licenses, that TN was second in line. Not true.

Turns out this really isn't a TN issue but everyone wants to make it one. A quick glance by someone wanting to move here is going to get the wrong impression. This is a federal matter on all accounts. Heck, most of the truck drivers that will be "affected" we probably be from somewhere else.
I did NOT say TN was second in line..... I said TN will probably enforce it next year around April is the target. TN has to come up with the money to pay for an approved secure database to store all the vital information.

My question is...."will it stop with only truck drivers"....

Old 10-24-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Florida implemented it this year....I hear TN will follow next year and the costs will be Millions for the data storage.....

[/url]

Love ya, Bones, but that's the way it came across to me.

Either way, we can now all agree that it is a federal plan and the link you provided says so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Sounds like it to me. And I didn't even notice at first, but Tennessee deployed VIPR teams to two bus stations, though that wasn't detailed in the story. So much for the lack of concern because this is only occurring at weigh stations.
Sure doesn't sound like it to me.

You get TN invited the feds down from that?

Quote:
"Where is a terrorist more apt to be found? Not these days on an airplane more likely on the interstate," said Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security Commissioner Bill Gibbons.

Tuesday Tennessee was first to deploy VIPR simultaneously at five weigh stations and two bus stations across the state.
Regarding bus stations or even drinking water, railway stations, better safe than sorry. I lived not far from where the terrorists learned how to fly, in Florida back then. Too bad that didn't cause red flags. Now, I don't live far from The Oak Ridge National Laboratory. I'd like to be safe. And believe me, there is a very good chance that is why the feds are crawling around this state. I say good for them.

But this article is on every survivalist and conspiracy website.

You know there are entire websites now devoted to how the Denver Airport has swastikas all over their facility if you look hard enough. What that is suppose to mean is beyond me. But I guess we can validate anything if we look hard enough.

Anyway, over and out. This thread created what it was intended, controversy and hysteria. I'm done.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
And it went way off topic. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee