Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 PM

29 posts, read 56,715 times

Advertisements

I am newly retired, looking for a place to be. Set up to explore Tennessee next month just looking for where to start exploring.
My criteria:

Good health care, several heart attacks, bypass, pacemaker
Hunting, deer, turkey, bear small game; thats all I do! want a place where I can just walk out and be there
Lots of land and Less than $1000 per acre
Banjo & Guitar Player so good music venues, festivals,

any suggestion appreciated

Rob S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 06:46 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,515,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wis-ski View Post
I am newly retired, looking for a place to be. Set up to explore Tennessee next month just looking for where to start exploring.
My criteria:

Good health care, several heart attacks, bypass, pacemaker
Hunting, deer, turkey, bear small game; thats all I do! want a place where I can just walk out and be there
Lots of land and Less than $1000 per acre
Banjo & Guitar Player so good music venues, festivals,

any suggestion appreciated

Rob S
Hi wis-ski and welcome to the forum,

Congrats on the retirement! Do you want to be in East, Middle or West TN? Generally quick access to healthcare and affordable and abundant land and low prices don't go together. What do you consider a lot of land? How far are you willing to be away from healthcare? Do yo want to be close to a cardiac center? I am in East TN and I rarely (and can't recall the last time) see acreage at such a low price. I suppose it is out there (I am not in the real estate business) and perhaps it is in middle or West TN, but don't get your heart set on it.

Great cardiac care is available in the major cities. I am speaking of Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville. Good cardiac care is available in Cookeville, Kingsport. Smaller cities such as Crossville, Murfreesboro send cardiac care out to the bigger cities which costs precious time.

As far as the music goes, you can't go wrong anywhere in the state. Festivals are also abundant!

I am sure others will answer as well. Hope we can help you explore TN online before you arrive.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

I am currently about 1 hour from my doctors. Don't think I would like to be much farther,

Open to anywhere, I have been told that the terrain gets tougher to the east, but I understand climate is more moderate,

I have 40 acres presently, but it is bordered on 2 sides by a National Forest so it seems like it is much larger. Would have to consider anything less very closely.

Has been suggested to look towards the west, Hickman/Humphreys counties because of the potential for better game in those areas.

Just looking for some place to start my search

Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,579,481 times
for health reasons I woulld stay close to one of the bigger cities ie... Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville or Memphis and in the order posted........

Old 03-17-2014, 08:27 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,376 times
Looks like the 1000/acre price point gets you a pretty beat, picked-over property. Once you get into the 2000+ though you get gorgeous land.

Tennessee Land for sale, Tennessee Acreage for Sale, Tennessee Lots for Sale at LandWatch.com

Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 PM

Thanks all,

Property price is flexible , I guess. I guess we all would like cheap, but quality land, if that exists anymore? Me, I guess I am looking for the best deal, meth free, crime free, drama free location

Old 03-18-2014, 08:08 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,515,021 times
Quote:
Thanks all,

Property price is flexible , I guess. I guess we all would like cheap, but quality land, if that exists anymore? Me, I guess I am looking for the best deal, meth free, crime free, drama free location
Well now that you added meth free you are going to have to move along. LOL Just Kidding! What you are looking for exists but it is becoming increasingly difficult to find. Once you identify a particular area of the state, a realtor will be able to help.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,376 times
Quote:
Thanks all,

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1395247771
Attached Thumbnails
relocation, again-white.jpg  

Old 03-28-2014, 02:08 PM

51 posts, read 76,922 times
We too are looking to relocate to TN. Seniors with just SS but we can handle a $100,000 home loan. Looking for friendly neighbors, safe neighborhood. Need "boots on the ground" to give information. So hard to come by oddly enough. RE agents won't take pictures even if you offer to PAY them. Don't expect anything for free, but couldn't figure this one out.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:37 PM

Been struggling with this myself, finding the realtors I have contacted are not very helpful. I have been trying to narrow my search area! I will be making the trip down for 2 weeks in May. Hopefully being there in person will help. Have several counties I have an interest in but the realtors and limited pics are telling me very little. I am still trying to find a decent realtor, I have a friend who has purchased property in NC, SC and Virginia over the past 15 years and he tells me "Good Luck" he has never found any that are worth a !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee