Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:54 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,785 times

Advertisements

My guesses:
- Get away from the intense heat, humidity, and wildlife (mosquitoes, snakes, spiders) without moving too far north. Tennessee has excellent compromise weather (IMO).
- Based on the opinions of various people I follow who do news commentary, Florida is the nation's capitol for craziness in general. Getting away from crazy people is another reason.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:07 PM
JRR

8,161 posts, read 5,654,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
We are planning on retiring to the Cookeville TN area. next year. Reasons we are leaving Central FL are the hot humid weather here, a real change of seasons, more interesting landscape, cost of living (Cookeville is less), less traffic, less crime and less angry people. Then there is the coming water crisis in Florida. The Floridan Aquifer is being depleted and saltwater intrusion into drinking water wells is becoming a problem in areas near the coasts. But immense amounts of water keeps getting thrown on lawns and gold courses to keep them green.
I neglected to mention our political leadership. Our state politicians are not exactly the best and the brightest (that goes for both parties).

Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I neglected to mention our political leadership. Our state politicians are not exactly the best and the brightest (that goes for both parties).
Again, the same could be said for TN. Most people everywhere find their politicians lacking, but TN recently made the news for trying to make the Bible the official state book. Being from the Tri-Cities, I've always thought local leadership has been completely inept at retaining educated, entrepreneurial locals, luring in quality jobs from outside the area, and generating jobs organically. Maybe local government elsewhere in the state is more competent - I don't know.

I think Haslam has gone a generally good job, but most of his tenure has only benefited greater Nashville. Northeast TN feels completely left behind. I'm a Republican and got to know Ron Ramsey somewhat almost ten years ago, and I think the guy is a total buffoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNomad143 View Post
What do you do Emigrations?
I support trading processes at a company that makes software for the financial services sector. It sounds sexier than it really is, and there are several companies in this line of work. I've applied for these kinds of jobs, as well as general IT support and sys admin roles in the past. I got very few call backs for the supposed booming market, and when I did, the pay was way below market of cheaper Midwestern metros like Indy, Kansas City, and St. Louis.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 05-19-2015 at 08:27 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 11:11 AM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNomad143 View Post
Being from Florida I will say a lot of it has to be the idea that there are a lot of jobs and they believe the cost of living is cheaper up here in TN. In case anyone from Florida reads this, it isn't cheaper in Tennessee. Sure it is if you want to live in the country woods -- far from ANYTHING.

Here is a few examples...

If you live in Largo, FL -- a town in Pinellas County that is outside of Tampa, FL and you want to move to Franklin, TN
and you make a household income of 100K a year, you would need to make 147K in Franklin, TN in order to have the SAME lifestyle you had in Florida.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Next example. IF you lived in Melbourne, FL and you wanted to move to Brentwood, TN, again making a household income of 100K a year... you will need to make $177K a year in Brentwood, TN.

Picking another nice town that many are flocking to, Mount Juliet. Again, making 100K and moving FROM Orlando, FL

You would need to make 111K in Mount Juliet, TN to keep that same Florida lifestyle.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I used 100K because it is a clean number, but you can switch the numbers around if you want to.

!
Franklin and Brentwood are probably two of the most expensive areas you could pick in TN. Cost of living would be substantially less just about anywhere else in the state simple due to real estate cost...

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:50 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 12:30 PM

672 posts, read 810,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Franklin and Brentwood are probably two of the most expensive areas you could pick in TN. Cost of living would be substantially less just about anywhere else in the state simple due to real estate cost...

Yep, I agree.

DigitalNomad143, Is Largo, FL and Melbourne, FL Florida's equivalent to Tennessee's Franklin and Brentwood?

Since those are the most affluent In Tn should you not be comparing them to more affluent parts of Florida?

You can make it state anything you want by comparing different areas. You choose the the most affluent county in Tn to make the comparison to below average Fl areas.

Using your same calculator.

Palm Beach

A salary of $100,000 in Palm Beach, Florida could decrease to $59,747 in Franklin, Tennessee

Naples
A salary of $100,000 in Naples, Florida could decrease to $70,481 in Franklin, Tennessee

A salary of $100,000 in Pinecrest, Florida could decrease to $57,226 in Franklin, Tennessee

Last edited by Yac; 05-27-2015 at 06:10 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 04:08 PM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Well I live in both states and have no intention to leave either one. I've lived in Florida for almost 40 yrs... my 4 kids grew up (youngest is 23) in FL and were educated in FL. All the kids still in FL, less one, who works in CA. They all love TN as well. We are out-doors-y people. We all hunt, fish,shoot (not the wife) travel, enjoy boating, the kids snow ski (not me anymore), dive, hike, and big time Bluegrassers!

Want water stuff... what better place than FL?
Want hiking and huntin'... what better place than TN?

I want it all and got it all. Those Yankees can't take the heat... so they get out of the kitchen. If you spend your days runnin' from one air conditioned environment to another ... well they ain't never gonna get use to the heat. Everyone loves our winters though.

I'm a Dolphin fan and a Vols fan..... fair and balanced. what we need is more Tennesseans in FL.... y'all got plenty of us. You do know I-75 goes south too

I've always said... ban AC and watch FL empty out... then it would be like it was 40 yrs ago.

... just sayin'

Old 06-02-2015, 08:32 PM

43 posts, read 166,648 times
I have lived in both states and at the end of the day Florida is hard to beat especially the big cities if you like diverisity

Old 06-14-2015, 03:48 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,830 times
Larghetto is a small cog in a very large wheel. For the most part that town has more trailer parks than anywhere I've ever lived. Clearwater to the north has better demographics to compare to Franklin or Murfreesboro.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:51 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Larghetto is a small cog in a very large wheel. For the most part that town has more trailer parks than anywhere I've ever lived. Clearwater to the north has better demographics to compare to Franklin or Murfreesboro.
I was in Clearwater for a bit in January. It has nowhere near the level of wealth or prestige of Franklin.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:14 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,830 times
Clearwater about twenty years ago, was the hub of Pinellas county - it had everything going for it. Now it's a shadow of it's former self - but it does have cultural programs found nowhere else in Fla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee