Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 11:04 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltaz View Post
Good luck, I hope that storm doesn't cause any real damage there. What side of the state are you? Looks like the east side will bear the brunt of this. I went through several hurricanes living there 35 years. That is yet another thing that I do not miss about Florida.
Hi. We are in Altamonte Springs on the north side of Orlando. Right now the forecast for Thursday night/Friday for us is sustained winds of around 45-50 mph with gusts to around 65. But you know how that goes; any edging of the storm to the west brings us even heavier winds along with the rain. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays offshore.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:15 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
One more reason that I won't shed any tears about leaving Florida for Tennessee. The track for hurricane Matthew has shifted significantly westward, and it now appears that it may come close to Florida or make landfall as a major hurricane. Having been here for the three storms in 2004, I have been hoping to get through my last year here without any problems. It is going to be an interesting next couple of days.
Today's news highlights one of the major reasons we are taking in so many people from Florida. I feel for y'all on this hurrican thing you go through year after year. We have warm mild weather, hundreds of miles from the ocean and it's hurricanes and better yet no pythons. Come on up.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:51 AM

345 posts, read 531,169 times
^I agree with you. The ocean is overrated to me. Mountains/hills/interesting topography/rivers/lakes>>>>>>>>Ocean.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:52 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,399,070 times
Florida still has about 3x the population of TN (and about 2x population of Georgia), so I suppose there are a lot of people who like the Sunshine State. Though, I suspect there are a number of folks who moved there from the Frost Belt, only to discover that too much sun and heat isn't all that wonderful either.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:25 PM

11 posts, read 17,864 times
Thank you for all these posts. Nashville seems like a great idea to me now

Old 10-11-2016, 08:26 PM

11 posts, read 17,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
^I agree with you. The ocean is overrated to me. Mountains/hills/interesting topography/rivers/lakes>>>>>>>>Ocean.
I Agree!!!

Old 10-15-2016, 08:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This is exactly my point. In post after post you compare weather, allergies, pollutants, yet Tennessee and Florida are very large states. Be specific!
OK, In the Knoxville area where I live, Seymour, close to the Smokies the air quality rating is generally about twice the number as along say the beach near Daytona, Fl. IN the moderate zone (Yellow) usually while that area in FL is in the good (Green) and this summer it was in the Green while where I live was in the unhealthy for sensitive groups (Orange) most of the time. It was usually three (3) times the rating by number as that area of FL.

People can check throughout the day at:

https://weather.weatherbug.com/life/...ymour-tn-37865

You are correct that the States are large, but the air will always be better near the ocean. It isn;t just the weather but other issues like air pollution.

I love the beauty of this area and the friendly people and the proximity to many things I enjoy, but health comes first. So I may have to move.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:08 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
OK, In the Knoxville area where I live, Seymour, close to the Smokies the air quality rating is generally about twice the number as along say the beach near Daytona, Fl. IN the moderate zone (Yellow) usually while that area in FL is in the good (Green) and this summer it was in the Green while where I live was in the unhealthy for sensitive groups (Orange) most of the time. It was usually three (3) times the rating by number as that area of FL.

People can check throughout the day at:

https://weather.weatherbug.com/life/...ymour-tn-37865

You are correct that the States are large, but the air will always be better near the ocean. It isn;t just the weather but other issues like air pollution.

I love the beauty of this area and the friendly people and the proximity to many things I enjoy, but health comes first. So I may have to move.
Check the air quality out west of Knoxville. At least as far west as Crossville or even Cookeville. I am. No longer care for beaches.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Check the air quality out west of Knoxville. At least as far west as Crossville or even Cookeville. I am. No longer care for beaches.
Correct, it depends on where in the State. On the other hand while I love where I live, I also grew up at the beaches in SoCal and wanna be back near a beach.

Air quality is the problem for me, Getting older is just no fun.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:31 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Correct, it depends on where in the State. On the other hand while I love where I live, I also grew up at the beaches in SoCal and wanna be back near a beach.

Air quality is the problem for me, Getting older is just no fun.
I checked both Crossville and Cookeville today and both were good. The higher elevation may me the reason for improvement. Don't know. I just have a place for a large garden and some dwarf fruit trees waiting. To me a paradise. Most everything but citrus will grow there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee