Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 04:54 PM

15 posts, read 15,487 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both, and have a love/hate with both. There is no perfect place to live, unfortunately, hehe. Heat and humidity is horrendous both places. We actually find it more expensive to live in Tennessee - but, as with anywhere, it's where you choose to live (what county...). Moving back to Tennessee, after living in Florida, I miss the sun and warmth the most (yes, the heat of summer is horrendous, but most of the rest of the time it feels cold to me). I got used to so much sun in Florida, and it's hard not having anywhere near that amount now.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:43 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
While it's not carved in stone the stone is in place for a move to TN as soon as my better half retires. We have made the trek to TN for 2 years and in a few weeks we will be back spying out the land. No place is a utopia but TN has somethings I miss. Being a FL native I know a lot of the sections of this state and none offer to me what TN can. I studied a lot of places for over a year before joining this forum. About the only thing we will be giving up is saltwater fishing. 4 seasons vs 1 1/2. We have spent 20 years of our adult lives scraping ice and shoveling snow either in MO or MI. That can happen in TN we know but not having to get out and go to work and keep a tight schedule it doesn't bother us. TN is more central to other areas of the US that we would like to travel to. FL has a big drawback in that to see Yellowstone tack on a whole lot more miles. We have met a lot of very nice folks in TN. Never saw the low life types of big cities in a smaller TN town we have been looking very hard at. Change is gonna come.
Be aware of air quality issues as I will probably be moving to East coast FL as in East TN it is ... BAD.

My wife and I looked for 3 years for a place to move and decided on East TN (From CA). Now 7 years later, while we love the area and people, the air quality is a health issue for me and the lack of many things we enjoy make FL far better for us. Worth moving to TN, yes, if you have no health issues air quality will impact or allergies.

Uniquely lately the temp and humidity in FL has been lower than where I now live in TN

The Beach negates a lot of that in FL, but in TN, learn to endure it.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Be aware of air quality issues as I will probably be moving to East coast FL as in East TN it is ... BAD.

My wife and I looked for 3 years for a place to move and decided on East TN (From CA). Now 7 years later, while we love the area and people, the air quality is a health issue for me and the lack of many things we enjoy make FL far better for us. Worth moving to TN, yes, if you have no health issues air quality will impact or allergies.

Uniquely lately the temp and humidity in FL has been lower than where I now live in TN

The Beach negates a lot of that in FL, but in TN, learn to endure it.
It's the dew point that makes Florida feel so much worse. Don't be fooled.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:32 AM

13 posts, read 31,610 times
If you don't think living in FL in the heat and humidity will affect your breathing, you're wrong. We have several friends with heart conditions and they have to leave in the summer. If you haven't spent an entire summer down here, you should. I know it's hot and humid in TN, as well as other places, but at least it doesn't last for 8-10 months a year. One of the reasons we're moving. As far as allergies, nothing here dies - there's no "winter" to kill off allergans. I have family members who suffer 365 days a year. Not trying to be negative, just letting you know.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:52 PM

121 posts, read 162,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june0602 View Post
If you don't think living in FL in the heat and humidity will affect your breathing, you're wrong. We have several friends with heart conditions and they have to leave in the summer. If you haven't spent an entire summer down here, you should. I know it's hot and humid in TN, as well as other places, but at least it doesn't last for 8-10 months a year. One of the reasons we're moving. As far as allergies, nothing here dies - there's no "winter" to kill off allergans. I have family members who suffer 365 days a year. Not trying to be negative, just letting you know.
Well said. Yes it can get warm and humid in Tennessee it is nothing like what summer in Florida is like. Take it from someone who has lived in both places. Most of the heat and humidity is confined to the valley and large cities here in Tennessee. If you are in a higher elevation such as the Smoky Mountains or the Cumberland Plateau the heat and humidity is manageable most of the time. Florida in particular South Florida the heat and humidity goes on months on end. Just the past winter it was still 90 degrees on Christmas in SW Florida. Florida is great place to visit in the winter but it is a whole different thing getting through the summer months which can extend well into the late fall.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It's the dew point that makes Florida feel so much worse. Don't be fooled.
I know and the humidity including the Dew Point was equal or worse in East Tennessee . Surprised me. I checked it every day and could not believe it was the same or worse in E TN. Not now, but it has been that way for quite a few days this summer. One whole week when I was in FL it was worse in E TN.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:53 AM

7 posts, read 25,559 times
My wife and I are in our early 60's and live in Jacksonville, FL. Jax is a good place to live, but we just can't take the heat and humidity anymore. Can barely go for a walk in the mornings in July and Aug. Also - our grand kids live near Knoxville. That's why we want to move.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:59 AM

13 posts, read 31,610 times
Default Reading this board, it sounds like a lot of people from FL are moving to TN.

We are going to miss our kids and grandkids terribly, but we feel at this point in our lives, we want an "adventure." We've talked about moving to TN for almost 10 years now. The heat/humidity is just something we can't tolerate anymore. We also miss the change of seasons, fall being our favorite. But Sparta will only be a 9 to 10-hour drive to our oldest daughter's home and from there, we can drive to our other daughters' homes to visit and then back to TN. We also have relatives "back home" in Iowa and that's only a day's drive also. So praying everything works out for us. Like I told my husband, if and when the time comes that we need to move closer to one of our daughters due to health reasons and/or old age, then we'll move back. No biggie. Life is too short not to try something new.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I know and the humidity including the Dew Point was equal or worse in East Tennessee . Surprised me. I checked it every day and could not believe it was the same or worse in E TN. Not now, but it has been that way for quite a few days this summer. One whole week when I was in FL it was worse in E TN.
I lived in Southwest Florida for 10 years.

I've lived in Knoxville, Tenn for 11 years.

When we first went on a recon visit to Chattanooga to see if we would like living in Tennessee, we were surprised that the temp and humidity were the SAME down in Southwest Florida, yet it seemed so much COOLER up in Chattanooga.

When we got back to Southwest Florida, we were surprised by how unbelievably sticky it was down there, yet it was the SAME temperature and humidity down there.

Every time we would go up to Chattanooga or Knoxville it would be the same temp and humidity, yet it felt so much more pleasant!

Finally, someone explained the dew point to us.

You aren't looking at the same dew point at say, Naples, Florida and Knoxville, Tenn.

Right now, in Knoxville, there is a dew point of 60 degrees.

In Naples, Florida there is a dew point of 74 degrees.

Let's break that down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

Scroll down to the chart. It should now make sense why the temp and humidity can be the same yet, get past Tampa and it feels like you hit a wall of water.

You want to move to Florida and think it's going to feel cooler, more power to you. But I wanted to clarify the situation.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:44 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,569,549 times
Hopefully we sign a contract for a plateau property by the first of October. Trading zone 9 for 6B. After sorting through dozens of places looks like we have the top two on the target. I don't know why but there's thousands of homes for sale in just one county in the general area where we are relocating to. After several stays there it's time to call it home. It serves our interest for retirement and gardening better than our home state of Florida. As for jobs in Florida I have a new neighbor from Cookeville who works in the medical field. He's paid better here. The job market I would think hinges on ones education in any state, not just Florida or Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee