Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 07:46 PM

19 posts, read 152,765 times

Advertisements

Are there mosquitoes in TN? or what other bugs and animals are common and troublesome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 PM

60 posts, read 308,717 times
SNAKES!!! You have to watch out for copperheads. They like to sneak under boards, stones, etc. laying about in the yards. And unlike rattlesnakes, they WON'T just leave you alone if you leave them alone. They are very aggressive! You never saw Steve Irwin (rest in peace) handling a copperhead and saying, "Isn't she a beaut?" Anywhere in the country, you have to keep that in mind. A family I used to know built a home with BEAUTIFUL views on top of Buck Mountain near Cookeville only to discover there was a nest of copperheads right near their front porch! Took awhile to clear those little darlins' out!

Old 02-13-2007, 05:00 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,381 times
Default Oh no

Not snakes. I hate snakes. Is that a problem all over TN?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:00 AM

117 posts, read 488,472 times
What about spiders? After looking on the internet, does TN have a lot of brown recluse or black widow spiders? How big are the copperhead snakes?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,657,750 times
Skeeters and chiggers, hate them both and we have an overabundance of both!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:41 AM

141 posts, read 981,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen1972 View Post
What about spiders? After looking on the internet, does TN have a lot of brown recluse or black widow spiders? How big are the copperhead snakes?
Yes, they are both here. I see black widows all the time, but the recluses are...reclusive.

Copperheads are fat and short. Less than 3ft. Lived in TN for years and have only seen one or two. Water moccasins, on the other hand...

We also have annual cicadas, but I don't consider those a pest as I love their song in the summer.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:59 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
Yes, they are both here. I see black widows all the time, but the recluses are...reclusive.

Copperheads are fat and short. Less than 3ft. Lived in TN for years and have only seen one or two. Water moccasins, on the other hand...

We also have annual cicadas, but I don't consider those a pest as I love their song in the summer.
Oh, don't forget those pesky 17-year cicadas! Now those things are insane, NOISY all day long for a couple of weeks. But I do respect the fact that they come out of the ground only once every 17 years, and only to have sex. heh heh But then they leave behind those gross cicada shells attached to leaves. I think the ones around Knoxville should make their appearance again in 14 years.

At any rate, I've lived in Tennessee off and on since 1975, I've been camping and hiking all over this state from near Johnson City to Shelby Forest near Memphis and places in between. I have never seen a copperhead. I've never seen a cottonmouth (water moccasin), either, but I also don't go swimming in stagnant water.

I think that people who are hysterical over--horrors--a few mosquitos or garden snakes should just give up and live in a high-rise somewhere and not bother with a beautiful place like Tennessee which I'm convinced God designed for people who love the outdoors.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:25 PM

Great posts jmt and milo. I have never seen a copperhead either. We have hiked the hills both in Big Frog and Savage Gulf and not one was found. Now, a garden snake, you betcha! Yeah, the cicadas are weird. Have you ever seen one "just shelled"? Looks like a living animated pistachio lol Wierd green color. I too love their song. It's almost like having tree frogs but not quite lol

Old 02-13-2007, 12:38 PM

117 posts, read 488,472 times
What are cicadas? What type of bug is it? why does it only come out every 17 years? (other than to mate), where does it live?

Old 02-13-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Cicada info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen1972 View Post
What are cicadas? What type of bug is it? why does it only come out every 17 years? (other than to mate), where does it live?
Here's a cool link for you:
http://www.cicadamania.com/gallery.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee