Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 20,313 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting East TN in Aug. I would like to retire to this area and maybe work a few days a week. I don't want to be isolated, maybe a gated community etc. Shopping.. mall movies etc BUT not with a zillion cars. Any comments would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 07:21 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcholly View Post
I will be visiting East TN in Aug. I would like to retire to this area and maybe work a few days a week. I don't want to be isolated, maybe a gated community etc. Shopping.. mall movies etc BUT not with a zillion cars. Any comments would help.
You might consider Crossville or Cookeville, TN. Both offer all of the goods and services you will ever need, but you normally should never find traffic jams in either city. Click on the link below to see a video done by the mayor of Crossville.

YouTube - Crossville - We're Ready

I plan to retire halfway between Crossville and Cookeville in about 6 years. I hope this helps.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 PM

70 posts, read 299,040 times
Hello!

You didn't provide much information regarding your interests or needs and I was also wondering what part of the country you are coming from and whether you now live in an urban or rural area. These considerations all weigh heavily on any decision you make relative to a future home here in Tennessee. My wife and I are empty nesters and have lived here in this area - halfway between Chattanooga & Knoxville for about 20 years. We absolutely love it and even prefer it to other "hot" spots in the state for any of several reasons. We presently live in the country on sbout 7 acres (cows across the street, horses next door, open pastureland, and frontage on a 20-foot wide creek). Yet, a Super Wal-Mart is just 15 minutes up the road. The largest mall in Tennessee (at least it used to be) is about 35 minutes down toward Chattanooga and another large mall as well as new shopping areas are in the West Knoxville area - about 45 minutes in the other direction. We also live only about 2 1/2 hours from Atlanta, if you want to visit the really big city!

I'd be happy to try and answer any questions about this little corner of the world, if you're interested.

Last edited by Marka; 09-12-2008 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: ad

Old 06-05-2008, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 20,313 times
Smile RE: Relocating

I'm from Middletown NY (but born and lived for 38 years in Brooklyn NY)which is about 80 from NYC. I retired from NYPD serving 25 Years. I've considered moving to Florida, but I and my wife love mountains and the four seasons. I live across from a dairy farm (the cows etc still roam almost free). My wife and I enjoy plays, movies shopping and going out to eat. I know when I move to whatever area my family (son and daughters) would follow at some point as well as two neighbors (we do cruises together). In fact my neighbor is also joining us in Aug to scout out the area. I will post again. I hope this addional info helps.

PS My cousin just relocated to Barlett (her job) in April and loves it.......

Old 06-05-2008, 07:51 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcholly View Post
I'm from Middletown NY (but born and lived for 38 years in Brooklyn NY)which is about 80 from NYC. I retired from NYPD serving 25 Years. I've considered moving to Florida, but I and my wife love mountains and the four seasons. I live across from a dairy farm (the cows etc still roam almost free). My wife and I enjoy plays, movies shopping and going out to eat. I know when I move to whatever area my family (son and daughters) would follow at some point as well as two neighbors (we do cruises together). In fact my neighbor is also joining us in Aug to scout out the area. I will post again. I hope this addional info helps.

PS My cousin just relocated to Barlett (her job) in April and loves it.......
I assume you mean Bartlett? That's a fast-growing suburb of Memphis, and trust me Memphis is unlike anywhere else in Tennessee. I happen to love Memphis, but if you want mountains and four seasons, avoid Memphis. It's FLAT. And as some people in Memphis like to say, Memphis has two seasons: summer and Christmas.

Since you like to travel so much, does that mean you need to be relatively close to an airport? If that's the case, then I'm afraid East Tennessee might be a disappointment. All 3 airports in E TN are small and VERY expensive: Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Tri Cities.

Nashville, on the other hand, has a much larger airport and is a hub for Southwest Airlines meaning it's got cheap flights to all over the country.

As jguillot mentioned, the Cumberland Plateau might be a place for you to consider. It's roughly half way between Nashville and Knoxville and has deep gorges, lakes, waterfalls (including the tallest east of the Rockies), and it's a very popular retirement area. Cookeville and Crossville are the two largest towns, Cookeville being by far the largest, but Crossville has several large retirement communities such as Fairfield Glade and Lake Tansi and is the self-proclaimed "golf capital of Tennessee."

Cookeville is a university town and has more restaurants, shopping and entertainment and is closer to Nashville (1 hour east of the Nashville airport). But Crossville is the more popular retirement area, although both towns are among the 9 communities the state is promoting to retirees. Retire Tennessee

Because of the plateau's higher elevation, the temperatures are generally several degrees cooler than in either Nashville or Knoxville and with lower humidity.

And what the heck, here are some pics of scenes from the Cumberland Plateau:

Fall Creek Falls (tallest waterfall east of the Rockies)

Burgess Falls (just outside of Cookeville)

http://www.wadih-ghsoubi.com/Nature/1/original/Burgess%20Falls%20in%20Early%20Spring,%20Tennessee .jpg (broken link)

Center Hill Lake (near Cookeville)

Big South Fork National Recreation Area (north of Crossville)

Standing Stone State Park (north of Cookeville)

Fairfield Glade (near Crossville)

Cumberland Cove (a development between Cookeville and Crossville where jguillot and wife purchased property for their retirement)

White Plains (development next to Cookeville)

Crossville

Cookeville

Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 PM

67 posts, read 383,398 times
all over this forum, your pictures are making me so eager to be in cookeville! the city should really hire you for public relations!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:44 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fntintn View Post
all over this forum, your pictures are making me so eager to be in cookeville! the city should really hire you for public relations!
haha thanks! I sure wish I could help you move to Cookeville and help your husband get a job! I love the Cumberland Plateau region of Tennessee and think Cookeville is a true gem.

Oh, and I forgot to add (for copyright purposes) that those pics in my previous post were found on Google Images, and I admit that I took some of those pics...

Old 06-06-2008, 08:46 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,645 times
JMT,

I think fntintn is right. The city of Cookeville should hire you for public relations. You do a great job in letting readers know all about the great things to be found all over the Cumberland Plateau. It might be worth looking into when you retire and move to Cookeville. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I always enjoy seeing them.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:59 AM

103 posts, read 335,166 times
I agree....those pictures are great, JMT! I've been to all those areas though and it is even more beautiful than the pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee